R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oldie, but a good one!  (Read 3538 times)

robero

Oldie, but a good one!
« on: February 22, 2005, 03:18:57 PM »

Hi! It's my first post on this forum! I've been very interested about the topics posted here, especially concerning about the vintage stuff, and now I would like to know if any of you guys know  anything about how the the The Who's Tommy album was recorded. I've only read about it somewhere, how it was recorded on 8-track. The bass-sound sounds very good to my ears than most of the stuff recorded on that era. Was it only the sound invented by the bass-player of The Who or was there some special limiting or other 'sound engineering' done to it? Likewise the drum-sound seem to have some big reverb on it, is it there to increase some stereo-field to compensate the the very creative panning techniques used in the sixties, or was it maybe used just to get the depth, along with the other instruments.

It seem to me that most of the modern records lack similar depth!

And please if anybody knows, does the the tape make such an difference, compared to digital, that all the sound is very smooth, or is just the sound engineers skill. Laughing

compasspnt

Re: Oldie, but a good one!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 04:47:46 PM »

Welcome robero!

This is a big question, which unfortunately I am unable to answer myself, but I'll bet some of the august crew out there have some insight into this classic album!

I will say that John Entwistle was indeed an awesome bass player with a great tone, and that certainly would have been the beginning of great recorded bass sounds.  And yes, great analogue tape can indeed make a "smoothness" difference.

Answers, anyone?

robero

Re: Oldie, but a good one!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 05:21:23 PM »

Thanks for for your reply, and I just had some thoughts relating to the overall sound where 'the smoothness' just is ear-pleasurable. Some of earlier The Eagles recordings seem to have just, or if even not more the the similar smoothness. And if we're not just getting into J.Entwistles's sound, I just happened to listen to Buena Vista Social Clubs quite a new recording Omara Portuondo, It also seem not to suffer the sharpness I seem to hear in a lot of, I guess over-compressed sound, I'm sure all the recording professionals are aware of.    

I'm asking what can be done?? To make the music better.

Obviously it's not about the musical genre.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.