R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Famous Fifteen Minute Deaf Mix Story  (Read 47114 times)

compasspnt

The Famous Fifteen Minute Deaf Mix Story
« on: March 13, 2005, 12:55:29 AM »

About five years ago, I was mixing an album here at Compass Point for Capitol Records.  I was in our Studio B, on an SSL 4048.  The group's material was totally unknown to me, and I would only hear each song for the first time just as we started to mix each one.

The producer (and engineer) of the material was an acquaintance whom I had known for some time; he was also an excellent studio musician, and an actual member of this group.  Because he was an engineer and producer as well as I, with his own 24 track studio, we would often discuss various aspects of tracking, mixing and production; one day while we were talking about mixing, I made certain comments about the way I approached a mix, which my friend found to be slightly off base relative to the way he approached that task.  One thing led to another, and before long, for whatever reason, I had made several statements which he believed to be exaggerations.  So I went even a bit further, and stated to him that I was so well practiced in mixing, having done so many for so long, that I didn't even need to hear the song to get a decent mix.  When he snorted that this was ridiculous, how could this be possible, I said I could tell what to do by just looking at the meters, and that I could do it in a mere fifteen minutes!  (Of course I was exaggerating by this time, to try to push him a bit over the edge.)  But he took it to heart, and was outraged at the thought that I, or anyone, could properly mix without hearing what one was doing.

Well, having gone this far into the absurd conversation, I couldn't back down.  He insisted that I take back what I had said, or prove it; he made a bet with me that it was impossible.

So I had no choice but to follow through.  I told him to pick any song he wanted to, of the ones still left to mix.  He knew full well that I had not heard these songs in any form before.  We disconnected all monitor speakers and had them removed from the room.  All track charts were likewise taken away.

I promised that I would perform a decent mix, with levels and panning properly placed, and equalisation, compression, and reverb alloted where needed to the correct instruments or vocals in a reasonable manner; I was to record this mix to a Dat tape for playback.  I did insist that he leave the room so as not to distract me; TOTAL CONCENTRATION was going to be required!  So our technician and assistant engineer, Osie Bowe, was stationed in the room to police the situation, to make sure that I did not cheat in any way (such as by using headphones).  Since everyone trusts Osie, this was totally acceptable to him.  Of course, by now word had spread, and the whole band was anxiously awaiting the outcome.

The clock was started, and off I went.  (It was only later that I found out that he had purposely chosen a song which he felt was different than any other on the album, and on which the tracking [what sound was on what track] was different than any I had previously mixed for them.  Using the meters only, I deduced what instruments or vocals were what, and placed levels and panning according to what I thought they might be.  I added reverb to certain things, as well as a bit of EQ and compression.  I did level changes based on what the meters told me, and what section of the song I thought we were in.  I was ready to "go to tape" in just under 12 minutes, which was a good thing, as the song was just over 3 minutes long.  The final chord went to tape exactly at the fifteen minute mark, as I carefully lowered the master fader for a smooth ending (I hoped!)  Oh, I also had made a total recall save.

Everyone filed in to hear the results.  The Genelec monitors were returned, and the tape replay chosen on the monitor matrix. Then for the first time, I heard the actual song I had just mixed!  Fortunately, so did everyone else.  Because after one listen, we made about two tiny changes, and printed it to 1/2' so we could go on to the next song.

I still have that Dat.

Brian Kehew

Re: The Famous Fifteen Minute Deaf Mix Story
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 05:42:10 AM »

Amazing!!

BUT it makes sense, in a way. You have been "experienced" at this for so long, that some things DO make sense. I heard a song start once (1st I had heard it) and then predicted "The guitar solo will come in at 1:18" and was within two seconds. The band were astounded but - because it's almost always right after the second chorus, and the song seemed normal, at a typical tempo. Something I have done many times before!

I, you, we - probably all have functionally good settings on things for vocal, bass, drum panning, etc. I suppose if we HAD to try everything from the ground up each time, we'd get very little done. We ARE creatures of habit, but for a reason...

There are stories of a famous British engineer who could set up the faders and mics PERFECTLY before each session - he wa so used to his own setup that it could be predicted how things should be done. But it seems amazing!

So - We'd like to hear that track, of course. And I like people that do crazy things on bets in studios.... (topic???)
Relax and float downstream...

Andy Simpson

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 09:32:01 AM »

That is a delightful account sir! I love it when a ridiculously extravagent bluff is proved out against all odds....

Of course we all know that if a song has been well tracked, it should amount to little more than bringing the faders up.....Wink

And isn't it ironic that so many FOH engineers have the complete opposite ability.....at 115 dB they can't mix it for shit....and ALL the meters are screaming R E D.....

Wink

Andy

J.J. Blair

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 12:52:22 PM »

If you e-mail an mp3, I'd be glad to host it in my public folder.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

zmix

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 01:40:18 PM »

Beethoven composed the entire ninth symphony after becoming stone deaf...

djui5

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 04:06:53 PM »

zmix wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 11:40

Further proof that we really do feel the music.

Great story Terry! That's awesome.
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

David Kulka

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 04:17:22 PM »

Not long ago I met a well known engineer who sometimes does 5.1 mixes without using any surround speakers.  Despite being assured that they turn out just fine I was rather skeptical, but after reading Terry's story I guess I'm ready to believe it!
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 10:18:16 PM »

OK, here's the Deaf Mix, as an mp3.

It turns out the Famous Fifteen Minute Deaf Mix was done in October of '97.  I remember more about it now, after hearing it again.  I tried to make decisions which wouldn't cloud things, such as making sure that what appeared to be the lead vocal was plenty loud, making sure that what appeared to be the bass wasn't too loud, so as to cover anything up, making sure that anything which appeared to have a lot of sustain wasn't too loud, and not getting too much reverb on anything.  All of these things were what we indeed tweaked from this "deaf" pass for the final, so it actually could have been even closer.

When listening, bear in mind that I could hear absolutely nothing as I mixed, and that this mp3 (ugh) came from a Dat machine (ugh!).  The real final was sent to 1/2".

http://www.compasspointstudios.com/Famous_15_Min_Deaf_Mix.mp 3

drumsound

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 11:48:31 PM »

WOW!  Can I send you the reels of my band's new record and have you mix it without monitors?  I'll even give you track sheets.  I'm not sure whether to be inspired or to quit.

djui5

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 12:04:40 AM »

That's pretty good for a blind mix Terry!
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

jwhynot

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 12:25:09 AM »

zmix wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 10:40

NOt only that - he is reputed to have conducted the premiere performance.  Apparently the orchestra finished a little before Ludwig did - which had a profoundly moving effect on the audience (as did the music itself which was full of unprecedented ideas and orchestrations) as they realized he couldn't hear what was going on...

In other words, even with Mr. Manning's sleight-of-mix, we have to admit we're all chumps.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

jwhynot

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 12:34:42 AM »

Oh, and that is a very nice mix Mr Manning.

I did something a little like that once but without meaning to...

I had a mix up on the desk I'd been working on for a while - wanted a cassette (I think - was in '91 so that's what walked out to the car - and people think things are getting worse!) but not as urgently as I wanted a piss so I let the assistant run off the mix while I took care of business.

Came back, got the cassette and went for a drive.

The tune sounded pretty nice - in fact I was well pleased.  But after it was finished I heard the intro to the next tune on the 2" machine.  Problem is, there were 2 2" machines, and the way the reels were balanced only a handful of the tracks from this next tune played.  But the vocal, bass, main guitar and a few special details were there.

It sounded quite different from what I had intended - in fact the loudest voice was a harmony part in the chorus and the melody was a bit sublimated.

But I had to admit the "random" mix was more interesting - shed a whole new light on the song.

Now, I should mention that I was working on 4 songs for a group, that I had tracked the two days before, so the tracks were very much consistent between tunes.  But of course, not perfect.

It was an interesting juxtaposition between things I knew should be about right (sounds and ambiences on similar tracks) and completely random elements, like only the little overdub cocktail drum being there and not the kit or programmed parts.

Same deal - about an hour of convincing, followed by 10 minutes or so of spackling the balances, and we had our record.

So instead of conjuring the balance, one just dropped straight from heaven.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

Level

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 10:11:50 AM »

I had a guy I was working over the internet about a year ago that could not mix batter. I finally told him this:

Zero everything. Watch the record meters on the 2 mix recorder. Turn the kick to -3 ,then -5 on the bass line. Guitars at -7 (at or about) and the rest of the kit soloed at -8 except snare at -4.

It worked, he was able to fill in the gaps.

A basic cutsheet to get the foundation solid.

As always Terry, your postings and sharing is sage. I applaud you for taking the challenge. "kick ass dude!!"

http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Gordon Rice

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 10:35:27 AM »

Wow.

It is remarkable how much we've learned to deduce about what's what and where just from looking at meters, isn't it?

That's nice work, Terry.

--gmr
Audio Engineer
Philadelphia PA
(Yeah, there've been some changes . . .)

Where are we going and what am I doing in this handbasket?

rolyboy

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 10:55:23 AM »

Terry,

That's a really impressive piece of work and a great example of experience, experience, experience and a lot of BALLS!!

I bet you could even drive a car blindfolded ??!! Razz
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.