R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Famous Fifteen Minute Deaf Mix Story  (Read 47124 times)

Otitis Media

Re: The Famous Fifteen Minute Deaf Mix Story
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 11:21:31 AM »

After hearing that mix, it's official, I suck.  Damn.  Beautiful sounding gtrs.  
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

Level

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 11:38:33 AM »

Quote:

I bet you could even drive a car blindfolded ??!!  

(I heard Ray Charles use to drive his cars around at times in a big lot)
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Greg Dixon

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 07:47:54 PM »

rolyboy wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 02:55

I bet you could even drive a car blindfolded ??!! Razz

No, he needs to see the meters,but I assume he can fly on instruments, in zero visability. Cool

ericswan

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 09:30:24 PM »

jwhynot wrote:
Quote:

The tune sounded pretty nice - in fact I was well pleased. But after it was finished I heard the intro to the next tune on the 2" machine. Problem is, there were 2 2" machines, and the way the reels were balanced only a handful of the tracks from this next tune played. But the vocal, bass, main guitar and a few special details were there.

It sounded quite different from what I had intended - in fact the loudest voice was a harmony part in the chorus and the melody was a bit sublimated.

But I had to admit the "random" mix was more interesting - shed a whole new light on the song.

I've heard that Bob Clearmountain has done that on purpose when mixing; leave a mix up, levels, fx etc and then play the next song on the reel just to see how it comes up.

I've tried it myself and some of the most interesting mix ideas have come out of that.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." Oscar Wilde

Sacred Heart Studio
www.sacredheartstudio.net
www.myspace.com/sacredheartstudio

jwhynot

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 11:26:26 PM »

We're starting to move away from "Jeez Terry that was some pretty clever mixing" to lateral thinking, oblique-strategies kind of stuff.

I also heard a story that when Clearmountain was mixing the Boss Bruce would banish Bob from the CR for a minute near the end of the mix and just give the faders a shove here and there.

I'm afraid that wouldn't be that effective with me - when the SSL J9000 first came online it had a habit of occasionally slapping all the faders to the bottom when the computer was turned on...  I was mixing 100+ tracks of score at the time so I got in the habit of memorizing the mix - so I could pretty much put it back no matter what.

Comes in handy when you've got collaborators... who don't understand that turning one thing up doesn't always make it better in the mix...

It's a good trick - try giving yourself like 10 minutes to get a balance up - listen carefully with hands off - then bury all the faders and try to put the same balance up in one go.

It's crazy at first but quite quickly you get the knack - it's like getting good at scales - it's not really mixing but a good bit of chops to have in the back pocket when needed.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

electrical

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2005, 02:25:30 AM »

I used to have a cat named Fluss. Great cat. Top ten of all cats, probably. He liked to lay across my shoulders (anyone's shoulders, actually) with his legs dangling on either side of my neck.

I would occasionally sit at the desk with him like this. Once, he got startled and jumped off, nudging a couple of faders. Presto, the song sounded better.

He only did it once, though. I had to work it out on my own after that.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

Norwood

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2005, 02:41:17 AM »

electrical wrote on Mon, 14 March 2005 23:25

I used to have a cat named Fluss. Great cat. Top ten of all cats, probably. He liked to lay across my shoulders (anyone's shoulders, actually) with his legs dangling on either side of my neck.

I would occasionally sit at the desk with him like this. Once, he got startled and jumped off, nudging a couple of faders. Presto, the song sounded better.

Nothing that cool happened to me, but one time my dog ate a pair of headphones.   Mad
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 07:12:33 AM »

electrical wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 02:25

Hey Steve, can I borrow him for the day?

compasspnt

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 09:53:57 PM »

drumsound wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 23:48

WOW!  Can I send you the reels of my band's new record and have you mix it without monitors?  I'll even give you track sheets.  I'm not sure whether to be inspired or to quit.

Sure, bring it on!  I have a special going on this week; if you do want me to use monitor speakers, I'm giving two for the price of one...so you get STEREO for a MONO mix price!!!

But track sheets alone will do...

Seriously, remember it's what you have to mix that first defines what you'll get.  If the sounds on the deaf mix multi hadn't been good to start with...

brandondrury

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2005, 10:36:03 PM »

Quote:

Amazing!!

BUT it makes sense, in a way. You have been "experienced" at this for so long, that some things DO make sense.

Bull crap!  This is just proof that a monkey can predict the stock market better than a professional stock broker.  

My computer speakers are fried, so I haven't heard the mix yet.  I think this just puts the music mixing career thing into perspective.

Brandon

iluvatar

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2005, 11:50:25 PM »

Being the house soundguy in a nightclub is a good way to learn to set up a mix quickly. Not much time for soundcheck when the early show ends 15 minutes before yours is supposed to start. (Is it still considered late if it happens evey time?)

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Minister of Public Enlightenment
Mercenary Audio

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

jwhynot

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2005, 12:31:38 AM »

iluvatar wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 20:50

Being the house soundguy in a nightclub is a good way to learn to set up a mix quickly. Not much time for soundcheck when the early show ends 15 minutes before yours is supposed to start. (Is it still considered late if it happens evey time?)

-Dan.
You got that right - try full-orchestra film scores sometime!

75 piece orchestra, plus jazz band, plus rhythm section, a duduk soloist and a 12-piece choir.

And you want to be ready by 10:10 if you can... 10:05 is even better.

You just have to have some experience and know what the hell you're doing - Brandon!

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

Brian Kehew

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2005, 06:37:16 AM »

>>> Bull crap! This is just proof that a monkey can predict the stock market better than a professional stock broker.
My computer speakers are fried, so I haven't heard the mix yet. I think this just puts the music mixing career thing into perspective>>

Hmmm...is it, does it? Interesting.
Relax and float downstream...

compasspnt

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2005, 02:47:54 PM »

brandondrury wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 22:36

...Bull crap!  This is just proof that a monkey can predict the stock market better than a professional stock broker.  

My computer speakers are fried, so I haven't heard the mix yet.  I think this just puts the music mixing career thing into perspective.

Thank you for your thoughts Brandon!

But don't you know you don't even need your speakers to listen to this mp3?

compasspnt

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2005, 02:51:06 PM »

Greg Dixon wrote on Mon, 14 March 2005 19:47

rolyboy wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 02:55

I bet you could even drive a car blindfolded ??!!  

No, he needs to see the meters, but I assume he can fly on instruments, in zero visability.

Indeed.  And if this were not a music forum, I would tell the horrible story of my worst day as an instrument pilot.  I'll look for a flying forum for that...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.