R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you scared?  (Read 8946 times)

dcollins

Re: Tha Mastering Engineer's Hippocratic Oath, was Re: Are you scared?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2005, 12:22:34 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Sat, 05 March 2005 03:46

I will apply corrective audio measures for the benefit of the sound and performance of the music and other sound which have been given to me to process, according to my ability and best judgment; I pledge not to do the sound harm or injustice, either through commission or omission of any act.

Obvious error #1, and why I thought you were kidding in the first place....

Music is subjective!

Calling processing "harm" or "injustice" etc., seems like you are talking murder here, not art!

Who are _you_ to say what's right?

I think BK has a "hubris" that likes to claim absolutes for audio where none can really exist.....

From monitor "standards" to "I can hear the 92 from the 93" you present a doctrine of "If it's not K-something you can't possibly like it."  

Basically "Bob can hear something that I can't."

Why is that?

Is it really true?

Quote:

I will not give a bad-sounding product to any client or anybody who (knowingly or unknowingly) asked for one, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. I will make every effort to instruct anybody who asks for a bad-sounding product the reasons why this product is or will be bad-sounding, and to show them how the product can be bettered by using more effective or different processing techniques. If the client continues to prefer a different result which I know to be bad-sounding, I will reluctantly deliver the product to them in as good a condition as I can make it within their proposed limitations. I will make it known to them, as tactfully as possible, that their choice has not been good in my professional opinion.

You can use the term "bad-sounding" one hundred times per paragraph and it adds exactly zero to our discussion here..........

Quote:

I will not use severely damaging processes on any audio product.

This would be my executive summary of why your post IS a joke, assuming you were actually being serious.  Back to point #1, really.

Quote:

I recognize that the definition of "damage" is in the ear of the listener, but that long experience and ear training help us to distinguish that which is harm from good. To that end I will make every effort to improve my abilities and knowledge, to truthfully say, "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better."

So how does Bob Katz, Mastering Engineer and have I mentioned author, propose to describe what is "severly damaging processing?"

How do you tell the client that he isn't happy?

Quote:

Whatever houses I may visit to do my work, I will come for the benefit of the music and sound, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief.

See what I mean about logrolling?

And mischief?  That's one of my specialties, but Bob wants to ban it........

Quote:

If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.

Not buying it. Well, the fame part, maybe.

And art, well that's why I'm here!

DC

bobkatz

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2005, 03:48:36 PM »

dcollins wrote on Mon, 07 March 2005 00:22

bobkatz wrote on Sat, 05 March 2005 03:46

I will apply corrective audio measures for the benefit of the sound and performance of the music and other sound which have been given to me to process, according to my ability and best judgment; I pledge not to do the sound harm or injustice, either through commission or omission of any act.

Obvious error #1, and why I thought you were kidding in the first place....

Music is subjective!

You sure can be a pain in the ass, DC; you would find shit under a plate on the dinner table because you want to be one. You ought to take the oath at its face value, which is a basic desire to help impart some ethics, values and collaboration amongst your fellow men.

This oath is both EVERYTHING and NOTHING. First it is NOTHING because nothing is defined---this is on purpose BECAUSE of the subjective nature of the very work we do. It should be obvious to your logic-impaired brain that the very subjectivity of the work we do imposed the language of the oath. Instead, you chose to criticise it by a) bringing up the OBVIOUS and b) not realizing the deeper meaning and intent.

NOTHING is defined---because the very work we do is subjective and variable. But at the same time the oath is EVERYTHING because it recognizes that there should be integrity and ethical purpose to our work. The oath asks all of us to speak up and not be silent when we feel we are "damaging" the sound in our own definition of "damage"; the oath covers the definition of "damage" as personal, yet also based on long-term experience and ear-training.

Have you ever "damaged" a piece of audio (in your definition of "damage") by the requests of a client? Have you not spoken up about it to the client or did you remain silent? Substitute your own term for the word "damage" if you don't like it, "smashed", "hypercompressed without sensitivity to the material", whatever you prefer.

One of the purpose of the oath is to urge us to speak up to the client and not remain silent when we feel that "damage" is being done to the material. Educating the client is part of the solution to the problem of bad mastering. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

-----

As for your remarks about the K-System, some people get it, some people understand its variability, and others, like you, get a thing up their ass because they think it's trying to limit you to some arbitrary series of numbers. Your cynicism should be replaced by a spirit of collaboration. I may like my cars red and you may like them blue, but the common ground is a system of defining what the colors are and how they work. Hundreds of engineers around the world seem to be getting it, kid.

Quote:

I think BK has a "hubris" that likes to claim absolutes for audio where none can really exist.....

Only if you try to twist my words into your own version of what you think they say.  There is some very real learning that can come from knowledge of how monitor gains interrelate with peak to average ratios, and how calibrated monitor gains work, the basis for the K-System. The other day I watched a movie with an excellent rock recording used as part of the soundtrack. It was reproduced at a good level, about 83 dB average to my guess, and it had plenty of clean transients. Knowing the standard calibrated theatrical monitor gain, I could easily conclude that this had to be a special music mix for the large theatre. I didn't need any meters to tell me. So there is a lot more to this system than simply talking about arbitrary meter readings; it is a POWERFUL system that allows you to learn something about the music recording simply by observing the monitor attenuator and listening!

Quote:

From monitor "standards" to "I can hear the 92 from the 93" you present a doctrine of "If it's not K-something you can't possibly like it."  

I've never said or implied that. I've talked about a scale of diminishing returns and it's illustrated in the honor roll. The only thing "absolute" about the system is the implication that "somewhere down there on the scale you will find something that you are not going to like." The point being that all responsible engineers realize that having a scale of measurement is the first way to help separate order from chaos. And I maintain that a situation where you can put in 10 different pop CDs made from 1980 through 2005 and they differ by as much as 14 dB in loudness is genuine CHAOS. Here are some quotes from the articles that you like to call "absolute":

"I hope that engineers will return to using compression as an esthetic device instead of trying to win the loudness race."

"The K-System can become the lingua franca of interchange within the industry, avoiding the current problem where different mix engineers work on parts of an album to different standards of loudness and compression."

"Even with slight deviations from the recommended practice, the music world will be far more consistent than the current chaos. Everyone should know the monitor gain they like to use."

"While practicing engineers may disagree as to the absolute point where the sound goes downhill, we all agree that point is definable."

I believe that point begins where the esthetic desires of the compression are overtaken by the loudness race, where the desire to "make it loud" next to another CD supercedes the esthetic requirements of the recording itself. Do you see any numbers there?

"This leads us to my K-System Proposal, a metering and monitoring standard that integrates the best concepts of the past with current knowledge in order to avoid the chaos of the last 20 years. It also develops a common language of levels, so that engineers can properly communicate."

So please quit with the b.s. and stop trying to put words in my mouth that I have not said or feelings that I have not expressed, feelings which have been echoed by so many of our colleagues in so many other manners on this very forum. Do you see the words "absolute requirement for an RMS" anywhere in this letter  Smile?

And please don't try to pick a quote out of context from my article(s) that appears to contradict what I'm saying here, because the whole is greater than any part taken out of context. And your spirit of collaboration should be as large as your own hubris. Oh, excuse me, sorry, I wasn't being collaborative in that last sentence.

Once again, if you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. In a world with no definitions, there is only chaos.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

bobkatz

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2005, 04:34:05 PM »

P.S., based on the positive responses I've gotten in emails about this, and the occasional negative comments I've seen on this board, I'd have to say that if this oath doesn't "make it", it will be because of hypocrites, not because of Hipocrates!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

natpub

Re: Are you scared?
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2005, 10:06:55 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 04:25

...there's no guarantee of winning this battle, but I will simply not cave in...

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 11:02

...I cut obscenely loud records from time to time to please artists...

????

This isnt my forum, Im just a musician in a band.

But, from reading your original topic post, I
disagree Brad:  You see, unlike you, I WOULD blame the bands. Not the labels, consumers, MP3 downloaders, nor the PEMM's.

I can (and often do) have producers, managers, investors, and AR guys all giving me all kinds of pressure to do this or that.  But if I cave-in as the artist and let some piece of garbage be put out with MY NAME on it, then I am the one responsible.

Ya'll's area is one part of things, and you can try to educate your artists; but that's about it--the rest is up to them.

While one can argue that every phase of the industry shares part of the responsibility to make a quality record, the buck has to stop somewhere, and IMO that is most definately the artist.

While one could argue that the money people at the top decide what gets put out, I would observe that I have never seen that to really be the case. The people decide, and they ultimately will and do respond to truth and quality.

Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

Ronny

Re: Are you scared?
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2005, 11:23:03 PM »

natpub wrote on Mon, 07 March 2005 22:06

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 04:25

...there's no guarantee of winning this battle, but I will simply not cave in...

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 11:02

...I cut obscenely loud records from time to time to please artists...

????

This isnt my forum, Im just a musician in a band.

But, from reading the original topic statement, I
disagree Brad:  You see, I WOULD blame the bands, not the labels, not the consumer, the MP3 downloaders, nor the PEMM's.

I can have producers, managers, investors, and AR guys all giving me all kinds of pressure(and I do), but if I cave-in as the artist and let some piece of garbage be put out with MY NAME on it, then I am the one responsible.

Ya'll's area is one part of things, and you can try to educate your artists, but that's about it--the rest is up to them.

While one can argue that every phase of the industry shares part of the responsibility to make a quality record, the buck has to stop somewhere, and IMO, that is most definately the artist.

The artist doesn't typically get control until they have proven themselves by selling lots of records and either renew the contract or run out of it and sign with another label. Some clients of mine, the band called Savannah to be exact, signed with Mercury Nashville several years ago, they put a full page ad in Billboard and were set up to tour with some of the other label acts like Merle Haggard, which would have given them the exposure that that truly deserved, they got into a debate over the music production and the label dropped their marketing budget like a lead ballon and cancelled the tour. Molly Hatchet not only didn't have any say so in the music, but had to buy their own albums for the family and friends when the first one was released on Epic. It went gold in a short time, so did the second and third, they didn't break even until their third tour and the label never gave them any of their own cd's. They resigned with Capitol after than, but it wasn't a lot better deal. Now none of the original members even own the name and the Molly Hatchet that is recording and touring today have no original members. It's a business and the artist usually has the last say so, until they renogiate. They are the first and last to get screwed in a lot of cases.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------