R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The decadence/banalization of Music and Recording Arts... a global phenomena?  (Read 1267 times)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hi friends. Please share your precious points of view.
Here is my take:

Yesterday i took 3 hours of my time to make a deep dive into my music past as a music producer/recording engineer /musician (1996/2005) here at my studio. Although I think much of what I did and appeared here was crap ( I am very critical towards my stuff) , my assistant and I agreed that the crap overload alarm blanked more than the normal as we entered the 2000 era.

I was able to compile only 80 GREAT SONGS + nice arrangements + mixes + mastering , which is pretty low for almost 10 years of work. ( average of only 8 good songs a year).

It would be interesting to see the behavior of our market in every country.
For example, one of the MAIN things that made my music scene enter the disaster era was the "make it yourself conceipt".

Here we have a producer and a recording engineer on every block. If you have a digi 001 and a Mackie and some exotic musical style, it is all you need. I call it the [ks] + shortcut generation.

I never saw so many people capable of memorizing so many shortcuts but unable to understand dither or a proper multimiking recording of acoustic drums.

There was a time people would buy a tascam 4-track porta studio , strip SPP to a sequencer and record their basic preproduction and use it as a learning/preview tool.

With stuff like cracks all over the web and cheap crappy gear as XXXXXX and MXXXX cheap cards.... you know... it contributed for the commercial mid/big studio departure.

Also, the mafia of pirate CDs... nobody mentions here but this kind of black market helps finance other out of law stuff, like the black market of guns/weapons, etc.

Summed to that, everyone with some reasonable look and because e one can sing a few karaoke melody lines he might be a sucesss in media and get rich.

There has been ridiculous situations here like some "artists" investing figures like $3500 to have a full album produced(!!!!) and betting that with all their lack of talent, musicality they can be the next MTV success.

This month particularly, I have been overstressed and tired of having to record a dozen takes so as to make the talent be able to have a "decent" vocal track.

Seems nobody has time to rehearsal, study, develop their musicality. Everything is focused on money, stage lights, playbacks, autotune and beat detective.

Added to that, you see these IPOD phenomena. MP3s been downloaded everywhere and people just losing that old ritual of chasing his favorite singer/band, waiting eagerly for their next release, etc.

Sad, very sad.

Thanks to all

Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

bobkatz

Al
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

bobkatz

Oh, the other thing, I think the next big thing should be that EVERY IPOD should have two headphone jacks. Everybody will be jacking!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pages: [1]   Go Up