R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for clean & simple 24 ch rec console?  (Read 7865 times)

Dave Peck

Recommendations for clean & simple 24 ch rec console?
« on: March 12, 2005, 04:56:35 PM »

Hi all,

My request for mixer recommendations is a little different from the other recent inquiry about this topic.

I have a synth studio with really good synths, high-end converters (Pacific Microsonics for A/D, Euphonix for 24ch D/A) and good outboard gear. I need a simple high quality 24 channel analog board for tracking the synths into the DAW & also for analog mixdown back out of the DAW (I prefer mixing analog to mixing in the DAW).

- Looking for new gear only
- under $20k, preferably way under (of course)
- I don't need mic pre's
- don't need a ton of sends, four would be fine
- simple clean EQ if any
- must have in-line monitoring or at least A-B line input switching to go from tracking to mixdown without repatching.

I've investigated:
- Speck Lilo (very clean, but only 16 channels & spartan master section features like no A/B speaker select)
- TL Audio tube console (more features than I need, & may not be as transparent as I would want)
- Soundcraft Ghost24LE (not greatly impressed with the sonics)
- D&R Orion, Audient 8024, and Neotek Elan (all look quite nice, but all are more console than I really need)
- a smaller D&R, the Vision (anybody have experience with it?)
- Trident Dream (feature set looks about right, anybody heard it?)

Finding a very high quality 24 channel board with a simple feature set is proving to be more difficult than I would have thought.

Anybody got comments on these observations? Or another recommendation?

Thanks much,

Dave Peck

j.hall

Re: Recommendations for clean & simple 24 ch rec console?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 07:30:37 AM »

i was going to suggest the speck console.  they made one at one point that was fairly large, and line in only.  seems perfect for you.

you might give them a call and see what's up with it, if they still make it, or can make it.

i've heard good things about D&R in general, but not specifics on the console you are looking at.

Dave Peck

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 01:56:16 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 12:30

i was going to suggest the speck console.  they made one at one point that was fairly large, and line in only.  seems perfect for you.

you might give them a call and see what's up with it, if they still make it, or can make it.

Thanks! I'll contact them. Any opinions from folks who have used the Speck would be appreciated.

I also just noticed that the Sytek/Neotek web site has a small mention of a new table-top version of the Neotek Elan, which sounds promising. But there is hardly any technical info about the Elan on the site (no pdfs of the manual, no panel graphics). If anyone has experience with the Elan, especially on a new one built since Sytek bought Neotek, I'd greatly appreciate the input. Thanks!

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 03:33:12 PM »

i almost bought a speck a while back, but passed on it.  i was holding out for something with automation.

i ran across a handful of users that did not know each other and all described it as a trident like sound but not quite as colored.

i figured that 6 different people relating it to a trident 80b was sort of a strong indication of what it could do.

Dave Peck

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 12:57:21 PM »

Hmm. A hundred and fifty views, and only one person replied? Of course, you guys certainly don't owe me your input, I'm just  surprised because we're usually so chatty about this subject.

(BTW, Thanks again Jason).

Anybody got info or experience with the Trident Dream? Or the others mentioned? Especially the Neotek Elan, because I can't find much info about it anywhere. Or maybe another option I haven't thought of?

Thanks much,

Barry Hufker

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 01:07:52 PM »

Dave,

I think the advice about a Sytek/Neotek console is good.  There also appears to be good options from Chandler and Aurora.  Of the three, I am eager to see what Sytek comes up with for their "low cost" board.

Barry

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 01:25:45 PM »

i've worked on an Elan before.  "drumsound" on these forums owns one.....i worked on his.

you might PM him and get his thoughts.

i thought it was a good desk, EQ was useable, everything felt solid and pro.

sound wise i wouldn't call it transparent.....a great rock n roll desk

has a bit of an edge to it that i really enjoyed.

the automation was a bit quirky but once you got to know it i'm sure it would become second nature.

Roland Storch

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 10:27:22 AM »

ADT makes great small desks like you want.
Maybe a modified BC3 could fit your needs.
http://www.adt-audio.com/UsProducts/Bc3/BC3MainPage.html

Dave Peck

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 06:21:32 PM »

Roland Storch wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 15:27

ADT makes great small desks like you want.
Maybe a modified BC3 could fit your needs.
http://www.adt-audio.com/UsProducts/Bc3/BC3MainPage.html

Hey, thanks! The BC series with the BC-IT3 input modules might work well (this module has A/B line input switching, others don't). I'll contact them.  BTW, I noticed more technical info about the Neotek Elan II on the Sytek site recently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 20 queries.