R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 versions of each CD?  (Read 5145 times)

eligit

2 versions of each CD?
« on: February 21, 2005, 10:08:04 PM »

considering the whole conflicting interests of the folks w/ the cash and the folks with the ears would it ever be plausible to simply make 2 masters of any given mix?

1)the crappy loud A+R guy version

2)the quieter, dynamic, hi-fi version

would this ever be applicable?

at least then there would be something nice in somebody's vault at the very least.  considering the cost and time of a big budget record as a whole as compared to a day or two of extra mastering.....

then neither CD would be a compromise and each could achieve it's own particular set of goals.

i realize this is probably not practical in any case.  but it sure would be cool.  

Level

Re: 2 versions of each CD?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 10:13:35 PM »

CD for the crushers, SACD/DVD-A for those who want quality.

As you can see, the trends favor CD.

Multi-formats are expensive. Single formats with duplication adds to the confusion.

Either way, with separate licenses, the artists could benefit.

http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 05:09:38 AM »

Considering the A&R guy (label) is the guy that generally signs off on the record and insures you get paid, what he signs off on better be what hits the shelves.

Considering most artists aren't requesting smashed to death records (regardless of the lip service the mastering mafia guys give) the real question isn't "why can't we cut two records", but "why are these guys so bent on destroying the music?"...

Most artists/labels/etc trust the mastering guy. The mafia guys want you to believe that they are simply monkeys killing themselves tirelessly trying to appease their masters, which is not my experience at all. Artists/labels/etc will occasionally ask for a little more level (if you cut reasonably loud, I'm not cutting records as if they were 'Brothers in Arms'), but in general, if the EQ is right, they're fine with it.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Samc

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 05:33:23 AM »

So Brad, my question to your statement is, why are people sighning off on these "smashed to death" projects if that is not what they want?  Out of pure trust of the mastering engineer?
Sam Clayton

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 06:26:52 AM »

Samc wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 04:33

So Brad, my question to your statement is, why are people sighning off on these "smashed to death" projects if that is not what they want?  Out of pure trust of the mastering engineer?

IMO, yes, compounded by the fact that it has become 'acceptable'...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

eligit

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 07:15:34 AM »

Level wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 03:13

CD for the crushers, SACD/DVD-A for those who want quality.

As you can see, the trends favor CD.

Multi-formats are expensive. Single formats with duplication adds to the confusion.

Either way, with separate licenses, the artists could benefit.

mmmm DVD-A without crush...sonic joy

i think i will save all 96k/24bit mixes of my little experiments with this in mind....

JohnMcD

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 01:50:56 PM »

Well, personally, I thought making things loud was fine and dandy. But then reality hit...very hard. I started getting complaints. Very bad for business. Short end of a long rant, I had to adjust.

People aren't cattle asking for more loudness. Especially A&R. If they get it and like it, great. But it isn't that simple.

From my experience, most DIY, local, indie stuff likes to be pounded. Most commercial stuff is way quieter. But after real world excercises, I learned that this dileneation is not sufficient.

Case 1: Loud cut CD playing over loud PA speakers in a club. Then followed by less processed/quieter CD playing over loud PA speakers in a club. This version of course gets the volume dial treatment to make it as loud as the first. Not surprisingly, this quieter version is not only fuller, more impact, and damn well sounds easier on the ears when loud than the loud cut CD. The loud cut CD sounds like a wash of sonic garbage at these insane PA volume levels!(What goes around comes around!)

Case 2: Consumers buying a loud cut CD are having trouble with it in some of their older but favorite CD players. Particularly discmans.

Case 3: Loud cut CD getting broadcasted. You can imagine the rest.

I have been whipped very hard for it. It is not to say ME's can get away with this without consequences. I was just lucky this didn't escalate for me. I am now confidently saying I'm more conservative. But IF and WHEN a client asks for the insane levels, I'll oblige.

I think I've embarressed myself enough.

Thanks,

-John

Level

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 03:54:24 PM »

Quote:

But IF and WHEN a client asks for the insane levels, I'll oblige.

Not Me. I will pass it on to another mastering engineer. I will not put my name on something I did to destroy the hard work of the recording engineer or the artist.

I am as hard core about this as Steve Albani is about not taking artist points.

It is a religion to make the final sound its best.

Death metal does sound "better" running at -13.5 to -9 on rms values, whole and part track respectively.

This is not crushing. It was crushed to begin with. You are making it competative. This I will do...because I am not trashing the sound. It was already trashed.

One out of 100 projects are death metal here. 65% of what I do are acoustic performances.

I will trade one on one any death metal project to a compentant engineer for an acoustic one they simply have not the feelings to deal with. I love organic, acoustic recordings.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Andy Simpson

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 04:41:52 PM »

As I just said in another nearby thread Wink just crush the single and let the album breathe.

You ME's with integrity and consceince could do the extra version for free to get the concept off the ground.....so the artist has no reason to refuse.....

Andy

Smash the single (ADVERT), listen to the album (PRODUCT).

eligit

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 07:41:44 PM »

that's what i'm talkin about

Andy Simpson

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 12:56:08 PM »

Yeah man. But unfortunately everyone's in the other thread arguing about who should make the stand to reclaim 1.3dB less smashing....
Wink

Surely we can have a no-compromise album version AND a massively smashed, attention-grabbing single.....since the radio/tv sounds like shit anyway.

I personally would like my albums not only unsmashed, but reduced in level by about 5-10dB just to get some headroom in my amp and some usable fine control with the volume knob.....

Andy

Smash the single, listen to the album.

Ronny

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 05:12:35 PM »

andy_simpson wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 12:56

Yeah man. But unfortunately everyone's in the other thread arguing about who should make the stand to reclaim 1.3dB less smashing....
Wink

Surely we can have a no-compromise album version AND a massively smashed, attention-grabbing single.....since the radio/tv sounds like shit anyway.

I personally would like my albums not only unsmashed, but reduced in level by about 5-10dB just to get some headroom in my amp and some usable fine control with the volume knob.....

Andy

Smash the single, listen to the album.

If you play a cd that was reduced in level by -10dB, you'd have to turn your amp up by +10dB to match gain on a normal cd, or to the peak level that you are used to listening at. When you do that, you are bringing the noise floor of your analog side up by +10dB. You aren't really getting any useable headroom that way and actually shortening the dynamic range of the recording by +10dB. Best place to achieve gain, IMHO, is in the digital realm where you can take advantage of the lower noise floor and back it off on the analog side if needed, where you lower noise floor of the analog side not raise it. That's where more headroom on the analog side will come into play.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------