R/E/P > Terry Manning

The Famous Fifteen Minute Deaf Mix Story

<< < (3/8) > >>

jwhynot:
zmix wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 10:40
Beethoven composed the entire ninth symphony after becoming stone deaf...
NOt only that - he is reputed to have conducted the premiere performance.  Apparently the orchestra finished a little before Ludwig did - which had a profoundly moving effect on the audience (as did the music itself which was full of unprecedented ideas and orchestrations) as they realized he couldn't hear what was going on...

In other words, even with Mr. Manning's sleight-of-mix, we have to admit we're all chumps.

JW

jwhynot:
Oh, and that is a very nice mix Mr Manning.

I did something a little like that once but without meaning to...

I had a mix up on the desk I'd been working on for a while - wanted a cassette (I think - was in '91 so that's what walked out to the car - and people think things are getting worse!) but not as urgently as I wanted a piss so I let the assistant run off the mix while I took care of business.

Came back, got the cassette and went for a drive.

The tune sounded pretty nice - in fact I was well pleased.  But after it was finished I heard the intro to the next tune on the 2" machine.  Problem is, there were 2 2" machines, and the way the reels were balanced only a handful of the tracks from this next tune played.  But the vocal, bass, main guitar and a few special details were there.

It sounded quite different from what I had intended - in fact the loudest voice was a harmony part in the chorus and the melody was a bit sublimated.

But I had to admit the "random" mix was more interesting - shed a whole new light on the song.

Now, I should mention that I was working on 4 songs for a group, that I had tracked the two days before, so the tracks were very much consistent between tunes.  But of course, not perfect.

It was an interesting juxtaposition between things I knew should be about right (sounds and ambiences on similar tracks) and completely random elements, like only the little overdub cocktail drum being there and not the kit or programmed parts.

Same deal - about an hour of convincing, followed by 10 minutes or so of spackling the balances, and we had our record.

So instead of conjuring the balance, one just dropped straight from heaven.

JW

Level:
I had a guy I was working over the internet about a year ago that could not mix batter. I finally told him this:

Zero everything. Watch the record meters on the 2 mix recorder. Turn the kick to -3 ,then -5 on the bass line. Guitars at -7 (at or about) and the rest of the kit soloed at -8 except snare at -4.

It worked, he was able to fill in the gaps.

A basic cutsheet to get the foundation solid.

As always Terry, your postings and sharing is sage. I applaud you for taking the challenge. "kick ass dude!!"

Gordon Rice:
Wow.

It is remarkable how much we've learned to deduce about what's what and where just from looking at meters, isn't it?

That's nice work, Terry.

--gmr

rolyboy:
Terry,

That's a really impressive piece of work and a great example of experience, experience, experience and a lot of BALLS!!

I bet you could even drive a car blindfolded ??!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version