R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastering software solutions?  (Read 5915 times)

jfrigo

Re: Mastering software solutions?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 12:08:57 AM »

wow- return of the super old thread....   well, Sonic should have their new OSX simple CD prep app out in a few months. We'll see something at AES Barcelona. I'm axious to see how it turns out. Should be in the low or mid $1k area so it will probably have an impact, especially on the Mac side of things.

jackthebear

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 12:54:52 AM »

I'm running PTHD and do mastering full time. In OSX it's a hassle because you are limited to using eihter Jam, Peak or Toast. No-one hasn't come to see me or not legitimize my existance because I run PT.

There are work flow issues but it's nothing compared to the down time you'll experience with a PC.

In my experience they ALWAYS break down.

I've had so called experts come to my place with supposed bulletproof PC rigs only for them to self destruct.

I may inflame some of you with this and it is not my intention, but I would NEVER EVER get a PC, which in my book stands for Pretend Computer.

Technically PT is not a "Strict" mastering platform, but if you're a MAc person I suggest you stick to what you know.

Cheers,
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

jackthebear

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 01:00:30 AM »

Oh and to add to that.....Sonic's support for audio users is virtually noin-existant ( from people I know who have Sonic).

With PT you van continually upgrade doen the line at a reasonable cost.

I also get a LOT of clients who bring their sessions on PT sessions, so for me another reason to go that way.

There was talk of Digi providing a solution for PT, but I ain't holding my breath.

Cheers,
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

bblackwood

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 07:08:28 AM »

jackthebear wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 23:54

There are work flow issues but it's nothing compared to the down time you'll experience with a PC.

In my experience they ALWAYS break down.

I've had so called experts come to my place with supposed bulletproof PC rigs only for them to self destruct.

I may inflame some of you with this and it is not my intention, but I would NEVER EVER get a PC, which in my book stands for Pretend Computer.

Not inflamed, but making the point that Tony has a special touch with PC's, apparently. My current PC has been up 24/7 for almost two years now with zero failures. Granted, I'm a bit of a PC guy, but if it's built properly, it's rock solid - period.

We upgraded to Sequoia a while back and simply can't say enough good things about it so far. Still at 7.2x, awaiting 8.1, but loving it. My advice remains the same as always - find the software you like and buy whatever platform is required to run it...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

eligit

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 08:15:28 AM »

i just have to add that i am using dsp-quattro in OS X(non demo version) with success.  no crashed, more stable than WaveBurner (which i used in 9.2)

runs my sonalksis comp and other mastering plugs smooth as silk.

the tech support is the BEST i have ever gotten, right from the programmer himself.  also it is cheap and a new comprehensive manual has just been released. i got same day responses to all my questions before and after buying that were exactly right...

because it is so cheap, you should at least get the full version and try it.  according to the company (naturally) the src and dither is top quality stuff.

and by the way i am on a creaky old G4 867....

nobody sez this is Sonic but everyone should at least check it out.  the demo will not do many of the functions by the way.

jfrigo

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 10:55:04 AM »

jackthebear wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 21:54

I'm running PTHD and do mastering full time. In OSX it's a hassle because you are limited to using eihter Jam, Peak or Toast.

jackthebear wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 22:00

Oh and to add to that.....Sonic's support for audio users is virtually noin-existant ( from people I know who have Sonic).

I don't know why anyone should be having trouble with Sonic support anymore. I get a human every time I call (admittedly not often since I don't have any trouble with the system) and emails are always promptly returned. This is quite different from a two or three years ago around the time that Sonic Studio split off from Sonic Solutions. Support from Solutions had become a joke - a poor, cruel one that we all suffered. It took a little while after the transition for Sonic Studio to revamp things, but I really can't find fault with support presently.

Also, I think the new SSCD app will perfect for a PTHD user. It's not too much money and it offers PQ, CD burning, and DDP and can use your audio files from pro tools. Sounds like the perfect companion and a professional alternative to Toast, Jam, and Peak. The system will be modular and and as development continues, other modules currently in the works (I/Os, SRC batch processor, NoNoise, multichannel) will become available, and you can buy as much or as little as you need. Seems like a good idea with such an affordable buy in and expandability. If all you need is a stereo CD prep and delivery program, you can stop at the initial $1200-1500. (final price unavailable - this is estimated)

I know it's fun (for me too) to complain about Sonic based on the deep pit the parent company left the audio product in, and I complained as loudly as anybody at the time, and was actively looking to jump ship, but I really don't feel that way anymore. Some familiar faces from the heyday have come back, and they actually have active development going on now instead of one unsuported guy doing a half hearted job in a closet somewhere as it was before the transistion. This new product needs to be good, and it will either announce the return of Sonic, or the demise. It sure looks like a good idea, and I look forward to trying it out to see if it delivers. If it doesn't, I'll be back to delete this post after Barcelona...  Wink

-phile-

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 04:49:02 PM »

Well, sorry for going off -topic a bit but what do you guys think of WaveBurner? I haven't really had a chance to test it thoroughly but it looks like a viable solution.

(I am talking about the OsX version that comes with Logic 7... I used to use it quite a bit under 9 and it was definitely my favorite)

bobkatz

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 05:42:46 PM »

masterhse wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 14:23

Anyone have a chance to try this yet?

http://www.charismac.com/Products/Discribe/discribedata.html

If not, I'll download and give a report ...

Yes Please. Check for audio in the gap capability. And how does it compare with Toast?  What does it do that Toast cannot do?

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

eligit

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2005, 05:45:56 PM »

in os 9 waveburner was not the most stable thing around but it got the job done (mastering plugs, src, etc, crossfades, different effects on each track, )

waveburner as it comes packaged with logic 7 for os x is highly suspect and not nearly as good as the old version.

quattro is the way to go in this price range for mastering in os x (imho) AND i think i like it better than the old version of waveburner but not sure about that yet because i only just got quattro a month and a half ago...

eli
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 20 queries.