R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphones in the Mix Down  (Read 12773 times)

bobkatz

Stupid panning tricks. Was Re: Headphones in the Mix Down
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2005, 08:57:21 AM »

Level wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 07:14

I have a little dirty trick I use on digital hard pans. If I am going to place something far field right or left, I will make an identical track and pan it (lets say the hard pan is left) to the other side (right) at 3 o'clock and run the gain down about 20dB under the hard panned sound with this new track. This gives the sound a larger picture..but you are still retaining the clarity of the hard pan.

Oh come on, Bill. This is just another name for panning inward a tiny percentage. There is absolutely NOTHING different about what you are doing.

A rose is a rose is a rose, an in phase sum on the opposite channel is IDENTICAL with using a pan pot. Remember, a pan pot is functionally equivalent to a Y cord attached to two faders, one panned totally left and one panned totally right, and manipulating the gain between them! That's ALL IT IS.

You are not "simulating" old analog gear by reducing the stereo separation in your digital mixes. In fact, you are making things worse. It's not the inphase "monophonically power panned"  "crosstalk" that was advantageous about all our old analog mixing gear. It was the out of phase leakage and distortion that gave increased apparent stereo separation. Think, PSYCHOACOUSTICS.

Think the basic principles of stereo imaging. The phantom image in the center is just that, a phantom, and someone sitting off center will find it ambiguous because that image is not placed directly in a transducer. By power panning a left signal off of the left slightly you are making it more AMBIGUOUS, not less. Especially in a system that has no out of phase leakage or distortion, like a digital mixing system. This is why mixing engineers have to learn to think out of the box, understand that since digital mixing systems are perfect, they are going to have to learn more about psychoacoustics than they ever had in the past when their analog consoles helped them along.

The Fact is that an inwardly panned signal makes it appear MORE AMBIGUOUS in the stereo image and REDUCES the sweet spot. It does not help anyone but a listener located exactly in the center. All other listeners will perceive an even more vague and unidentified positional location.

The problem (if it is a problem) with the perfection of a digital mixer with no crosstalk CANNOT BE SOLVED and SHOULD NOT BE SOLVED BY inwardly panning, or attempting to do this with some non-magic like Bill describes.

When more mixing engineers learn to be more sophisticated than using simple power panning, all this nonsense about the "magic" of analog consoles and analog mixing will go into the past. Start learning about WHY stereo microphone pairs sound more realistic than a single microphone panned off center. Start learning how to take advantage of delays, in phase and out of phase signals, Haas effects, and early reflections.

To get you started, I refer you to this paper by Thomas Lund, of TC Electronic:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/TechLibrary  and click on "Enhanced Localization in 5.1 production."

Learn how to take advantage of psychoacoustics. Think smarter. Try to investigate WHY some of the the things you have tried over the years have worked and others have not.

Quote:

It will sound different than any setting you can find with a single channel pan. Use gain on the ghost track for flavor.

Just something simple to try folks.

This is pure B.S. If it works at all in any distinguishable way from simply moving your pan pot, it will be because you're using an analog mixer with some out of phase high frequency leakage or crosstalk, or, more likely you're simply fooling yourself by unmatched gains, etc.  Power panning is the pits. And "adding the same signal to the other channel 30 dB down" is the same as power panning.
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Level

Re: Headphones in the Mix Down
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2005, 09:04:15 AM »

Bob, I failed to mention that the other channel enjoys a different EQ curve, has the opuurtunity to use anything I desire on that strip as well...so you are jumping to conclusions here. A regular pan pot cannot do this. I may even buss in a shade of efx as well. Even delay.

Lets not put blanket statements on mixing ideas please. I respect you Bob..but I should have opened the technique up more so it is not so generallized. Automating that fader as well makes it different from a pan pot. If I buss something over to another channel for "efx purposes with panning" then anything and everything I can use on that strip is fair game. (including vari-phase)
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bobkatz

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2005, 10:33:51 AM »

Level wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 09:04

Bob, I failed to mention that the other channel enjoys a different EQ curve, has the opuurtunity to use anything I desire on that strip as well...so you are jumping to conclusions here. A regular pan pot cannot do this. I may even buss in a shade of efx as well. Even delay.

Well, that "I forgot" is a big omission, Bill. Adding in a different EQ introduces a phase shift to the other channel that can be used to supply a kind of imaging phasiness. Adding a delay to the other channel is a big difference. Adding a shade of effects is a big difference.

Quote:

Lets not put blanket statements on mixing ideas please.

OK, I take it all back. You never have to pay attention to knowledge of delays, Haas effect, equalization for phase shift, psychoacoustics, using your imagination, thinking outside of the box, creativity. All you need is to pan the signal, just like you said, exactly and clearly in your first post.

(Am I supposed to read your mind, or take you literally?)

BK

Level

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2005, 10:52:11 AM »

I promise to be more "clear" in the future.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2005, 02:27:02 AM »

Hey hey hey long time no post.

Just for the record, copying the track and blending the pan was perfectly clear to me.  That was a great suggestion.  I really saw the mix open up when Bill suggested it.  I would never consider leaving the two tracks identical, because after that second track is opened up, it's a new palette of possibilities...phase, eq, effect, whatever.  Leaving them the same would be like saying the purpose of a multi-track recorder is simply to sum sources.  In reality, it's a new spatial entity that deserves its own placement.  A fun placement tool might be an all-pass ibp to comb the phases.  Or maybe a detune (phase-coherent), or possibly even slowing/speeding up the duplicate track to add tension or lag--like something out of a Stan Kenton orchestration.  

I was purposely avoiding the forum for a while, but I had to reply to this one!

Rock on!!

MW

cerberus

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2005, 04:18:59 PM »

Who made NS-10 a reference standard ?  I was thinking of picking up a blown pair of NS-10s because they would smell like money. Thus people might assumed I also have ProTools...and that I am a "regular guy".  These are the most identifiable speakers on the planet under low lighting conditions...An engraved plaque graces the rear; telling all kinds of lies, but certifying that they should look perfect from any angle.

When I see a picture of one of the Beatles wearing cans, it sends shivers down my spine... What brand is that ? I should pick up a pair of those too.

cerberus

PP

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2005, 02:39:58 AM »

ted nightshade

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2005, 10:16:31 AM »

I have the middle of the line Grado phones, in the $300 range. I find them to be very, very good. The bass response is something you can count on, and doing some bass EQ with the Grados and a GML EQ translated very well. I was surprised and pleased, and have since learned to trust these phones.

The middle of the line Grados have cheap foam earpieces that fall off and a cord that gets all twisted up. You can order different earpieces and I'm about due- I won't get the foam ones again.

I also have some entry-level Grados and they are pretty good but in way on the same level.

When I break the rather short cord of the Grados, something I do amazingly often, reaching for the tape transport or something a bit out of the way, I revert to my old Koss phones and I've learned to trust them too.

I very much agree it's a matter of learning how the phones translate, like you learn how any monitoring system translates.

Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

LawrenceF

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2005, 05:45:17 PM »

I agree with that last statement about knowing how the phones translate.  I use the Sony MDR 7506's which a lot of people hate but I love.

Headphones are an excellent way to check reverb levels.  Often times what sounds good on speakers will be too much with phones.  

That's another way I'll check my mixes...  on the IPOD.  Next day I'll fire it up and listen to some "real" songs and then my mix and compare for depth, clarity, balance etc.

One thing I almost always notice is the smoothness of the midrange of very well mastered mixes.  Too much or "bad" midrange is much less tolerable on phones or buds than from speakers.  Very irritating.  Cranking up the phones loud will reveal that very quickly. Smile

Lawrence

Timeline

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2005, 08:46:28 PM »

I just won a pair of Stax SRD-7's Electrostatics, eBay.

Are these reasonable mix phones? Too bright, dark?
Gary Brandt
Timeline

maxim

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2005, 09:38:26 PM »

lawrence wrote:

"Often times what sounds good on speakers will be too much with phones. "

if it sounds good on the speakers, i leave it alone

bobkatz

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2005, 11:09:57 AM »

Timeline wrote on Sun, 17 April 2005 20:46

I just won a pair of Stax SRD-7's Electrostatics, eBay.

Are these reasonable mix phones? Too bright, dark?

Congratulations! Those are great phones. Neither bright, nor "sweet" nor hard if driven by the right amp. What driver amplifier did you get to go with them?

I own two pairs and a customized by me super high voltage driver amplifier.

Mix cans?  Well, the SRD-7 are very accurate as listening phones, but again, all the usual precautions about relying on headphones for mixing apply. You will definitely hear things on them that you won't hear anywhere else, especially inner details, and that's both their big advantage AND disadvantage.

I pull them out for "listening pleasure" when I feel like something different, but I've never gone to them for mastering purposes at any time. I can see how as alternate listening they would do well in a mix environment.

BK

Timeline

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2005, 01:54:39 PM »

Thanks Bob for being kind enough to take the time to reply. Right on!

I have a BGW 210 and a JBL SA660. Which one would be best?
Gary Brandt
Timeline

PP

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2005, 05:06:58 AM »

Luis Bacque

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2005, 01:27:18 AM »

Anel.

No soy muy amigo de los auriculares pero a veces funcionan. Los Akg 141 monitor no son caros y son bastante naturales.

Por el tema de los monitores, no soy muy amigo de los Genelec. Por ahi has notado que luego de terminada la mezcla, en los equipos hogare
Luis Bacque

Mandarina Sound Studios

Buenos Aires - Argentina
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.