R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Akai 1214 Tape Transfers ????????  (Read 3384 times)

Dennis Allen Cupp

Akai 1214 Tape Transfers ????????
« on: March 17, 2005, 01:06:17 PM »

I have several Akai 1214 tapes from YEEEEEARS ago that need to be archived digitally.

I remember Harvy once saying he had one.

Does Harvy, or ANYONE else know of a facility that could help me out with this??

Many Thanks!

Dennis Cupp

Dennis@austinallen.com

hargerst

Re: Akai 1214 Tape Transfers ????????
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 02:31:36 PM »

Believe it or not, I had a guy in Fort Worth who needed some Akai tapes transfered for his church.  When I told him my Akai needed some cleaning, he offered his church's service tech, who completely overhauled the deck for free, in exchange for transfering his tapes.  

So, my Akai is back up and running like a champ.  I can transfer Akai tapes to ProTools format on DVDs, broadcast wav files, or to Hard Disk, or to Tascam DA-XX format.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Blinkbev0209

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 08:27:24 AM »

what kind of tapes does a akai 1214 12 track recorder take?
some 1 told me betamax and some 1 else said akai mk20 cassete plz respond quick

hargerst

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:05:15 AM »

Blinkbev0209 wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 07:27

what kind of tapes does a akai 1214 12 track recorder take?
some 1 told me betamax and some 1 else said akai mk20 cassete plz respond quick

Do not use Betamax video tapes in the Akai 1214 !!!  It uses a special 1/2" EE audio tape formulation.  Here's what happened:

When Akai originally designed the Akai 1212, they had a deal with Sony to use the Betamax cartridge case, but loaded with audio tape rather than video tape.  Why?  Because fabricating a new shell would be very expensive.

At the last minute, Sony decided that having Betamax shells on the market (with audio tape inside) might confuse their video customers, so they pulled their agreement with Akai. This left Akai scrambling for a new source, since the tape compartment was already designed for Sony Betamax-sized cartridges.  Akai came up with a few modifications and that's how the MK-20 tape cartridges came into being.

If you have an MK-20 cartridge with broken tape, you can reload it with 1/2" Maxell EE (high energy) audio tape, and it will work fine. Using video tape (which is much thinner) won't sound very good, and could damage the deck.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 17 queries.