R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: jimmy page's compressor  (Read 22062 times)

compasspnt

Re: jimmy page's compressor
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 10:51:34 AM »

The 2 channels I have from the EMI Abbey Road Studio 2 console have compressors built in on each channel, and they sound GREAT.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 03:41:21 PM »

I almost forgot!  Yes, I've seen the Abbey Road console and almost bought one of the stereo channels ten years ago, and they DO have built in compressors.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

thesoundguy

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2005, 01:33:38 PM »

neve1073

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2005, 02:23:55 PM »

maxdimario wrote on Thu, 24 February 2005 11:56

andy_simpson wrote on Thu, 24 February 2005 09:51

I always thought the beatles had an 1176 on the '1 buss' anyway....hence all those intro's that are big and loud but go away when the singing comes in.....
Infact, I heard that it was permanently patched....even in tracking....maybe that's the way to get a good beatles mix, where every fader, EQ, and echo return is done as it suits the 1176.......

Wink

Andy

An 1176?? what recording are you talking about??
strange application, they had better suited tube compressors around.

gotta get one of those beatle books.

I don't think 1176 existed when the beatles were recording. I'd guess it's fairchild.
=============================
Let's be discrete.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 02:44:48 PM »

They existed but the EMI desks had an excellent compressor on every channel. Everybody had Fairchilds floating around outboard because they had been thrown out of the mastering rooms because they sounded so bad.

compasspnt

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2005, 03:58:38 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sun, 27 February 2005 14:44

They existed but the EMI desks had an excellent compressor on every channel. Everybody had Fairchilds floating around outboard because they had been thrown out of the mastering rooms because they sounded so bad.

Yup, exactly!

Brian Kehew

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2005, 01:44:11 PM »

WWittman, as usual, was right!

The book is
http://www.recordingthebeatles.com
and it will have no information (directly) about Jimmy Page, but may answer your gear questions about The Beatles. 300 or so pages, many nice photos of studios and gear (even unseen Beatles pics), and a FULL chapter on just the outboard gear, most of which you have never seen in a photo.

There's a LOT of misinformation about EMI and the Beatles - a good example here is people talking about desks that were (by and large) a 1970's item. (FWIW - I have only seen TWO people in the world that actually have cassettes from the Beatle-used desk, although many claim to be. It's easy to spot, but I'm not allowed to say how...)

Please be careful about little tidbits of information you hear at this point... lots of mistakes there.
Relax and float downstream...

wwittman

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2005, 04:23:55 PM »

Any of those lousy Fairchild 660s and 670s you guys want to give away, i am happy to take off your hands, so you can go back to your "superior" 1176s.

Really.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 04:54:05 PM »

The "superior" mastering compressors I saw at EMI Studios in 1969 were custom EMIs I've never seen elsewhere. Here in the US, LA-2as and later LA-3as displaced a lot of Fairchilds. Everybody had bought them for the vertical/lateral setting but it turned out to be a sonic disappointment so they got moved into the control room. The 1176 was a popular track limiter. American desks rarely had built in dynamics modules unlike English. The only old tube limiter I ever got very excited about was the RCA BA-6a!

djui5

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2005, 04:59:39 PM »

wwittman wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 14:23

Any of those lousy Fairchild 660s and 670s you guys want to give away, i am happy to take off your hands, so you can go back to your "superior" 1176s.

Yeah..if anyone's throwing out these "horrible sounding" compressors...please send a pair my way. I'll pay shipping Smile
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.