R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Z-Qualizer vs DBX Quantum vs plugins  (Read 11866 times)

Phil Demetro

Re: Z-Qualizer vs DBX Quantum vs plugins
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 08:58:12 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 19:34

passive transformer matrix (Lundahl) to get back to L/R. It actually works pretty well.

I still have my passive Lundahl matrix - works and sounds great.
I just don't use it that much anymore because I'm lazy  - as there is one built into the Dangerous Music console.

Slip

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007, 10:28:09 PM »

Speaking of EQ's, any of you tried this thing yet?

http://www.nugenaudio.com/SEQ1.php

It uses ridiculously long buffers for the ridiculously accurate linear phase FFT implementation. It also uses 64bit float internal processing and is smart enough to dither down (3 different modes and can be switched off as well).

In non-technical terms: It should sound bloody superb.

It's also got a Mid/Side mode.

I would really like your opinions on this thing as my guts tell me this is the best value for money when it comes to digital EQ (hardware or software). Anybody care to compare this thing with the Weiss?

Bad things about this plugin is that the usability and GUI are not up to par with the sound. Also, the very long buffers means that latency is bordering on ridiculous, though one can always tweak the settings at a less accurate setting and then switch back to maximum quality for rendering/printing.

- Slip
Niklas Silen @ Good Will Studios, Helsinki, Finland

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 03:08:35 AM »

present wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 17:27

Were we talking about the Z-Qualizer?

Yesss!

So today I used the Z-Qualizer on a few songs, but just a band or two, like -2dB at 2.8k to fix a bright guitar, or -1dB at 8k to tame a hihat... not all 6 bands at once. I can see if someone were considering it for a main EQ the ergonomics would be a little tedious... better to go with the ZQ-2.

The thing I like about the ZQ is it's neutrality, if I want character, I'll reach for the NSEQ or the Sontec.

Apparently the Algo Blue has a very musical character of its' own, hence the great comments.

Cheers - JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

MT Groove

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 03:53:58 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 12:52

3. Since I'm a Mac head, the Algorithmix Blue isn't an option, unless I wanna bring a PC into the studio to run strictly as an EQ. (but then I'd be stepping onto a slippery slope, tempted to add Sequoia to same machine... next thing you know I'd be schizophrenic, a weird hybrid of both the Mac & Windoze guys : - )

JT

Come....come to the darkside!!!   Twisted Evil

lowland

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 04:28:30 AM »

Phil Demetro wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 21:00

lowland wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 13:17

Phil (and indeed anyone who cares to comment): which Blue models do you find yourself favouring?

They are not really all that different sounding.[edit] The EQ makes me go "ahhhh" -  not the models.

This is my feeling too at the moment. I often use Classic Symmetrical as it comes up first, and am generally content with with I can do with it - I've found the proportional models a good alternative, though. I'd like to investigate Constant Q New and the two parallels further: next week will be a good opportunity with some varied music passing through.

Just out of curiosity, are Sontec EQs based on the serial or parallel principle?
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

livingstone

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 04:46:35 AM »

MT Groove wrote on Wed, 21 March 2007 02:53

Jerry Tubb wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 12:52

3. Since I'm a Mac head, the Algorithmix Blue isn't an option, unless I wanna bring a PC into the studio to run strictly as an EQ. (but then I'd be stepping onto a slippery slope, tempted to add Sequoia to same machine... next thing you know I'd be schizophrenic, a weird hybrid of both the Mac & Windoze guys : - )

JT

Come....come to the darkside!!!   Twisted Evil

since mac are intel based....
algorythmix told me they will develop a version of their plug ins for mac /intel  Very Happy
but no shedule yet Sad
frederic alstadt
www.angstrom-mastering.com

__________no time_______no sound_________

Tubefreak

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2007, 08:33:19 PM »

present wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 16:46

What do you mean Maarten? (In the context of this thread)

Well he was looking for "Something that can do subtle MS stuff mostly - usually just eq but MS compression might be useful once in a while." and he didn't fancy plugin EQ's.

Using an analog M/S encoder/decoder you can use any type of analog EQ, compression, limiting or clipping (!) you want on either m/s channel. Seems like a valid solution to his question.

As many others I use M/S both ITB and in analog, not all the time, but just when it asks for it. An as mentioned by Greg, it's a great way to add sloppy/character pieces to the music. An EQ mismatch in M/S is quite forgiving.

Maarten van Helden

present

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 07:31:32 AM »

Tubefreak wrote on Thu, 22 March 2007 01:33

present wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 16:46

What do you mean Maarten? (In the context of this thread)

Using an analog M/S encoder/decoder you can use any type of analog EQ, compression, limiting or clipping (!) you want on either m/s channel. Seems like a valid solution to his question.

Yes, indeed. Guess I missed that bit

regards
rogier
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.