R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Word Clock & stable power!  (Read 2803 times)

JT

Word Clock & stable power!
« on: February 14, 2005, 02:05:18 PM »

Hey folks,

I am just finishing up tracking and mixing a project that is scheduled to be released internationally. I used various versions of Digital Performer throughout the process (using 4.52 now) with the 1224 breakout box. I am not going to run down the entire equipment list right now, but I want to say that the sound finally jumped from "project studio" to world class after buying a stable word clock (Big Ben), purchasing dedicated converters (Lucid), a voltage regulator (Monster Power) and outboard EQ (Great River EQ-2NV).

Folks, it would be ludicrous for me to say that you have to buy the same gear as I did in order to obtain world class sound; but I must firmly state that a stable clock source and voltage regulation are essential when working with digital equipment. I suffered in despair like many of you wondering why the sound would change randomly...I knew in the back of my mind that there were voltage fluctuations- especially in the summer- but the price of a "real" voltage regulator hovers around $2000. Most of us with project studios just don't want to fork over that kind of money for a box that just "sits in the corner" and doesn't seem to do much.  But stable power does make a difference- and so does a stable clock.

I no longer have to think about my setup- I am free to finally concentrate on just making music.  I thank God and I thank all of the people that have taken the time to post on this board and others...; again, big thanks to Fletcher and his collegues at Mercenary for helping me with the Great River and Lucid products. Also, thanks to Dan Kennedy at Great River for world class customer service and a world class product (EQ-2NV). Lynn Fuston was also a great help over at 3DAudio. If you can't afford to buy all of the types gear I mentioned right now, I encourage you to start with a dedicated work clock first- you won't regret it and it will pay for itself soon enough.
Hang in there:)

Peace,

Jay Thompson
Third Stage Publishing

kato

Re: Word Clock & stable power!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 03:22:52 PM »

Whoa! That Monster Power Voltage Regulator is a $1500 beast!

(assuming you're talking about this model:)
 http://www.powersystemsdirect.com/Monster_Cable/Monster_Cabl e_Automatic_Voltage_Stabilizer_Power_MP-AVS2000_113.php

Are there effective alternatives closer to home?
I see Furman has a model in the 5-600 range but they only promise 120v with a "plus or minus five volts."

I would imagine plus or minus five is enough to destabilize your digital audio.

Kato
always interested in getting sound that doesn't blow

JT

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 06:17:13 AM »

Kato,

I checked around, and it seems that the better designed voltage stabilizers all hover around that $2k mark. I had an older Furman unit years ago (AR117) that I paid around $400 for and got pretty good use out of it for a couple of years, but it's no longer working...

I know Equitech makes units also, but their pricing is in the same league as Monster.

The better units are pricy but seem to be worth it. I have not regretted my decision at all, and it was confirmed when I sent out some work to be mastered recently and the mastering engineer commented on the quality of the mix.Smile  Another good example would be the UA 2-610 preamp. Like at lot of other people, I was not as impressed as I thought I would/should be when I bought it; but hooking it up to the Monster seems to have opened up the sound. I was going to trade the UA 2-610 back in to Guitar Center and take a slight loss if I had to, but I have now changed my mind. Tube gear needs stable power, and a lot of us with "project" type studios suffer with frustration with the "DAW" sound (plastic top end, smeared mids). But I tell you with confidence that the combination of good converters, stable clock and stable power will allow you to put focus back on the music.

Hang in there and best wishes,

Jay

Roland Storch

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 04:27:01 PM »

Another really good power conditioner is from Burmester.
http://www.burmester.de/english/components/power-conditioner -948-infos.html

Burmesters approach is different to most of the other conditiners on the market. It has a 500W power amp that works in parallel with the AC power.
A clever idea, but very expensive.

brandondrury

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 12:14:21 AM »

How do these voltage regulators compare to those computer backup things that will keep electricty flowing to your gear for an extra 10 minutes or whatever?  

I bought a used version of a $500 version and it claimed to keep everything within 1 volt, if I remember correctly.

Also, how much change can you expect with a dedicated clock vs a the clock in a Mytek converter, for example.

Brandon

doughiggins

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 12:24:28 PM »

brandondrury wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 21:14

Also, how much change can you expect with a dedicated clock vs a the clock in a Mytek converter, for example.

Brandon

ENJOY  Very Happy
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/2133/0
doug

kato

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 07:24:52 PM »

Thanks Jay, I appreciate your comments. I'll be adding some kind of voltage regulation to my studio in the future.

I've read raves about the UA610 - but also pans - so I've always suspected it needs to be used in the right environment. It's like using as SM57 for vocals. It can sound great - but only when paired with a good mic amp.

Does anyone know how these voltage stabilizers work? Do they have storage cells inside to provide when the voltage drops?

Interested,  Kato
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 19 queries.