R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a real reverb unit-help please  (Read 1162 times)

rjd2

Building a real reverb unit-help please
« on: February 27, 2005, 07:46:06 AM »

hi-sorry if this is too nuts and bolts for here, but i cant seem to find much info on this......
    i own a house, and have built my recording studio in the basement. in a back room in the basement is a remnant from the early 1900's when these homes where heated by oil. it is a 6 ft.X 3 ft.X 2ft. oil tank, made of iron. completely empty. has a very long decay when struck. i dont know much about building "real" reverb units(plates,cans, or otherwise). any leads on whether this could be turned into a reverb unit of sorts? if so, how?

fyi-i am comfortably handy with a soldering gun/carpentry. thanks for your help/info
rj krohn

Barry Hufker

Re: Building a real reverb unit-help please
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 09:08:38 AM »

I think this can be done quite easily, modeled on the idea of an echo chamber.  Begin by placing a reasonable sounding speaker in the tank.  The speaker will be fed by your mixer through and auxillary, etc. and should be thought of as the "reverb send".  Keep the speaker's amplifier outside the tank.

Next put a fairly large baffle of some kind in the tank.  This can be a large board, masonite, lucite, whatever.  It should be large enough to present an obstacle of reasonable size but in no way should it prevent sound from travelling past it.  Mount it so it is perpendicular to the tank's floor. The baffle should be some reasonable distance from the speaker -- maybe halfway down the length of the tank.

For a stereo unit, mount two reasonable sounding microphones at the far end of the tank, well away from the speaker and baffle.  Put them on a mike stand and even on a stereo bar.  Position the mikes in either an X/Y or ORTF pair.  Run the leads out of the tank into microphone preamps.  This will be your "reverb return".

Making sure the top of the tank is enclosed, send some audio from your console to the speaker in the tank.  Bring the audio back into the console as reverb.  If everthing is working well and you like the sound, seal up the tank, including all cable holes.  If it doesn't sound right, keep experimenting until you either get "the sound" or you can't stand it anymore!

Barry

joeq

Re: Building a real reverb unit-help please
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 09:35:19 AM »

there is an excellent article on building your own plate reverb right here on PSW.   Maybe you could adapt those plans and substitute your oil tank for the flat plate.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/tapeop/plate/plate.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 16 queries.