R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waddya think of UAD-1 DSP System for PTools, Also Fairchilds  (Read 2159 times)

angopop

Waddya think of UAD-1 DSP System for PTools, Also Fairchilds
« on: March 02, 2005, 06:12:21 PM »

Hello all.

I'm looking to move up to some nicer plug-ins.

Right now I've got a Digi 002 with Waves Native Power Pack, and I'm considering some of the Waves Renaissance plugs. Years ago I had the chance to use the Bombfactory Fairchild 660, which made every vocalist go 'Ahh' when I'd put it on their tracks.

UA has a Fairchild 670, how does this compare to the BF Fairchild? The BF alone is $600, while the UA package is $900 and you get many many plugs additionally.

Also, I've read that running this UAD-1 DSP card on ProTools has some problems --- latency, I think you need a wrapper as well? What can anyone tell me about it?

Thanks,
Arthur

Vertigo

Re: Waddya think of UAD-1 DSP System for PTools, Also Fairchilds
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 08:24:55 PM »

I HIGHLY recommend the Waves Ren plugs - I routinely use the REQ, RVerb, and RComp more than any other plug in the Waves collection (and I own almost all of them). The Ren plugs are quite sweet.

I haven't used the UAD plugs, although I'm probably going to spring for the card soon, as it was very highly recommended by a friend.

-Lance

henchman

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 08:43:17 PM »

The UAD plug-ins rock. The fairchild is wicked.
From what I've heard,t he BF stuff is crasp compared to the UAD plug-ins.

PaulyD

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 09:12:19 PM »

Arthur,
I haven't compared the BF Fairchild 660 to the UAD Fairchild 670, but, as henchman says above, the UAD Fairchild 670 is outstanding.

According to this page on UA's web site, the UAD plug-ins are "Supported via special UAD-1 version of FXpansion's VST to RTAS Adapter" with RTAS hosts.

As I understand it, Pro Tools LE does not have full PDC support, so aux sends and bus channels may have latency issues. The UAD does come with track advance/track delay plug-ins and UA has some very good examples in their manual on how to use them. This might not solve for every situation you may run up against though. You may get more complete responses from the UAD forums on UA's web site. Their support tech's reply directly to customers there and are really helpful.

Cheers,

Paul

Jonas as

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 05:46:20 AM »

I have experience of using both the UAD and the BF fairchild models.

There is NO comparison, UA wins big time. It's the plug-in that i miss most, now being on a TDM system. The BF Fairchild 660 and 770 is IMHO unusable.

Hope it helps,

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 19 queries.