R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann TLM 103 as overhead ?????????  (Read 8662 times)

bigbone

Neumann TLM 103 as overhead ?????????
« on: February 26, 2005, 09:08:42 AM »

Hi Terry,

What do you think of using 2 TLM 103 (neumann) as OH in a home studio , looking for a kind of vintage sound , not too bright,.......what do you think.

Thank's

Bigbone

Montreal.Canada

Chris Moore

Re: Neumann TLM 103 as overhead ?????????
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 09:33:22 AM »

i'm not terry, but i don't know if the tlm-103s are what you're looking for for a vintage sound. they are actually pretty bright, and don't really have the same sound as a pair of 87s or 67s. they certainly could work as oh's if that's all that you have. but they wouldn't be my first choice if there were 87s or a pair of ribbons around.

Chris Moore

compasspnt

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 11:13:43 AM »

I will "second" the above answer.  I am not a big fan of the TLM Neumann mics.  I love the older Neumann's, in fact, they pretty much set the tone for microphones for many years.  But "New Neumann" (Sennheiser), in my humble opinion, lost what they once had, and the newer ones just don't have what I'm looking for.  Any good engineer would do just fine with the 103's, for many purposes, but they wouldn't be my first choice.

In fact, for brand new-made mics, I would MUCH prefer R

bigbone

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 11:56:49 AM »

Hi Guys

Thank's for the info on the TLM 103......Lucky i did talk to you, cose a salesman did a great pitch on that mic,,,,,he ALOMOST got me,,,,,,i will try those rode mic like you told me terry,,,,,and by listening to the shakira album,  i guess you know what you  are talking about when you talk about mic,,,,,,,,,how's that for butt kissing  hihihihih

Best regard

Bigbone

Montreal, canada

Middleman

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 02:30:06 PM »

The TLM has usable results but requires a really spectacular preamp otherwise it just goes bland. I sold a pair that I had and kept the NTK, AT4033 and other mics because they just sound better.

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 02:44:46 PM »

bigbone wrote on Sat, 26 February 2005 11:56

Hi Guys

Thank's for the info on the TLM 103......Lucky i did talk to you, cose a salesman did a great pitch on that mic,,,,,he ALOMOST got me,,,,,,...

Gotta watch those salesmen!  They usually know a whole lot about high end studio recording, and the character of microphones of various vintages.

There are a LOT of microphones made today with much more character than the TLM's.

Greg Dixon

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 05:15:45 PM »

Ah yes, you've got to love salesmen. When Cubase VST first came out, I had a guy trying to tell me that it could replace my Tascam MS16 and Soundcraft desk. I said I'd stick with what I had and was then accused of living in the dark ages!!

I'll 3rd or 4th the opinions on the TLM mics. The TLMs are just a bit bland and polite. I compared the TLM 103 to a Rode NTK and the NTK won hands down in the character department.

eightyeightkeys

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 09:01:29 PM »

Before I bought my TLM103 I tried quite a few mics - specifically for vocals. When I put up the TLM103 it was exactly the sound that I was looking for. Incredibly quiet, crisp and clean. Like any mic, it's not for every vocal or application though.

The only feature I wish it had is a pad. For O/H's you'll have to be careful of overloading the mic. The right distance from the source and you'd be fine.
Dave T.
D&D Music

bigbone

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 09:07:21 AM »

Thank's guys for the info about the TLM 103 ,,,,,,i'm going into another direction, but i did try the MXL 990 as OH's, and the sound find, i don't want to compare those with a neumann, but the sound was neutral , capture the drums kits, without the bright and harsh

hi end, and for about 100$, i got nothing to loose......

So dont give me a hard time, but i will try the MXL 990 as OH's for now......

and plus i still got $$$$ left for the stipper,,,,,,,,,Smile)),sorry , i'm a drummer !!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 17 queries.