R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How the heck did you do this, Terry?  (Read 14408 times)

thesoundguy

Re: How the heck did you do this, Terry?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2005, 05:37:33 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 27 February 2005 20:36

I thought that this "saying" might have been performed in a backwards manner.  So, for some strange reason, I recorded that same saying forwards, turned that around backwards, and worked a long time learning phonetically, and as "correctly" as possible, to say the backwards sounds FORWARDS.  In other words, I was soon speaking "backwards."  Then I recorded that backwards speech, and turned THAT recording around to play in reverse.  The result was the saying "Paul's a Queer" being phonetically rendered forwards, but with an out-of-this-worldly, almost mutant sounding speech pattern.  ("Ray-oook'---nyeh-sssssslop'" for those who want to learn this august phrase in 'backwards-speak.')  All that this experiment showed was that I was not to be trusted with any spare time.

If there are any twin peaks fans in the house, this is exactly how all the dialogue for "the arm" (the short guy) was done.  They did a reading, played it backwards, the actor learned it phonetically backwards, and it was played forwards while the film for the scene was run backwards (yes, the scenes were essentially performed in reverse).

The first thing I did when I got a 4 track when I was 11 or so was try to recreate that stairway to heaven thing.  I worked on that with my neighbor for MONTHS and we did EVERYTHING we could think of to get that to work.  Our conclusion: you need to make a deal with the devil to have something that random occur on your record, case closed.

dave

Kris

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2005, 08:13:10 AM »

Consider this thread "Wrapped up like a douche"... (sorry) Rolling Eyes

iluvatar

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2005, 03:03:35 AM »

thesoundguy wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 17:37

If there are any twin peaks fans in the house, this is exactly how all the dialogue for "the arm" (the short guy) was done.  They did a reading, played it backwards, the actor learned it phonetically backwards, and it was played forwards while the film for the scene was run backwards (yes, the scenes were essentially performed in reverse).

dave

I was going to mention the same thing. I could be wrong, but wasn't  his first appearance done differently (regular speech played backwards) than the other times he showed up?

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Minister of Public Enlightenment
Mercenary Audio

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

drumsound

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2005, 12:28:19 AM »

J.J. wrote on Sun, 27 February 2005 15:33

I remember when I was a kid hearing on WMET in Chicago that somebody had discovered a backwards hidden message on The Wall.  I googled it and sure enough found it.  At the end of Goodbye Blue Sky", if you reverse it, it says, "Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm".

WMET, now that's a blast from the past.  My brother and I shared a stereo that our Auntie Cath gave.  We used to listen to WMET all the time.  I remember some DJ who used to scream "WHAMMO!"  I usually associate his memory with Dr. Johnny Fever...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 18 queries.