R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How the heck did you do this, Terry?  (Read 14408 times)

Barry Hufker

Re: How the heck did you do this, Terry?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2005, 08:49:56 AM »

No, I'm *not* kidding.  A bustle was a framework women wore to add fullness to their skirts.  Check here for the definition.   http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn?stage=1&wo rd=bustle

And I still stand by my explanation of that line.  It's amazing maxdimario that you have figured out what none of the rest of us could.  If I have read you incorrectly, then I apologize.  Otherwise, I don't appreciate the sarcasm.

And "sprinkling" is a sort of pun.  Just as one "waters" the lawn, there's a sprinkling happening from the sex in the hedgerow.

When it comes to words, it's not smart to f**k with English majors! ;>)

Barry

Otitis Media

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2005, 09:31:55 AM »

Just to add fuel to the fire here:

On the tune Black Dog, where Plant sings:

"Took my money, took my car, started telling her friends she's gonna be a star..."  

If you reverse it says:

"ooooooooooooooHHH SATAN!"  

Very distinct.  Discovered it when I was 13 - slip cueing against the DJ needle on my turntable.  

Now, I don't think they meant it to be there, just a trick that phonemes play, IMHO.  

Dan
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

wwittman

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2005, 09:42:55 AM »

hey, isn't it "spring clean for the May Queen" anyway?

pretty cool line actually.

meanwhile, I have discovered that if one plays Babylon Sister backwards it says "Sterile, misuse of high paid studio musicians"

REALLY scary.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

maxdimario

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2005, 09:54:47 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 14:49

No, I'm *not* kidding.  A bustle was a framework women wore to add fullness to their skirts.  Check here for the definition.     http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn?stage=1&wo rd=bustle

And I still stand by my explanation of that line.  It's amazing maxdimario that you have figured out what none of the rest of us could.  If I have read you incorrectly, then I apologize.  Otherwise, I don't appreciate the sarcasm.

And "sprinkling" is a sort of pun.  Just as one "waters" the lawn, there's a sprinkling happening from the sex in the hedgerow.

When it comes to words, it's not smart to f**k with English majors! ;>)

Barry

Don't mean to emit any negative vibes here.
Sorry to appear sarcastic, but there are two meanings to bustle, one is the article of women's clothing, and the other is the one I quoted above from a dictionary.

It's all in fun.

Zeppelin continues to create controversy Smile

Did not mean to shake any bushes.

..and if you listen very hard, the truth will come to you at last...

Excuse me, I have to attend to my spiritual quest.

Bobro

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2005, 10:09:00 AM »

Gradeschool jokes:

-What word begins with F and ends with U-C-K?

-Oooooh, I'm gonna tell on you!

-What do you mean? It's FiretrUCK! What word did you think I meant?

and...

-How do you spell pans?

P-A-N-S

-How do you spell pots?

P-O-T-S

What do you do when you come to a green light?

....doh!

Actually we don't listen and uncode in a serial way even if our ears recieve information that way.

But backward masking still falls under humor, IMO. And I think that if you have to listen to Britney backwards to discover the evil, you need to be more worried about forward-masking.

You KNOW what I'll be doing in the studio tonight, hahaha! Betcha I won't be the only one, either...

peace,

-Bobro

Barry Hufker

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 10:11:06 AM »

Maxdimario,

I am sorry too for anything offensive I wrote.  It is hard sometimes to read the tone of what is written.

Certainly no problem.

Yes, it's true.  Each to his own interpretation.  As you said, that's what art is all about.

Barry

mr. moon

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2005, 11:02:01 AM »

I have also noticed that most times it's really difficult for me to hear the backwards messages unless I have been prompted as to what I "should" be hearing. I know others have mentioned this also, but I actually went to a few of the backwards-masking sites months ago and downloaded the audio files. While I was at the site(s) it was really easy to hear what I was prompted to hear (via what was printed on the web page translating the message) in the backwards message. A month later I listened to all the files again that I saved on my hard drive, without any prompts or cues as to what I was supposed to be hearing, and I couldn't make most of them out. To me this is evidence that most of these are of the "accidental" variety rather than the "deliberate" type (i.e. the backwards message in Pink Floyd's "Waiting for the Worms").

Terry: Are there any hidden messages in any of the Zep tunes you worked on? Did Jimmy or Robert ever talk to you using their backwards-masking vocal technique (Smile)?

-mr moon

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »

mr. moon wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 11:02

Terry: Are there any hidden messages in any of the Zep tunes you worked on? Did Jimmy or Robert ever talk to you using their backwards-masking vocal technique (Smile)?

-mr moon

On what I did, there was ABSOLUTELY NEVER any mention of any backwards masking.  Of course, I only worked on a small portion of their total recorded output.  And Jimmy was definitely into the Aleister Crowley "Black Magick" situation (which was NOT satanic, by the way!)  But, being a friend of Jimmy's for many years, both before I worked on 3, and after, I think he would certainly have mentioned it.  We corresponded quite regularly, by phone or by letter (remember those?).  If he had been "up to" something like that, I know he would have said something about it.

MedicineDog

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 11:48:23 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 27 February 2005 12:36

So for fun, I recorded the lead singer speaking phrases like "Eat all your vegetables!" and "Don't forget to brush your teeth!" and other excellent, non-Satanic things

Now THAT'S funny!  Laughing
-Aaron Anderson

"Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge" D. Henley

mr. moon

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2005, 12:38:16 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 10:23

mr. moon wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 11:02

-mr moon

On what I did, there was ABSOLUTELY NEVER any mention of any backwards masking.  Of course, I only worked on a small portion of their total recorded output.  And Jimmy was definitely into the Aleister Crowley "Black Magick" situation (which was NOT satanic, by the way!)  But, being a friend of Jimmy's for many years, both before I worked on 3, and after, I think he would certainly have mentioned it.  We corresponded quite regularly, by phone or by letter (remember those?).  If he had been "up to" something like that, I know he would have said something about it.

Yes, I remember letters. (...actually, I just sent my gramps a B-Day card with G-Bush on the front holding up three fingers saying saying something like "So I hear you're another year older, I have three words to say to you..." so you open the card and it says "Happy Birthday" which of course is funny becuase that's only 2 words. Bush is like that and my gramps loves him. Confused )

Anyways, perhaps you should find the old letters from Jimmy, record yourself reading them aloud, reverse the track and then play them back. Maybe you'll hear what he *REALLY* was saying!!
 Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

-mr moon

JGreenslade

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2005, 02:03:05 PM »

Interesting as the clandestine art of the "back masker" may be, I wonder if we should have a thread on amusing / puzzling words engraved on the lead-out grooves on vinyl releases? What have you read?

Justin  
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

Consul

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2005, 03:37:11 PM »

Actually, I think a "mis-heard lyrics" thread would be a lot more fun. How about it, Terry? It would be a cool way to round out the month. Thumbs Up

-----
Darren "I guess it rains down in Africa" Landrum Very Happy
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

J.J. Blair

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2005, 03:41:54 PM »

There is a book on the subject called "Kiss This Guy."
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Consul

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2005, 03:48:15 PM »

Yeah, I know, and a web site, too. (www.kissthisguy.com last I checked.) That takes all the fun out of it, though.

Oh, well. It was just a thought.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

djui5

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2005, 05:20:57 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 09:23

And Jimmy was definitely into the Aleister Crowley "Black Magick" situation (which was NOT satanic, by the way!)

Whatever happened to the house?

(sorry for OT)
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 17 queries.