R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help - layout and dimensions of small studio - urgent!!! ;)  (Read 1273 times)

Merlin

Hello all,

I've had a bit of a look through the Study Hall, and searched here on "layout" but not found too much, so I hope someone reading this can give me a pointer or two...

I'm a keyboard player currently living in Thailand, and at the club where I play there's a room that was a minimart not being used. One day I was talking to the owner about maybe it would be a good idea to put a recording room in there. Well he's going ahead with it!!  Shocked  
I came in today and they've ripped out all the old ceiling and fixed up the tiles and generally getting ready for the re-fit.

So now he's asking me where I want things, so we can run wiring for power and lights etc. I explained the "room within a room" concept as I've read about a little bit on the web for soundproofing. Naturally I've got a lot of questions about soundproofing and ventilation/airconditioning too, but I'll save that for another post.

So now I'd like some input on the topic of room layout...

My concept is for the room to be a rehearsal/recording room, where a band can come in and work on songs, hear them back, fix things up etc and produce demo level CDs. I myself play keyboard and I expect I will be spending a lot of time in there by myself working on my own stuff and doing remixes etc.

The room I've got is 7.7M x 2.7M with a 2.8M ceiling [atm...]. All soundproofing etc will have to fit within this space. There's a shop on one side and a disco on the other. At one end of the room is the front door; at the other end is a rest room/shower.
I'm leaning towards not even having a control room as such - it will make things like aircon etc more complex, plus I think if I split the room up it will be a bit cramped for a whole band. Plus I want to be able to playback mixes for several people at once for comments/review, so the "sweet spot" will need to be kinda large. [like, maybe a couch? Rolling Eyes ]

Can anyone give me any heads up on potential problems bass wise with these dimensions? How would you layout the room? Control area up one end? What about the layout of the desk, keyboards, and monitors [both the speakers and the LCDs]?

Any good web pages or examples I can look at?

oh, and one last thing: if this is not the proper forum to post this in, please suggest a better place...

TIA for all help!!!  Cool
--
Merlin Zener
Piano, Synthesizer
Thailand.

Barry Hufker

Re: Please help - layout and dimensions of small studio - urgent!!! ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 04:49:23 PM »

Merlin,

You are asking all the questions that make studio designers rich.  Studio design, control room design... to do them right is a tough thing.  That is why a lot of popular designers tend to have a similar look in their room designs.  It is something they have been refining for the last 20 years and aren't about to change a proven concept.

My best advice -- and I think this is perfect advice for you -- is to read F. Alton Everest's "Master Handbook of Acoustics" and the extremely practical "How To Build A Small Budget Studio From Scratch."  The latter comes with 12 actual designs.

Barry

tetrahedron

Alright, breaks over, back on your head..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.