R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: 60's and 70's records whose sonics weren't as good...what happened?  (Read 31608 times)

Bob Olhsson

Re: 60's and 70's records whose sonics weren't as good...what happened?
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2005, 11:51:36 AM »

I heard that George Martin had seen outboard limiters in the racks on a visit to Capital.

The Brits were every bit as hung up on achieving that "American" sound as people are today about the very "Beatles" sound that the Brits considered utterly inferior at the time. Nobody ever wants to sound like themselves.

I just hope we finally return to putting the most awesome sounds we can find in front of microphones and recording them. That's what our art has always really been about. Style is often an excuse for the lack of obvious greatness.

dboy

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2005, 01:11:04 AM »

David Kulka wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 01:55

In a way this is Part 2 of the previous thread.

On the "60's and 70's songs that stand out" thread, I was tickled to see that someone mentioned "Laugh Laugh" by The Beau Brummels.  I'm pretty sure that my uncle, Leo Kulka, recorded that one at Golden State Recorders, his studio in San Francisco.  (A recent Mix article gives him credit for it, though I have also seen Coast mentioned -- maybe someone else knows.)

I'm not sure whether I've mentioned Leo on this forum, but he was a recording veteran with many decades as a recording engineer.  I won't get into the story of his career, but anyone who's interested can find an article about him on my site, in the Scrapbook section.

L

I thought I recognized that name!
David, I had the pleasure of being a student at CRA in '78 and learned a lot from your uncle, Leo "De Gar" Kulka. I spent quite some time watching him master on his Neumann lathe and asking a lot of questions! Some great stories there........
I remember the Quad 8 board and the Stephens 16 track (not all modules worked at the same time!) and the great big room at Golden State. This brings back very fond memories. As I sit in front of my DAW these remind me of why I'm here. Whenever I drive down harrison street, I always wonder what happened to the place. He was a great engineer and teacher.
-RS

David Kulka

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2005, 08:51:33 AM »

Thanks for the kind words.  Unfortunately, Leo unexpectly passed away in 1998 during a surgical procedure.  Dan Alexander took over the building for a while but then he moved out, and it stood vacant for a long time.  I'm don't know what's going on with it now, but I'm sure it's no longer a studio.

Leo was a totally unique personality with a long career in audio and I still see or hear his name most every day, in one context or another.  Like you said, there are a lot of stories -- a lot.  I should start a forum thread about him some time.

CRA was one of the first real, fully equipped recording schools in the U.S. (maybe THE first) and many students went on to become names in the industry.

Leo loved that Stephens, though of course only one person in the world could service it, John Stephens.  John would stop by once or twice a year, we were always a little awed by him.  I first met Hugh Allen at Golden State, other familiar names are Fred Catero, Scott Beach, Dave Gold (from Gold Star), Mike Bloomfield...but there are a hundred more.
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

vernier

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2005, 10:41:53 AM »

Ah ..Stephens ..wonderful sound.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.