R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bizarre Beatle Mystery Story  (Read 80994 times)

neve1073

Re: The Bizarre Beatle Mystery Story
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 03:54:43 PM »

This is one for Sherlock Holmes. It couldn't be a Beatle prank; you could have got some musicians in that day to learn it, record it and release it first.

The strangest thing is that it then disappeared as mysteriously as it came. And then Bob Ohlsohn had the same experience?

Maybe the FBI working with MI5, eager to sabotage the beatles, broke into various studios to steal and plant beatles material hoping it would somehow drive the fab four round the bend. Or maybe aliens.....never mind. Wink

You know, if I didn't know better, I'd guess this was an early april fools joke on this forum!
=============================
Let's be discrete.

compasspnt

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 04:21:51 PM »

neve1073 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 15:54

This is one for Sherlock Holmes. It couldn't be a Beatle prank;... if I didn't know better, I'd guess this was an early april fools joke on this forum!

I can assure you on my part that this is no joke, april or otherwise.  I'm sure Bob would say the same on his part.

And if indeed Holland got the same or a similar disk around the same time, I must admit that I am totally stunned.  I have lived with this for years, not ever knowing how or why, only discussing it a time or two with John Fry, just to reassure myself that it did indeed happen, and telling the story to only a select few friends, until today.  Otherwise, I COULD NEVER HAVE IMAGINED that anyone else had a like experience!  I really do think that someone out there in the world somewhere must know the answer...it's time for them to let me, at least, know!

Incredulously,

Terry

Level

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 04:28:32 PM »

Well....every studio has a ghost.

This is quite wild indeed. I would also like to see if this particular mix has "floated" around some other facilities...and I would love to hear it one day/
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

neve1073

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 04:39:15 PM »

So George Martin never called you back to find out why you hadn't posted the acetate? The fact that he wasn't extremely worried sounds a bit suspicious as I think about it.

A great story. That guy charles kaufmann should write a screenplay based on this event.
Let's be discrete.

compasspnt

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 05:01:56 PM »

neve1073 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 16:39

So George Martin never called you back to find out why you hadn't posted the acetate? The fact that he wasn't extremely worried sounds a bit suspicious as I think about it.

He was worried, but I did a good job of assuring him that it would go no further than me, where it was in my power.  I think he had a lot more to be worried about at the time than this, though.

Quote:

A great story. That guy charles kaufmann should write a screenplay based on this event.

Have him call me; I've got one underway, but what the...

JGreenslade

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 05:41:45 PM »

Genuinely mind-boggling, thanks for sharing Terry.

Did you try and get some answers when you were based at Abbey Rd?

Justin

Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

Radd 47

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 07:21:12 PM »

The weird part is that someone managed to get into the studio. Unless it was an inside job, they must have figured a way in.
Obviously, they were watching the place, as they had a small time frame to do this.

And how did it get over here from the UK?

Yhe Beatles stopped touring by the time this happened, correct? So it's not like someone found it at a concert backstage or at their hotel room.

Possibly a disgruntled employee at Abbey Road?

Maybe George was shopping for a new label? He was not too thrilled with EMI, I know that.

Bill Mueller

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 07:21:46 PM »

Terry,

What an incredible story. Wow.

While most everyone is concentrating on how the acetates got in Ardent in the first place, I am most interested in how it disappeared from your bookshelf! Sounds like the CIA/FBI to me. I do remember something about Elvis and the FBI and his dislike for the Beatles.

Kind of brings back that "Paul is dead" feeling.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

J.J. Blair

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2005, 07:36:47 PM »

A couple things here ...

Terry, let me get this straight ... that's YOU playing that line on "Stranger In a Strange Land"?  OK, you have worked on too many of my favorite albums.  No fair.  What other Leon stuff did you work on?  I don't know if you saw me ask the question in the weird session thread, but do you know who "Shootout On the Plantation" is about?

BTW, did you know that they wanted to call the first album "Can a Blue Man Play the Whites?"  You probably did, but how many other 35 year olds do you think know that.   Cool

Next, Bob Moog pronounces his last name like 'vogue', but apparently the company is pronounced like 'droog'.  (The only word I could think o that rhymed.)  This is according to Brian Kehew, and everybody at the Moog booth at NAMM pronouced it that way, too.  Go figure.  I always say it halfway in between the two so nobody can tell me I'm saying it wrong.   LOL.

Lastly, I know Bob Olhsson hasn't responded yet, but the earliest synth I can think of on a Motown song is the Supremes' "Reflections".  Does anybody know?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 08:16:09 PM »

J.J. wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 19:36

A couple things here ...

Terry, let me get this straight ... that's YOU playing that line on "Stranger In a Strange Land"?  OK, you have worked on too many of my favorite albums.  No fair.  What other Leon stuff did you work on?  I don't know if you saw me ask the question in the weird session thread, but do you know who "Shootout On the Plantation" is about?

Didn't work a lot more on Leon, although he was a good friend, and came around a lot.  But yes, that's me playing that synth line.  He was very excited by the new Moog instrument.

Quote:

BTW, did you know that they wanted to call the first album "Can a Blue Man Play the Whites?"  You probably did, but how many other 35 year olds do you think know that.

I do remember that, now that you mention it...wouldn't have thought of it otherwise, though.
Quote:

Next, Bob Moog pronounces his last name like 'vogue', but apparently the company is pronounced like 'droog'.  (The only word I could think o that rhymed.)  This is according to Brian Kehew, and everybody at the Moog booth at NAMM pronouced it that way, too.

Respectfully to you JJ, I am sorry, but any Moog (as in "Vogue") employees, including all the way to the top, who pronounce the word wrong are, well, wrong in my opinion.  I was there at the very inception of the company, working with Bob, although for a short while, and the company name was Moog as in "Vogue."  They made a product, however, called the "Rogue," and THAT NAME rhymed with "droog."  Not really.  When Bob sold out, all hell broke loose, semantically.

Quote:

Lastly, I know Bob Olhsson hasn't responded yet, but the earliest synth I can think of on a Motown song is the Supremes' "Reflections".  Does anybody know?

Bob?

Respectfully, Terry

Later that same evening...

"perhaps I should edit this post...hmmm...Brian K. might not like it....oh well, never mind....maybe I don't know what I'm talking about anyway....but I do wonder why in Heaven's name a man would NAME HIS OWN COMPANY AFTER HIMSELF, but then MAKE SURE that the company's spoken name DID NOT RHYME with that  name....???"

{See Brian's response to that below!}

neve1073

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 08:27:40 PM »

I'm telling you, it's government conspiracy. It's a good thing you told us all publicly because now they can't harm you.

Razz
Let's be discrete.

compasspnt

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 08:33:31 PM »

neve1073 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 20:27

I'm telling you, it's government conspiracy. It's a good thing you told us all publicly because now they can't harm you.

54-12 stuff!

compasspnt

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2005, 08:39:36 PM »

JJ (and anyone else who cares),

As a Leon fan, you surely know about the Asylum Choir ("Welcome To Hollywood," +).

This was a GREAT, pre-Leon-goes-solo album that is a lost masterpiece.  Know why the tissue paper roll was on the original artwork?

Also, forgot to answer, but I unfortunately I don't know who "Shootout/Plantation" is about.  Maybe someone else?

TM

J.J. Blair

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2005, 08:40:19 PM »

Speaking of things Bob (pronounced like cob), here he is standing next to me and my awesome studio tan.

index.php/fa/734/0/
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2005, 08:42:29 PM »

Nice pic!  Which one is Bob?

only joking!  (But I don't use the smiley picture things...)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.