R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs from the 60's and 70's, obscure or not, that really stand out  (Read 79944 times)

WhyKooper

Re: Songs from the 60's and 70's, obscure or not, that really stand out
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 06:33:28 PM »

........."Rock and Roll Woman ..Buffalo Springfield
Bluebird ..Buffalo Springfield..."

I second the vote on those two.  R&R Woman is three minutes of pure pop magic.  And from a tracking/mixing standpoint, Jim Messina should really be proud of the way he engineered it..which I've told him myself a few times.  Especially since he had no automation to work with.  Listen to that one close.  There's an awful LOT going on there with the guitars.  Stuff coming in and out on the faders all over the place.  Nice dry room sound.  A really good choice of instrumentation, playing, and mixing.  

Same goes for "Bluebird".  Massive compression on that middle acoustic lead, but dang, it makes it so full.  That's one HUGE sounding acoustic guitar in the context of the overall recording.  Not bad for the spring and summer of 1967.

WhyKooper

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 06:41:37 PM »

.....:"Jefferson Airplane's "Crown of Creation" was an astonishing...."

Yeah, I like that one too.  It's so weird.  The way it's put together is so strange.  The way the band sings the harmonies is so strange.  The arrangement is weird.  The ending is weird.  But that is one r-e-a-l-l-y good song and record.  I still listen to that one sometimes.  I also like their version of "Triad".

Lee Flier

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 07:05:00 PM »

I have to agree that "Eight Miles High" is one jaw dropper of a record.  "Crown of Creation" too.  Good calls!

One that's really a great example of GOOD distortion: "Lies" by the Knickerbockers.  It sounds like the tape is about to melt down it's so saturated, but it's great!  Dave Clark Five records had a tendency to sound that way too.

In the "pretty darn obscure but great" category I'd like to nominate "I See the Rain" by Marmalade.  Great vibe, great harmonies, killer melodic guitar hooks.  Check it out.  My band covers it on occasion.

Then there's the "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" by the Move.  Can't beat that bass line.

OK that's enough for at least the next 10 minutes. Very Happy

vernier

Buffalo Springfield, Jefferson Airplane . . .
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 07:14:58 PM »

quote "Same goes for "Bluebird". Massive compression on that middle acoustic lead, but dang, it makes it so full. That's one HUGE sounding acoustic guitar in the context of the overall recording. Not bad for the spring and summer of 1967."

Yep, THE hugest ..hasn't been anything like it since.

quote "Jefferson Airplane's "Crown of Creation" was an astonishing...."

Interesting listening to it now, recording is so minimal, no tricks, just music ..the early Heider sound.

Radd 47

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2005, 07:21:46 PM »

I really liked the live version of Fat Man in the Bathtub by Little Feet off Waiting For Columbus. I played it so much that I burned out on it.
I saw those guys right after they recorded Feet's Don't Fail Me Now at the Winterland Auditorium in SF. It was durring the Rock and Roll recession. There were about 200 people at the whole show. Walk right up and put your elbows on the stage. Lowell used a Craftsman socket to play slide.

Rick Sutton

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2005, 07:40:21 PM »

Just gotta add 8:05 by Moby Grape and Green Onions by Booker T and the MG's.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2005, 07:48:50 PM »

The thing I love about having my iPod on random is REALLY listening to stuff that I never truly scrutinized, because I would never pick it to listen to.  So, I'll name some lame pop music that I think sounds amazing: "All By Myself", by Eric Carmen.  (Especially considering how shitty the Rasberries' recordings were.)  But this is an incredibly produced track and a great song, with some help from Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto.  It's funny though, after the bridge, everything stops and then a drum fill leads them back in, but the drums and the rest of the bands falam on the 'one'.  That would be so unacceptable by today's standards.  LOL.  We really just kill the vibe on most shit today, don't we?

Speaking of the Move, almost all of the ELO records from the '70s just fucking kill me.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

vernier

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2005, 09:44:17 PM »

quote "Especially considering how shitty the Rasberries' recordings were".

I love Rasberries albums (all of 'em) ..tons of energy, lots of compression, and very musical ..one of the best live bands I ever saw too.

compasspnt

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2005, 10:29:46 PM »

J.J. wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 19:48

Speaking of the Move, almost all of the ELO records from the '70s just... kill me.  

Slightly off this topic, the last ELO album, "ZOOM," is almost unknown.  But this is a truly amazing piece of work.  Jeff's finest hour, in my humble opinion.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2005, 11:10:02 PM »

Well, my point about the Rasberries was that those records, as great as they are, ain't the best examples of 'hi-fidelity'.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

vernier

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2005, 11:35:57 PM »

Right ..true.

David Kulka

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 12:18:42 AM »

I've been traveling all day and after checking in to my hotel and taking a look at the thread, was amazed to see so many replies.

A lot of those songs are on vinyl records that I've still got, but haven't listened to in ages.  Others are tunes I'd never heard of before.  After getting home I look forward to spinning a few of the old disks again, and buying some of the others on iTunes.

Thanks to all who have replied, and thanks in particular to those who explained what made their favorites stand out, and delved into the stories behind them.
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

vernier

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 01:01:25 AM »

Wait ..there's more! ...

"I've Been Waiting For You" from Neil Young's first album. Also, "The Emperor Of Wyoming" and a couple others.

greg thum

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 10:35:06 AM »

" Journey To The Center Of The Mind" by The Amboy Dukes [Ted Nugent-lead guitar]

The panning during the bridge borders on pandemonium ...can you say panache,a true 60`s classic!

greg thum

vernier

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 10:56:01 AM »

Another hot one was Nazz's "Open My Eyes" ..remember that one?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.