R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bizarre Beatle Mystery Story  (Read 80956 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: The Bizarre Beatle Mystery Story
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2005, 11:23:42 PM »

David Kulka wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 17:45

Ahem...tell it to these guys...

http://www.jewsharpguild.org/

Bwahaha!  I stand corrected!  Wow, how incredibly not PC.  LOL.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

maxim

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2005, 02:13:36 AM »

for a while, in my early twenties, i believed that there was literally no problem in existence that couldn't be solved with duck tape (or 'gaffa' as it's known in oz)

i challenged people to come up with problems, and come up with duck tape solutions

my favourite was the issue of world peace

my solution was to gaffa the world leaders together until they had no chance but to work out their differences

i wish now that plan was put into fruition

cheers
max
'the duck tape freak'
paris, france

Otitis Media

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2005, 07:32:36 AM »

Most likely a mutation of "gaffer's" tape, which we use all the time lighting film and video shoots.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

David Kulka

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2005, 08:05:15 AM »

Ahem...getting back to "A Day In The Life", here's a question that someone here can probably answer.  Just how did they get that very long decay at the end?

I read somewhere that "electronic trickery" had been used, but I'd like to know the rest of the story.  With an EMT plate, maybe you could come close by opening the damper plate all the way and hitting the input hard, but my gut feeling is that you still wouldn't get that much decay time without picking up hum and hiss towards the end.

When I was listening in the shop last week I watched this part of the track on a scope looking for an edit point but if one was there, I must have blinked and missed it.  Maybe they simply fed the output of the reverb back into the input -- common enough now, though pretty much unheard of back then.  But that might have a fluttery effect, or sound unnatural.  Does anyone know how this was done?
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

retrograde

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2005, 09:26:05 AM »

I read in an interview with Geoff Emerick, that he compressed the heck out of it and started with the faders low and rode them up during the decay of the piano notes.

David Kulka

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2005, 09:36:09 AM »

Do you mean that we're just hearing the natural sound of the piano with a lot of gain fiddling, but with little or no reverb added?
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

compasspnt

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2005, 10:33:10 AM »

David Kulka wrote on Thu, 24 March 2005 09:36

Do you mean that we're just hearing the natural sound of the piano with a lot of gain fiddling, but with little or no reverb added?

It is my understanding that is correct...but at least 2 pianos, not just one.  The mic noise does increase as it goes along.

wwittman

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2005, 03:20:53 PM »

I love the 'flip' at the end of A Day In The Life where everything that was left goes right and vice versa.
A liittle treat for headphone listeners just to be weird!
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

J.J. Blair

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2005, 03:55:37 PM »

What's that sawtoothy wave sound in the left side of the mix during the piano(s) note?

BTW, as I'm listening to the song right now ... my god!  What incredible sounding toms.  Definitely no tea towels on this track.

And one more note, as ar as David asking about reverb.  An open sustain pedal on the piano will totally give the impression that there is reverb.  Maybe that is what you are hearing?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

wwittman

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2005, 04:12:58 PM »

Calf skin heads, on the drums. Ringo was in that phase.

and that great Studio 2 live reverb chamber.

I believe the "noise" you are talking about on the other side is an acoustic guitar!
(Probably their ubiquitous J-160e... but no doubt Brian Kehew is sneaking up about to say the usual: "No One Knows")
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

J.J. Blair

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2005, 04:14:50 PM »

wwittman wrote on Thu, 24 March 2005 13:12

Calf skin heads, on the drums.

No doubt before Paul became a vegetarian!
studio info

Brendan Thompson

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2005, 06:28:40 AM »

maxim wrote on Thu, 24 March 2005 18:13

for a while, in my early twenties, i believed that there was literally no problem in existence that couldn't be solved with duck tape (or 'gaffa' as it's known in oz)

Are you sure Duct and Gaff are the same thing? I always thought Duct had the shiny silver back and the adhesive that leaves sticky residue but comes off easily, while Gaff has the black backing and leaves no residue (but will peel off paint and varnish)...
http://home.no.net/nightguy/images/teambunny2.gif

I'm currently out of my mind, please leave a message after the scream...

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2005, 08:20:14 AM »

A gaffer is the person who sets up and adjusts the lighting on a movie set. Gaffer tape was developed by Permacel for a photographic lighting manufacturer for use with a light weight fixture that could be taped to the walls or anything handy on a set without damaging it or risking the light falling off.

The real deal is pretty expensive. There are cheaper knock-offs that aren't as easy to use and cause more damage. Duct tape is also 2" wide and looks a lot like gaffer's tape only it wasn't designed to be removable. Because it's a high-volume commodity, it's lots cheaper than the other two.

maxim

« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2005, 08:31:33 PM »

right, thanks, bob

no, only gaffer for me (and only the real thing)

as you say, it's expensive, but worth every cent

i've seen houses where everything has fallen down, inc walls and wallpaper, but the gaffer's still standing

compasspnt

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2005, 07:59:55 PM »

I have dug out of the vault my 1/4" dub made from the Original Beatle Mystery acetate.  Holding it in my hand now.  It's on a reel of Sony PR-150 "Professional Recording Tape."  I will play it tomorrow.

TM
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.