R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Used  (Read 3151 times)

j.hall

The Used
« on: March 29, 2005, 08:55:16 AM »

i got a free copy of their most recent record, "in love and death".

i was sort of excited about getting it and was hopeful that it was something a bit different then what is going on right now.

BUT NOPE.

it's only slightly better then coheed and cambria, and that isn't saying much.

at least the production is listenable.  coheed and cambria is down right AWFUL.

i'm getting sick of all these "sing a bit and have the bass player scream something in the chorus" bands.

it's played out, boring, uninventive, and really starting to piss me off.

NelsonL

Re: The Used
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 09:40:36 AM »

Hey what did you expect?

The name of the band refers to the quality of their ideas... used like an '87 dodge colt vista.

el duderino

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 01:11:33 PM »

there's a zillion bands that sound just like them. Warped Tour  is practically one song played all fuckin day, just insert a different guy jumping around. Alot of those bands are breaking up tho and the ones that aren't are scared shitless about their forthcoming second albums.

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 01:32:24 PM »

Assman wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 12:11

Alot of those bands are breaking up tho and the ones that aren't are scared shitless about their forthcoming second albums.

they should be scared.  when you chase trends with your art, you have to be scared out of your mind at where the trends are going that you are chasing.....all the time.

the thing that keeps getting to me is all these bands chase green day.  and green day is still making multi-platinum records and has gained more credibility now then ever before.

weihfool

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 01:41:27 PM »

Assman wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 13:11

... Warped Tour  is practically one song played all fuckin day, just insert a different guy jumping around.

My friend played W.T. a few summers back and he said it felt like you could walk into the middle of the field at the beginning of the show, close your eyes for 6 hours, and not know if you were listening to the same band.  

It's hysterical that they call it "punk" when everyone looks the same, dresses the same, has the same star tattoos, and listens to the same shitty copy-cat bands...

although, I guess on some level, we're all ripping somebody off, right?

anyone?

Bueller?

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 03:30:17 PM »

weihfool wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 12:41

although, I guess on some level, we're all ripping somebody off, right?

anyone?

Bueller?

hahahahaha
nicely done.

i don't think for one second that my band isn't ripping off anything.

i just know that the people that might like our music haven't heard what i'm ripping off.

so it works out for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahaha

pg666

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 04:28:05 PM »

is that dude from (hah) Goldfinger still writing their records? that was the rumor for awhile..

brandondrury

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 01:03:39 AM »

I had the pleasure of going to the Taste of Chaos tour a few weeks ago.  It had like 10 bands who all sounded the same, except there was one Pantera rip off their.  Apparently, these two styles respect each other because they both scream.  The only band that had a hint of songwriting was The Used.  The other bands were just their to give something to go with the screaming.

Actually, I hated nearly every second I was at the show. I'm not even sure why I went... fighting my age, I guess.  Anyway, the real pleasure came when we got back to the car after the show.  Nothing happened, I just don't remember being that excited about getting in a car.  This, of course, would stem from the fact that I wanted to leave the show from the time I got there.

I liked the first The Used record.  It seamed different to me, but I'm out of the loop.  Now, I've recorded so many bands that use The Used as their justification for screaming all day that I found the second album hard to swallow.

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 09:28:36 AM »

there isn't that much screaming on the second record.

which is what makes it more cliche.  it's the whole, lead singer, that plays nothing, sings pretty in the chorus while the bass player of guitar player SCREAMS a counter part (which is typically the title of the song) inbetween the pretty vocals.

Punkity

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 10:18:09 AM »

I'm trying to remember when this singo/screamo style started. The first band I can remember that did this was Picasso Trigger out of Chapel Hill back, oh, around 10-11 years ago.

Anyone else hazard a guess?
Signage of the times.

xonlocust

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 11:14:40 AM »

the pixies did it (only it was good) with kim's super pretty voice contrasted with frank black's howling.

this whole neo emo stuff is so not my bag.  and calling it screamo doesnt do it justice - i love me some locust, and that's some screamo, romulan shit - but the whole current shit...

the best is how vastly different all these bands that get called "emo" are.

you've got your first wave emo/fugazi-ish. (not crap)
then your promise ring/braid/rainer maria era emo - (crap)
then your cursive (kinda resurgence of first wave) - (not crap)
then your get up kids/vagrant stuff - (crap)
then your san diego/locust/vss/gsl/screamo stuff - (not crap)
then your deep elm stuff - (crap)
then your at the drive in - (not crap)
then your inspired by at the drive in shit that follows, everything we're talking about now  - (crap)

i was playing a show recently (with some neo-emo band opening) and discussing with one of my band mates, remember 4 years ago when all the opening bands were pop-punk bands? and how we hated them so much? well, give me back the pop punk back over this.

i'm sick of the 5150 or mesa half stack and line 6 delay pedal.  i blame omar rodriguez.  mars volta is totally excepted and has the green light, but this crap they're inspiring.... crap.

oh yeah and
sparta - (crap)
mars volta - (not crap) cuz they rewrote thier game.  unfortunately i predict many more bands trying to write 14 minute epics and even more delay pedal.

oh, i also blame thursday (crap).  they're probably more responsible for today's state than ATDI (not crap).

my .02 rant for the day. ymmv.

and what about stuff like pinback, 3 mile pilot, black heart procession? that can almost go under the emo umbrella, but has nothing to do with "emo" as it's known by the big guys in the upper forums. and on the other end of the spectrum the vida blue/10 grand.... all not crap.

wtf - did i just nominate myself the emo expert or something? shoot me.

j.hall

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 01:02:01 PM »

what about the early san diego scene that started a lot of this.

drive like jehu
aminiature
rocket from the crypt
pitch fork

all NOT crap.

lord

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 01:02:31 PM »

xonlocust wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 10:14

BANG

Nice job playing crap/not-crap with yourself though!

xonlocust

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 01:20:35 PM »

lord wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 12:02

xonlocust wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 10:14

BANG

Nice job playing crap/not-crap with yourself though!

yes - it's sad - sometimes i get on my soapbox and just keep on going! it's a RUNAWAY TRAIN!!

Chad Sims

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 06:46:11 PM »

Of course all those screamo bands are breaking up.  How else are they gonna become dance rock bands before that fad is over?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.