R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-Channel Cheese  (Read 1241 times)

Greg Reierson

Multi-Channel Cheese
« on: February 25, 2005, 02:51:12 PM »

Mono movie track to multi-channel.

Is there any remotely plausible way to do this that will still fold down to stereo or mono (IOW, no delays or reverbs allowed)? Plugs? Boxes? Techniques?

I tried Bob and Glenn's z-K6 surround box and it was great for music but not at all suitable for mono voice-oriented sources. Other options I've tried add reverb or delays that ruin the fold down. The best I've come up with is some careful comb filtering and panning - but it ain't pretty.

Anything.... or should I just say no and respect myself in the morning.

GR
Rare Form Mastering

bobkatz

Re: Multi-Channel Cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 04:37:38 PM »

GR wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 14:51

Mono movie track to multi-channel.

Is there any remotely plausible way to do this that will still fold down to stereo or mono (IOW, no delays or reverbs allowed)? Plugs? Boxes? Techniques?

I tried Bob and Glenn's z-K6 surround box and it was great for music but not at all suitable for mono voice-oriented sources. Other options I've tried add reverb or delays that ruin the fold down. The best I've come up with is some careful comb filtering and panning - but it ain't pretty.

Anything.... or should I just say no and respect myself in the morning.

GR
Rare Form Mastering

Thanks for the nice comments on the Z-K-6, GR. I've heard some interesting demos from the Chase guys restoring mono soundtracks to pseudo-surround, but it was gimmicky. The airplane buzzing in North By Northwest went from a distant mono source to a pseudo stereo-surround item as it approached. Like they were clicking things in and out to avoid throwing the dialogue out of the center. No dialogue====surround effects.  Dialogue======close it up to center, guys....  

But they do have something going for anyone who is not a hypercritical ear. Unfortunately Chase's system is all proprietary, definitely not a do-it-yourself box.
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

zetterstroem

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 11:14:54 AM »

there are some nice things in the TC 6000 as well

only heard it at a demo..... but it sounded nice
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 08:49:34 AM »

ZETTERSTROEM wrote on Sat, 26 February 2005 10:14

there are some nice things in the TC 6000 as well

only heard it at a demo..... but it sounded nice

Same here. The mono to surround demo I heard was rather astonishing, but it wasn't for a file with various visual cues to determine the sound source...

I'd guess that it would be impossible to do well.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.