R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody watch "Hit Me One More Time" last night?  (Read 2075 times)

Keyplayer

Anybody watch "Hit Me One More Time" last night?
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:52:45 PM »

A battle of the bands for "has beens," what a concept. Idea

Lover Boy and Flock of Seagulls really let themselves go, as has Tiffany. Based on skills, CeCe Peniston should have won last night. Instead "Arrested Development" pulled the top honors. At least the girls in that group could sing.

My biggest gripe about the whole thing and any of the other shows in that genre (American Idol, etc.) is  Why won't anybody sing a song in a key that's comfortable for them? How hard could it be to lower the song a whole step and then really belt it out IN TUNE? It's ridiculous watching "Pros"(???) trying to "hang on" or watching new talent (like the A. I. kids) ruin their voices for no reason at all. Shoot, even Michael Jackson had sense enough to lower the keys on his early hits after his voice changed.

Is there some unwritten rule in Hollywood that you HAVE to strain on your material, or are they just not comfortable with transposing a song?

Bob Thing

Re: Anybody watch "Hit Me One More Time" last night?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 04:23:05 PM »

I don't know, personally when I hear a band do that, it bugs me.

In the Steely Dan "Aja" DVD, they do just that--transpose down (a whole step, I think) so Donald Fagen can hit the notes without straining.

Rush has been doing it for years now, since there's no way Geddy can sing "2112" anymore.

Even though I understand why they do it, it still bugs me to hear the song in the wrong key.  But yeah, better that than ugly singing.

scott oliphant

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 11:09:32 PM »

i don't think many of the people you here straining now actually could MAKE the decision to drop the song a step or two. They have been so far removed from the musical / songwriting process (i know i know they all say they co wrote their latest records) that they probably wouldn't even know who to ask. There might (cough) be some out there that don't even know what transpose means. All they need to do is stay skinny, in shape, and keep their face pretty. But, more and more I find myself having a hard time blaming them for taking the carrot that the record guys hang in front of them and almost feel bad (almost) when something like the ashlee simpson mtv thing happens.

jfrigo

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 11:14:46 PM »

Keyplayer wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 10:52

A battle of the bands for "has beens," what a concept. Idea

Lover Boy and Flock of Seagulls really let themselves go, as has Tiffany. Based on skills, CeCe Peniston should have won last night. Instead "Arrested Development" pulled the top honors. At least the girls in that group could sing.

My sister called and said to check it out so I watched a bit. I thought A.D. performed well. They still deliver a professional show. The first three, as you mention, have really gone to seed.

maxim

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 05:19:37 AM »

scott's comment notwithstanding, imo, the straining is an essential part of any performance

who wants to see some old fart cruising thru his/her repertoire?

where's the excitement?

it's the common thread between the sports and the arts

people (sometimes) would rather see one try and fail than never try at all

but there is nothing that can match seeing one try and succeed

also, when you try and sing in a higher key, the buzz in your voice increases

Eric Bridenbaker

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 07:55:05 AM »

It's important to get the key and tempo of a song right. Changing keys for the singer's sake is valid, but not as strong a reason as changing keys for the song's sake.

Anytime I'm working on a new tune, I'll try playing around with a few different keys and tempos to make sure the song feels right.

Vocals are a consideration, yet the main thing is to get the key color and tempo to jive. This is very important in the delivery of a song.

maxim wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 05:19

scott's comment notwithstanding, imo, the straining is an essential part of any performance

who wants to see some old fart cruising thru his/her repertoire?

where's the excitement?

it's the common thread between the sports and the arts

people (sometimes) would rather see one try and fail than never try at all

but there is nothing that can match seeing one try and succeed

also, when you try and sing in a higher key, the buzz in your voice increases

I don't see that straining the voice beyond its range is necessary for an impassioned performance, or a very effective way to go about singing. Though it quite often sounds that singers are straining, in reality this technique lacks projection  and cannot be sustained for any length of time live or in the studio.

There is far more effect in having control over the grit, cracks and pops within the range of power. Controlling that energy so that there are explosive reserves during those moments when the singer decides to hit the kill switch and burn down the house. This is anything but a sunday drive....it's the real deal.

Cheers,
Eric

gtoledo3

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 09:19:51 AM »

Well,

I think with some of the performers, it was not so much about appropriate key, as it was that their voices were just not in shape. I mean, there was NO appropriate key for the Flock of Seagulls guy.

With Tiffany, it was not neccesarily the high notes that she didn't get....for instance when she goes something like "tumble to the groung and then we SAY"...instead of hitting the root note, she hit a third up....would have been ok, but she hit a little flat. It was more about her trying to embellish the songs and it not quite coming off right.

I think that CeCe did pretty good, but I have to disagree with the assesment that Arrested Development did not deserve to win.

While CeCe did a respectable job with a simple cover, Arrested Development reinvented the Los Lonely Boys tune. More importantly, they were probably better than they originally were! CeCe was good, but let it go a little. She also hit a couple notes that weren't exactly right, but didn't sound horrible either... like instead of singing a run, root , third, fith.... she sang, root, fourth, fifth. Not a humongous deal, but not exactly right.

I was very impressed with Arrested Development, and enjoyed them more than I did during their original run. They entertained, and everything was INTENTIONAL. If you aren't into rap, you might not have been moved. I personally, would love to see what they can still do. It was a breath of fresh air to hear someone approaching rap in that way.

jfrigo

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 11:07:31 AM »

gtoledo3 wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 06:19

Well,

While CeCe did a respectable job with a simple cover, Arrested Development reinvented the Los Lonely Boys tune. More importantly, they were probably better than they originally were!

Good point - A.D.'s remake was good. Flock just sounded like a mediocre wedding band trying to do their cover while A.D. gave us something new and genuine in their own style.

Gideon

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 11:48:43 AM »

Keyplayer wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 13:52

Why won't anybody sing a song in a key that's comfortable for them? How hard could it be to lower the song a whole step and then really belt it out IN TUNE?  

This (rhetorical) question should be placed on giant billboards along every major thoroughfare in New York and LA. Let's set up a 501c3 and take up a collection; I'll make the first contribution.
Gideon Egger
May Ying Music, Inc.
Hell's Kitchen NYC

I put 4 compressors in series and i got more Milk and Cream and Thick sound out of the audio but why?

-Walters

Bryson

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 06:02:41 AM »

Keyplayer wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 10:52

Why won't anybody sing a song in a key that's comfortable for them? How hard could it be to lower the song a whole step and then really belt it out IN TUNE?

The drummer couldn't do it.

compasspnt

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 04:32:14 PM »

Just had to comment...after these postings about last week's show, which I  did not watch, I did watch last night's.

UMMM...

What a show!  I must say that The Motel's version of "Don't Know Why" was one of the worst things I ever saw.  They took a great new song and stripped it of any melody and emotion.

This show is something else...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.