R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Paul Superapple Thread  (Read 13692 times)

J.J. Blair

The Paul Superapple Thread
« on: March 04, 2005, 07:05:27 PM »

Speaking of mystery Beatles tapes and recorded phone calls, am I going to have to post the Paul Super Apple recordings for you guys?   I currently have J&H production on my homepage.  A true classic if ever there were one, but Paul Super Apple is in another class of his own.

Enjoy some J&H in the meantime:  http://homepage.mac.com/jjblair/FileSharing27.html
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

Re: The Bizarre Beatle Mystery Story
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 07:49:31 PM »

Paul Superapple is absolutely the greatest.  I have grown to actually like the songs (especially the copyright notice sung in the bridge).  Has anyone ever called him, or encountered him in any way?  I always wanted to, but knew I'd have to record the call, and it always would take too much time away from working.  Talk about Rupert Pupkin!

As for J&H, I have never believed it is totally real...it seems too good to be true.  I first encountered this in about '71 or '72.  My very first impression was that it was staged.  But I may be very wrong...

neve1073

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 11:07:42 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 05 March 2005 00:49

Talk about Rupert Pupkin!

Yeah, that's pretty much the perfect description.
=============================
Let's be discrete.

Brian Kehew

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 01:28:45 AM »

Some bits:

1) Paul Superapple songs were re-recorded by Bruce Honsby and the Range during their heyday. Full studio production...

2) PLEASE stop the Bernard Purdie stories: He ONLY played on the AMerican "German EP" reissue (Tony Sheridan Beatles sessions) to add punch to the drums (which were Pete Best). The American issue has louder drums over the same mix.
     These were released AFTER the Beatles hit America, and Purdie only knew it was "The Beatles" and sounded like them because it WAS them. He didn't know songs, only when it was done, which was during their "first albums" era. He exaggerated about how much he did.

3) Speaking of Purdie - just today I got my copy of one of my favorite sessions - mixing the complete "Aretha Franklin/King Curtis: Live at the Fillmore" set that is coming out. I was assigned to mix the complete sets of three nights for them, one of the hardest challenges I've faced, but it really came out well. Bernard Purdie is the drummer, and his feel is loose and wild but makes the show run, when others are wingin it... (Check it out when it's released - Billy Preston, Jerry Jemmott, King Curtis, etc. A KILLER backup band...)
Relax and float downstream...

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 06:13:05 AM »

Terry, if you download the PSA file from my public folder, the very last mp3 is a phone call to Paul.  Brilliant, yet sad.  Check it out.

Now if we can just find somebody to host .mpgs of the Steve Vai obsessed groupee video.  We need to remaster it in surround sound, too.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Level

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 06:53:48 AM »

JJ, how big is it?? (the file)

I may have enough room.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Lee Flier

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 09:10:02 AM »

J.J. wrote on Sat, 05 March 2005 06:13

Terry, if you download the PSA file from my public folder, the very last mp3 is a phone call to Paul.  Brilliant, yet sad.  Check it out.

Holy crap JJ!  I can't believe you did that! Very Happy  That's awesome.  And yeah, quite sad.  When was this conversation?

BTW you have a really nice speaking voice.  Can I be your groupie? Very Happy

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 02:43:28 PM »

WAIT A SECOND!!!  That's NOT me on the tape.  The guys just happens to say that his name is "J.J."  My understanding was that it was an A&R guy.

Justin, did I miss something?  LOL.  If I should have or could have taken offense at something, I must have missed it!

Bill, I would have to transfer the thing to a .mpg file, and it's about 25 minutes long.  If you are in LA, maybe I can bring it over.  All your underground groupie videos are belong to us.
studio info

Jeff Goodman

Re: The Paul Superapple Thread
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 06:40:15 PM »

um, pertaining to the J and H Productions mp3:

can you say redundant?

wow.

calvacade of stars.

hmm.

Jeff

RMoore

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 07:06:11 PM »

Like those echo freakouts on Apple Love
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

RMoore

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 07:13:06 PM »

Speaking of people who shouldn't get on a mic check out:

http://www.greensleeves.net/bio/biogbombadrop.html

Click on 'The Cat' by Tony Matterhorn..

Its actually on a commercially released record..

I think its some strange take on rock and roll..
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Level

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 07:27:16 PM »

I am in Florida JJ. I have some space available is all. I may not have enough actually.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

archtop

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 07:32:37 PM »

J.J.  SO I must have gotten those Casualties of Jazz tunes from "YOU", I couldn't remember where I got 'em.

thats what I been tryin' to learn my Hammond with.

Some of my favorite tracks in the world.

Richard Williams

maxdimario

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2005, 08:54:19 PM »

this is where art comes from: The guy is totally convinced of what he is doing.

He believes in his music, and therefore he believes in himself.

His belief has spread among those who have heard him.

Unfortunately, to better illustrate what is perhaps PSA's Achille's heel, Paul super apple is not comparable to Paul McCartney as far as true pop star quality, even though macca is one of PSA's heroes (along with Keith).

Paul McCartney was already a star in the making at 16 years old (had already written hit material)and was gifted with the ability to communicate to a mass public.

PSA's ability to communicate on a public level leaves a lot to be desired to say the least. This does not have to be a problem though, because production teams really should be able to take someone like this and 'use' his work to obtain a good song that has mass appeal.

I think he is mad, but something to investigate and try to develop.. if only because he is true to the source.

Take heed! A&R men and Entrepreneurs.

maxdimario

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 08:59:05 PM »

Oh... and maybe a nice example is the guy who wrote Nature Boy, that was sung by...uhm..Nat King Cole.

The writer was a homeless guy (actually lived on the beach? and then near the HOLLYWOOD sign) who built his own flutes.

He even had his own album (afterwards)! it was great.

he was nevertheless a total recluse and alien to society generally speaking.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.