R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The MOOG thread  (Read 5978 times)

Brian Kehew

The MOOG thread
« on: March 13, 2005, 06:49:27 AM »

The topic has gone into Moog history on a few threads, and really pulled those threads into another direction. Let's exoend that energy here instead. It's one of my favorite subjects...

A) Get the book "Analog Days" about the early days of commercial synthesis - it's a well-written, well-researched book. Lots of info that IS interesting. (I know the writers - they were VERY picky and didn't believe what people told them (initially), the first job of an historical writer. They spent ages just narrowing down a date or two. Accuracy is important.)

B) The new movie "Moog" is touring the country, mostly at art-house theaters. It should be on DVD any day now. (Check www.moogmusic.com for info on its release - they should have the FIRST copies for sale there.)http://www.moogmusic.com

The movie shows some amazing old films they found, and more importantly, the man behind the gear. It shows why he is such a unique and cool character: probably NOT the man you'd expect him to be. His philosophy is rather odd, and suprisingly cool for a gear designer. He believes in the magic of performers, the nonphysical connection of music, people, and their gear. It is a film about that stuff, not synths, really.
Relax and float downstream...

Brian Kehew

Re: The MOOG thread
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 07:38:15 AM »

I just found this online film that shows a lot of Bob's style. He's very positive, straightforward and charming...

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/TUTORS&SESSIONS.9.0.h tml?act_session=93

Even in the film, when he demos the MOST basic parts of a synth (which he done thousands of times since 1964), he isn't bored or condescending. He has a genuine interest in it to this day.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 01:18:12 PM »

My two favorite quotes from this:

"Now we're cookin'!"

and, in explaining the difference between real music and experimental music:

"Does anybody here know what 'real music' is?  Back then, record company people knew what 'real music' was.  It was music that made 'real money'."

Reminds me of the quote about why they called it "Free Jazz, " because "ain't nobody gonna pay for that!"
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

zmix

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 01:35:44 PM »

Wow... and he's wearing a "Barbez" T-Shirt!

http://www.barbez.com/

Barbez are my pals, and are an interesting group, Theremin, Marimba, guitar bass drums and a Russian singer/dancer.

Their current Thereminist, Pamelia Kurstin, is perhaps the best in the world...

http://www.pameliakurstin.com/

Bob built her instrument..
-CZ

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 03:53:16 PM »

Guess who lives here?

http://www.synthfool.com/images/briroom.jpg

Sorry, bro.  I couldn't help myself.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

J.J. Blair

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 03:55:53 PM »

BTW, in  case anybody is wondering, Brian Kehew is one of my favorite people in LA.  An absolutely incredible hang, and my wife thinks he's fucking awesome.
studio info

Brian Kehew

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 03:16:20 AM »

>>>and my wife thinks he's fucking awesome.<<<

(Careful with that wording!)

That is a former bedroom with SOME of the synths we used on our first record (The Moog Cookbook). We found it handy to have lots of tone colurs available at a moment's notice. Also proof that a record made on a bed with 8 tracks a a Mackie mixer can get you on MTV and all over the world IF the intent is to make good music for yoursleves.

Amen to Pamelia - the world's greatest theremin player of ALL time. No question.

drumsound

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 03:36:01 AM »

J.J. wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 14:55

BTW, in  case anybody is wondering, Brian Kehew is one of my favorite people in LA.  An absolutely incredible hang, and my wife thinks he's fucking awesome.

Anyone who produces Elanie Mandel records is A OK with my.
Very Happy

Brian Kehew

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 06:44:11 AM »

Wow - thanks! Eleni Mandell is not very Moog-oriented, but I do believe she may be THE best songwriter around today. A seemingly endless supply of songs that easily stand up against the Beatles OR Richard Rogers. I wish we could do more together (and use MOOG stuff!)

McAllister

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 09:13:47 AM »

. . . nice looking Optigan - looks like the same model as mine (22 discs and counting).

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

drumsound

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 01:51:45 PM »

Brian Kehew wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 05:44

Wow - thanks! Eleni Mandell is not very Moog-oriented, but I do believe she may be THE best songwriter around today. A seemingly endless supply of songs that easily stand up against the Beatles OR Richard Rogers. I wish we could do more together (and use MOOG stuff!)

No, Thank You!

Snakebite is a great record.  It's got vibe for days.  I need to get more of Eleni's stuff.

(I also need to check my spelling before I post, the CD was at the studio.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.