R/E/P > Terry Manning

Songs from the 60's and 70's, obscure or not, that really stand out

<< < (20/20)

vernier:
Great documentary ....Tom Dowd makes you feel like you're there with him ..neat guy ..hope more films like that are made.

MCullen

cgc:
Seven pages an no mention of The Stooges 'Funhouse'?    Hard edged sound with really intense performances that really were captured with minimal crap between the band and the tape.  A truly classic rock album in my view.

David Kulka:
In the discussion of foot stomping sounds, somehow no mention was made of "Foot Stomping", by the Flairs.  That's a great, early R&B/rock song.

Also, a page or two back, somebody mentioned Allen Toussaint and the New Orleans R&B songs.  Oh right, that was me.  Another of his great but now obscure productions is "Nearer To You" by Betty Harris, on the Sansu label.  With its commanding vocal, church-heart keyboards,  and soulful chorus "Nearer To You" could have been a beautiful gospel song, but instead it was a beautiful love song that made #16 on the R&B charts.

I'm not so sure that anyone here will go out of their way to find an old Betty Harris or Chi-Lites record but trust me, these are great old recordings that are worth having.  If you run across one in a used record store cheap, buy it.

P.S.  I'd like to know more about the history of New Orleans R&B and rock and I'd start a thread on it, but I guess this forum is about to be retired.  Still, if anyone here can recommend a book or DVD or two, I'd like to know about them.

P.P.S.  Thanks again, Terry.

greg thum:
tarmadilo- Strange how these posts have evolved.Dan Kennedy questions,what happened to Dave Bromberg,tarmadilo responds.David Kulka mentions Tom Dowd,vernier replies...nothing unusual about that.But...

I too had lost track of Dave Bromberg`s career over the years but have some information as to how it began.Surprisingly,at least for me,he toured with Jerry Jeff Walker for a few years in the late 60`s.The original version of"Mr.Bojangles",recorded by Tom Dowd featured Dave Bromberg on second guitar.If memory serves it was recorded  at a radio station and was to be used as a demo.That "demo" version is the one used on Jerry Jeff Walker`s second album "Five Years Gone" .

greg thum

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version