R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs from the 60's and 70's, obscure or not, that really stand out  (Read 79945 times)

Consul

Re: Songs from the 60's and 70's, obscure or not, that really stand out
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2005, 09:12:46 AM »

How about "Day After Day" by Badfinger? I liked that one better than "No Matter What" personally. I thought it had better sonics as well.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2005, 09:32:38 AM »

Almost the entire worldwide recording industry lived in LA during the '70s. The seconds at any major LA room had worked with virtually every great engineer and producer there was. Unfortunately the party got out of hand and the scene collapsed but the best recordings remain true benchmarks due to the amazing collective wisdom they benefited from.

Kendrix

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2005, 09:07:48 AM »

One that just popped into my head that I have to add is "Summer in the City" by the Spoonful.  

A few of their tunes stand out but this one rises above the rest IMHO.  Great imagery in the lyric,  good driving tune with good changes and energy. The break down with horns honking coming back into that pounding electric piano riff then exploding into the instrumental section via tom fills is great stuff.
Ken Favata

vernier

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2005, 09:51:50 AM »

That whole album is great .."Summer in the City", "Rain On The Roof", "Nashville Cats" etc etc.

sharp11

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2005, 08:16:32 AM »

Kendrix wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 14:07

One that just popped into my head that I have to add is "Summer in the City" by the Spoonful.  

A few of their tunes stand out but this one rises above the rest IMHO.  Great imagery in the lyric,  good driving tune with good changes and energy. The break down with horns honking coming back into that pounding electric piano riff then exploding into the instrumental section via tom fills is great stuff.

That's one of those rare instances where everything fits together perfectly, the lyric, the tune and the production.

Yep, great one.

Ed

vernier

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2005, 11:15:46 AM »

Another 60's standout (and #1 hit) was "Venus" by Shocking Blue.

Your Ad Here!

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2005, 01:12:27 PM »

Gordon Rice wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 14:49

Hey--

Anybody besides me think that Jefferson Airplane's "Crown of Creation" was an astonishing, life- and soul-changing moment?  For the first time, we heard something like the actual bass sound Jack Casady was getting onstage (thank-you, Al Schmitt!).  I know I haven't been the same since.

--gmr

Interesting... I was wondering why that album sounded really low fi compared to Baxters. The sonic quality really suffers on that I think (at leaset my copy of vinyl). I always thought there was a problem with the mastering job. Al?

Your Ad Here!

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2005, 01:18:37 PM »

Kendrix wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 14:07

These guys made some great records. "Hums of" has some great stuff on it. The guitars sound great and some fine songwriting. I like the Beatles-like arrangements and sonics on some of their material.  

nobby

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2005, 07:55:40 PM »

Lee Flier wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 10:04

GEESH.  Way too many to even list.  You'll have me here all day.

I second that emotion.

I just finished reading what's in this thread so far and you people have good taste! Cool

One song that has started playing in my head that has many elements coming together is Midnight Confession by the Grass Roots.

Starting with one of the best intros... talk about grabbing you by the lapels! Horn arrangement up there with Chicago and BS&T. Killer bridge. Helluva job overall. Can't speak to the sonics having heard it mostly on the radio...

"Rock 'n' Roll, if it were a movie, would be Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

~ Slipperman

RIP Steve "Loudist" Gursky

thedoc

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2005, 12:36:05 AM »

Midnight Confession, Carol Kaye on bass...Great stuff!
Doc

David Kulka

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2005, 07:42:45 PM »

Thanks to this thread and all its references to the Memphis soul hits, I've dug out a bunch of vinyl favorites and have kept the old turntable spinning. Here's one that really jumps out of the grooves -- I've been playing it over and over, it's a total delight.

index.php/fa/874/0/

Produced by Allen Toussaint (and all but one track written by him), recorded at Jazz City Studios in New Orleans, mixed at Select Sound in New York.  These are some infectious tracks, full of chugging syncopation, chicken scratch guitar, and tight horns.  Eleven great songs, and a comedy track at the end.  "Ya Ya" and "Working In A Coal Mine" had hit a few years before.  Allen Toussaint never got enough recognition.  If you want to hear a great example of his stuff, check out this record, a real gem.
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

David Kulka

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2005, 08:06:30 PM »

1973's "Misdemeanor" is one of the strangest R&B songs I ever heard.  When I was 17 I worked in a record store, and local DJ's used to come by with boxes of promo albums which the owner would buy for the "used" section.  A girl who was a bass player spun this for me -- it was an R&B hit, but not on the San Francisco FM's.  I remember she likened the weird harmonies and chord changes to Stockhausen, perhaps over-intellectualizing a bubblegum single?

Foster Sylvers had a hell of a falsetto, but then he was only 11.  The song is just bizarre.  I could swear I hear xylophone on it, and it's dry as a bone, no echo.  Maybe the EMT was down that day.  The Sylvers got commercial and sold more records a few years later, hitting with "Boogie Fever", produced by Freddie Perren (a wonderful man, one of the nicest clients I ever had).  A string of other hits followed.  I think the family was from Memphis, but I bet their hits were recorded in L.A.

While fishing the web I came across a site that calls "Misdemeanor" an early hip-hop influence.  Well, it's jumpy, that's for sure.  Hard to imagine that these lines could be sung in any kind of way that flows, but somehow it works.

"...Take in stride
Love and devotion
Don't confide
Its the tracks of lost emotion
Let it glide
Its gonna subside she stole my heart loved her from the start.

Watcha gonna do
When I think I'm in love
And I catch my girl doin' me wrong
Too bad
It's just enough to slip back in the start
Like when you get your first ticket for illegal parking...

But its just a misdemeanor
You gotta get-a over it
Oh he loved her from the start..."

index.php/fa/875/0/
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

compasspnt

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2005, 08:51:41 PM »

Excellent David!  And cool pix also!

Two songs which always killed me, both from production and technical viewpoints were:

"Is That All There Is"

..and..

"Fever."

...both by Peggy Lee.

Some early cool production ideas.

maxim

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2005, 03:05:49 AM »

i think 'shocking blue' are one of the great underrated bands of the sixties

inane lyrics (like 'baby, let me carry your bag' and 'never marry a railroad man'?!?... they were dutch,after all), but great hooks and great pop-rock arrangements

way ahead of they time, imo

cheers
max
paris, france

vernier

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2005, 11:47:20 AM »

Yeah, I only heard the one hit .. was simple, dry, and punchy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 19 queries.