R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pandora's Box...Pultec EQP 1a 3 ??  (Read 2455 times)

New Orleans Steve

Pandora's Box...Pultec EQP 1a 3 ??
« on: February 27, 2005, 02:18:04 PM »

O.K.
I have recently spied a couple of pieces of gear that I am unfamiliar with. Can anyone help with my homework?

1st up "Pandora's Box"; a compressor of some sort. VCA? Sited for individual tracks?

2nd A Pultec "EQP 1 A3" silver (brushed aluminum?) I think it's 2 spaces. Is this a tube unit, or is this the 2520 based version. Is it originally for music or some other application?

Steve
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

Fletcher

Re: Pandora's Box...Pultec EQP 1a 3 ??
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 03:30:57 PM »

Pandora's Box... man does that bring back some memories... about 1/2 a rack width wide stand alone unit if I remember correctly [I don't think I've seen one in 15 or so years!!]... from what I remember it was an "interesting effect" but that's about as much as I remember of them.

As for Pultec EQP-1A3's they came in both tube and solid state [API 2520 op-amp].  The "1A3" was the 2RU version of the Pultec EQP-1A with a silver face plate... the old Power Station [now known as Avatar] used to have 24 of them in line with the outputs of the tape machines... at some point Ed Evans [the original Power Station Chief Engineer] installed a hard wire bypass switch on them... there are still like a dozen in each room at Avatar.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 01:01:49 PM »

THANKS Fletcher!

The Pandora's Box is actually 2 rack spaces full with 2 chanel. I'm gona try to give it a spin. If so, I will post my impressions.

I'm still wondering if it'a a VCA unit - somehow I'm inclined to think so.

Steve
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 03:58:58 PM »

Hmmm... the only "Pandora's Box" I had ever seen was at Capricorn Studios in Macon, GA... there were two little units that were in the "cassette dupe closet".

Best of luck with 'um... definitely give a shout back if they're cool!!
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jan Folkson

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 05:17:47 PM »

I was at Avatar Studio A just yesterday twidling those knobs.  There were several but I couldn't tell you how many.
- Jan Folkson
http://www.janfolkson.com

Noiseless pickups?  What's the point?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.