R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr Big Stuff  (Read 5683 times)

stevieeastend

Mr Big Stuff
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:15:17 AM »

Hi Terry,

My favorite stax record will be forever "Mr Big Stuff" by Jean Knight, just love that tune..

Are there any specific "production-notes" you could share on that?
I would be interested in pretty much everything Wink....

How many tracks were involved? How was the whole thing recorded, any overdubs?, Which microphones did you use? How was the brass section recorded?
Did you use any reverbs? Drums & bass? Any specific "secrets" or stories?

If you could answer some of my questions, that would be great!!

Thanks in advance
steveeastend

compasspnt

Re: Mr Big Stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 01:37:46 PM »

steveeastend wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 10:15

Hi Terry,

My favorite stax record will be forever "Mr Big Stuff" by Jean Knight, just love that tune..

Are there any specific "production-notes" you could share on that?
I would be interested in pretty much everything Wink....

How many tracks were involved? How was the whole thing recorded, any overdubs?, Which microphones did you use? How was the brass section recorded?
Did you use any reverbs? Drums & bass? Any specific "secrets" or stories?

If you could answer some of my questions, that would be great!!

Thanks in advance
steveeastend

Hi,

Thanks for the question.  Unfortunately for me, that record was only leased for distribution by Stax.  As far as I know, it was produced by one Wardell Quezerque, out of New Orleans, who had done great work with Fats Domino and other N.O. artists.  He did an artist deal with Malaco Records of Jackson, Mississippi, chartered a school bus, and brought up six or seven New Orleans artists to their Jackson studio.  They did a mammoth recording session of all the artists, and this was one of the songs recorded on that session.  Also they recorded King Floyd's first recording, "Groove Me" on that same day.

I never went to the Malaco studios, but I am sure that the equipment was reasonably minimal by today's standards.  Wish I could give some specific answers!  Maybe someone out there knows something about this place.

I do know that Malaco bought the old Muscle Shoals Sound studio in Alabama when the original owners wanted out, but they closed that recently.

Best regards,

Terry

stevieeastend

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 01:52:42 PM »

Thanks Terry!

BTW   Would be also curious to know something about the Fats Domino productions....

cheers
steveeastend

David Kulka

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 06:03:59 PM »

I always liked "Mr. Big Stuff".  I've got the LP somewhere and it would be fun to play it again.

I recall an oddball single by Jean Knight under the moniker "Jeannie and the Darlings" called "I'ts Time To Pay For The Fun We Had", about an unexpected pregnancy...
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 04:02:12 PM »

Fascinating.
Just last week I saw a big box of masters, all kinds 1", 1/2". 1/4. 7", 3 1/2 inch sitting in my lawyer's office here in New Orleans. Handwritten on the box it said "Jean Knight". He was working with the publisher to do a reissue.
Wardell Quezerque still plays once or twice a year here, usually at The N.O. Jazz and Heritage festival" - Jazz Fest..
(Of course everyone knows this is THE best music event in the country, right?) Wardell son is one of the most amazing bass players I have ever seen.

Most of Fats' hits were recorded by Cosmo Matassa at J&M studios at their Rampart Street Location. Along with Jerry Lee, Little Richard, Shirley and Lee and countless others.

WOW as I am typing this I am wondering if Cosmo would be willing to hang out here. If anyone saw him at the TapeOp Con, you know he can tell a story like no else. Terry, your real close though!

Steve
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 06:16:59 PM »

New Orleans Steve wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 16:02

WOW as I am typing this I am wondering if Cosmo would be willing to hang out here. If anyone saw him at the TapeOp Con, you know he can tell a story like no else. Terry, you're real close though!

Steve

I hope he does!  He used to come up from New Orleans with stuff for me and John Fry to mix at the old Ardent National Street Studio.  Quite a character!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 21 queries.