R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: "Restoration" shootout: Livin La Vida Loca  (Read 20681 times)

Level

Re: "Restoration" shootout: Livin La Vida Loca
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2005, 09:06:56 AM »

I do believe if people grow acustomed to a "flat line" mix, any change at all will appear unnatural per say..because the "real one" is the original mix. All I did was differentiate levels depending on how many instruments are active, akin to how real performances sound.

I would call this "expansion" if I used an expanded. Since I did mine by hand (for better or worse) it is volume mapping. (Another one of my misunderstood and wierd terms, no doubt)

The region lines should transfer for anyone opening the file in the wav editor.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bobkatz

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2005, 09:53:04 AM »

dcollins wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 23:03

Level wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 19:33

No expanders were used in my restoration attempt. All done by EQ and volume mapping.

Where is Bob Katz in this "restoration" test?  

He was the first guy that I ever heard being critical of this mix.

Because I believe it is a hopeless case. You can't shine a turd. I'm also skeptical that any human being can MANUALLY "volume map" the short-term microdynamics back into something that was this smashed without using some kind of an expander tied to the movement of the material. But forget about it, there's no movement there to trigger an expander. As far as I'm concerned, it's a dead issue and the distortion can never be removed. This could very well be the case of Dave Collins' "is this really just different pumping".

I admire the masochism but I have to go with my gut feelings on this. If I see someone who listens to Chris's or Bills' or anyone's restoration and saying "Wow, this really sounds much better", I'll wake up and take a listen, but until then I don't have time to listen to a bunch of guys experiments on what I believe is truly a dead corpse.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

chrisj

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2005, 10:36:19 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 09:53

Because I believe it is a hopeless case. You can't shine a turd. I'm also skeptical that any human being can MANUALLY "volume map" the short-term microdynamics back into something that was this smashed without using some kind of an expander tied to the movement of the material. But forget about it, there's no movement there to trigger an expander. As far as I'm concerned, it's a dead issue and the distortion can never be removed. This could very well be the case of Dave Collins' "is this really just different pumping".

I admire the masochism but I have to go with my gut feelings on this. If I see someone who listens to Chris's or Bills' or anyone's restoration and saying "Wow, this really sounds much better", I'll wake up and take a listen, but until then I don't have time to listen to a bunch of guys experiments on what I believe is truly a dead corpse.

Aw, Bob, you're not even gonna LISTEN? At least listen to mine- I'm the guy who re-synched your Shuttle Launch files for you, remember? I did have a guy say 'wow this really sounds much better' though they meant 'better than the exaggerated version you had before'.

I don't think Bill is putting anything like microdynamics in- sounds like he's putting in large-scale macrodynamics of the sort I decided not to use. I have to take issue to one of your statements, though, as follows:

There is movement, loads of movement, and it tracks the dynamic shifts very accurately but it is not peak amplitude. It's average level that is shifting. If you don't believe that, you should be listening to my 'Exaggerated' example (an mp3) because it makes the point pretty obviously (even though it is too exaggerated to sound right). If other people's expanders aren't tracking that well, maybe they're not trying to track as much of an average, or they aren't adjusting the transfer function of the track like mine is.

To me the really interesting thing is the way in which use of tape saturation plugins, etc. produce a file where the dynamics are encapsulated in levels of distortion, which isn't typically a 'hard clip' distortion. You could put a really clean compressor on it instead, and my shenanigans would be rendered completely helpless (and it wouldn't sound anything like as 'smashed'). It is the distortion itself, the 'smash' that serves as something to track... all you have to do is track the average absolute value, and there it is...

Which gives rise to the question of whether you can address this as Bill did, by trying to unsmash the tone with EQ and then reassigning volume levels. I think to some extent this is in error, because smash (in the sense of overdrive/saturation) is not an EQ issue. It's a transfer function akin to Line 6 POD- and as such it is to some extent reversible.

If you have a guitar going through a tube amp its hottest peaks get squished. If you ignore issues like rectifier sag you've got a 'squish' that's not really compresson because there's no time base on it- it just reassigns the volume levels like assigning a transfer function on a sample by sample basis. No matter what frequency you put in, you get a similar 'saturation' out. By the same token, if you have the resolution you can put the saturation in, apply the exact opposite transform and get the 'source' out- or at least a lot closer to the source than you would get with EQ, because it isn't any particular frequency being applied and removed, it's relative to the shape of the amplitude space (cue DC, whistling the theme from Lost In Amplitude Space).

In effect, the expansion I was doing, since it also involves some of the straight transfer function remap stuff, is simultaneously trying to undistort the baritone surf guitar, the horns, the vocals, and everything else. I think it liked the stuff that was more saturated- stuff that seemed more L1, like the snare I kept trying to unbury, tended to confuse my routine and didn't respond as well. The stuff where dynamic punch extended into the bass worked very nicely because it tended to give a real clear signal to the expander, 'this is more dense, see?' and the expander would kick in rapidly to put dynamic kick behind the bass content.

C'mon, Bob, be a sport. We may be daft but we're trying such different things! And the recording is NOT junk. On the contrary, it's a very interesting experiment, kind of like pre-emphasis. Think of it as like being Dolby encoded- how do you decode?

Level

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2005, 10:42:26 AM »

Quote:

I'll wake up and take a listen, but until then I don't have time to listen to a bunch of guys experiments on what I believe is truly a dead corpse.

Then why comment?

If someone wants to post the before and after wav shapes of the entire files, that may help to show that some dynamics were enhanced here. I do believe the entire point of this is to enhance dynamics or try to restore ones killed in mastering or 2mix compression.

Dynamically enhanced below.

I am out. I did what I could. Standing by to read comments.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bobkatz

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2005, 02:44:06 PM »

chrisj wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 10:36

C'mon, Bob, be a sport. We may be daft but we're trying such different things! And the recording is NOT junk. On the contrary, it's a very interesting experiment, kind of like pre-emphasis. Think of it as like being Dolby encoded- how do you decode?

OK, I'll take the plunge....  stay tuned! But don't ask me to "compete", I really feel this is like polishing a turd. Like, I really don't care what the difference is between "shit" and "shit made slightly less gory". If this is the kind of stuff that DC said "cannot be reversed", then I'm on his side for once.

However, I've seen some pretty dramatic miracles with AI-based DSP done by one of my very scientific colleagues, including "de-verberation", believe it or not. I am not at liberty to mention his name as he likes to stay out of the limelight.  If he decides to take on the chore of "using Artificial Intelligence to restore smashed material", there might be some very interesting and potentially pleasant-sounding results.

BK

bobkatz

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2005, 02:52:35 PM »

Level wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 10:42

Quote:

I'll wake up and take a listen, but until then I don't have time to listen to a bunch of guys experiments on what I believe is truly a dead corpse.

Then why comment?

I wasn't commenting on the entire thread, as you can see. I was politely and completely laying out of the conversation until DC asked a question I could not refuse to answer. In my heart I was encouraging you guys but in my head I felt it was a fruitless task.

Now I will comment when I have a moment to listen to your efforts. As for waveforms, in general I find them to be relatively uninformative. I had a piece of material that was horribly squashed and distorted the other day whose waveform looked pretty darn normal.

BK

Level

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2005, 02:55:01 PM »

The only one that "counts" that I did is the "BR/complete". The other two are steps to get there. Hardly complete.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

dave-G

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2005, 03:53:59 PM »

I don't know what the hell I'm doing listening to this stuff on a lovely Saturday afternoon, except that I do seem to be successfully avoiding spraying RoundUp on the weeds around my house ...

So I listened to Chris', Bill's, Ed's and Jeff's files, apparent-level-matching with the original as best as I can.

I know nobody asked me, and few of you know me well enough to care, and I ain't doing this myself... but here are my observations:

Chris' restoration sounds like a small, and reasonable improvement in dynamics that's almost natural enough to "buy it"..  If this were the released version of the song, it would still be worthy of complaint, but the kicks do kick a wee bit harder, and there's just a little more impact to the impacts, and nothing else seems terribly side-effected ...  Jeff's I could pretty much say the same about, except not quite as lifted sounding on things like kick-attacks.  Ed's was also doing okay dynamically but sounded more "changed" in its frequency/tone shape.

And then  .. Well, Bill's was just weird..  Yes it had "more dynamics", but by quantity only.. and it felt grainy and tonally lumpy ... but .. well..   it was kinda like an ugly transvestite in a room full of ugly women.. (No offense, Charles)

Maybe that's a bad metaphor.. Sorry Bill,  I don't really mean to be cruel.  I just think your cure was worse than the disease, and proof that a more dynamic-looking waveform doesn't make for a better sounding result.

.. And no offense intended to transvestites

In all, I kinda agree with Bob that this is futile. What's improved in all these files is still not enough to call it "restored", IMO... but if I were asked to master something for someone whose mix was smashed to hell, unrecallable, unremixable and the client insisted on trying something, I'd probably send the task to king-kook™ Chris..  

Now I'm off to be an herbicidal maniac with what's left of the afternoon.
-dg
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

Level

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2005, 05:13:11 PM »

Quote:

Yes it had "more dynamics", but by quantity only.. and it felt grainy and tonally lumpy ... but .. well.. it was kinda like an ugly transvestite in a room full of ugly women..

Wow, I thought that was RM's whole point.  Twisted Evil

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

chrisj

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2005, 05:36:36 PM »

From Hans, again:
Quote:

if you don't mind, to the forum: "minor EQ change" and the URL
http://members.chello.at/hmp_web/LaVidaLocaClip_hTR3.mp3
whenever you got spare time, no need to hurry
regards
hans

chrisj

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2005, 08:12:37 PM »

I would note that while I sweated blood and invented the square wheel to get the results I got, if anyone would be good enough to COMPLAIN about it I could probably take advantage of that and fix the problem.

I mean, woo hoo and all, but I still want to improve. What's NOT being helped at all? Tonalities still real smashed? Not any large-scale dynamic shifts and you want to see some? Quieter background? Concept just impossible anyway so it's ridiculous of me to even attempt? Help me out here.

I'm sure a legitimate criticism would be "Hey. what's the matter with you, can't you hear for yourself what's still messed up?" but unfortunately it's too fresh so I don't have that perspective. I wouldn't mind a few pointers.

dcollins

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2005, 01:53:57 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 11:52

I was politely and completely laying out of the conversation until DC asked a question I could not refuse to answer. In my heart I was encouraging you guys but in my head I felt it was a fruitless task.

"For example, Bob's invented a process called microdynamic enhancement, that can restore or simulate the liveliness and life that you'll find in a great live recording. Bob's used it to get more of a big-band feel on a MIDI dominated jazz recording. He's used it to put life back into an overly-compressed (or poorly-compressed) rock recording."

That's life, but how do YOU put it back?  

In the next paragraph, things take a turn:

"It's really useful and extraordinary--it actually helps remove some of the veils introduced in multi-generation mixdowns, tape saturation and sound "shrinkage" attributable to using opamps or negative feedback in audio mixing consoles. Bob's microdynamic enhancement process is achieved totally in the digital domain."

Q. What does negative feedback sound like?  
A. No one really knows.

Q. What do Opamps sound like?
A. Whoops, same answer!

Q. Are great records _made_ with multi-generations?
A. Come on, same thing again?

Q. And Tape Saturation?
A. Growth industry, or something for Bob to "fix?"

Q. "Shrinkage"
A. (Seinfeld joke here)

Or is it "Mastering Mystified?"

DC

bobkatz

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2005, 08:27:10 AM »

dcollins wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 01:53

bobkatz wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 11:52

I was politely and completely laying out of the conversation until DC asked a question I could not refuse to answer. In my heart I was encouraging you guys but in my head I felt it was a fruitless task.

"For example, Bob's invented a process called microdynamic enhancement, that can restore or simulate the liveliness and life that you'll find in a great live recording. Bob's used it to get more of a big-band feel on a MIDI dominated jazz recording. He's used it to put life back into an overly-compressed (or poorly-compressed) rock recording."

That's life, but how do YOU put it back?  

Upward expansin works real well around here when there's at least a little life left in the source material. No secrets around here. No "Livin La Vida Loca" sources. Just mixes which the mix engineer went a bit too overboard on the compression side and which when he hears the master is very pleased with the result. None of this means anything without happy clients, of course. The term I call  "Microdynamic Enhancement" is the skillful use of the upward expander to produce a more lively and musical result.

Quote:

In the next paragraph, things take a turn:

DC ought to quit complaining about things which I do and he disagrees with and write his own book about Mastering, call it "Bob Katz, The Devil, Made Me Do It."

turtletone

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2005, 08:20:20 PM »

Now that's funny Laughing
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

chrisj

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2005, 08:53:38 PM »

chrisj wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 20:12

What's NOT being helped at all? Tonalities still real smashed? Not any large-scale dynamic shifts and you want to see some? Quieter background?

Well then, I'll just work on the stuff I mentioned.

What stuck out for me was that I wasn't trying to get that large scale dynamic stuff happening- that was disappointing- what I ended up doing was actually inspired by Bill Roberts 'volume mapping'. I took my expander code and split it- it was already triggering off a blend of two 'remaps', so I took the one that crushed quiet stuff down to zilch, and assigned that to a super-slow-response expander for big volume shifts. The other one, I made go real fast, and changed it so it bounced back real quick from loud bursts, and it became another flavor of expansion akin to Bob Katz's microdynamics expansion, and then there was the 'remap' stuff eaten raw (careful, you might catch something) which is beyond quick, totally crunchy and brittle, which brings out stuff like Hans was getting with the HF expansion.

Combine 'em all together and it started sounding like something. I pushed the expansion quite a bit harder without suffering too bad, this time.

Look for CJRestoration2.aiff and mp3 at

http://projects.euphonicmasters.com/restoration/

when I manage to upload the new aiff- 16 megs over a modem is not real quick. Maybe THIS time people will be like 'yay, it sounds like it was never smashed!'.

Off to upload Smile
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 19 queries.