R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Z-Qualizer vs DBX Quantum vs plugins  (Read 11867 times)

mcsnare

Re: Z-Qualizer vs DBX Quantum vs plugins
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 10:46:46 AM »

What's so hard about the Algo Blue interface? I find it stupid easy.
Dave

present

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 11:15:55 AM »

mcsnare wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 15:46

What's so hard about the Algo Blue interface? I find it stupid easy.
Dave

...and the dx version is resizeable.

I'm demoing the Blue now after having used the Orange a while back. Now, if I can only find the time...two weeks, fair enough I guess

rogier

jlapointe

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 11:22:10 AM »

lowland wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 10:39

Likewise with Blue: if you have an idea where you're going to begin with you hopefully shouldn't find the interface holding you up too much - it seems quite 'learnable' for faster operation.

Part of the problem with a lot of plugins (and to a lesser extent some digital hardware) is that the range of possible adjustments is often much larger than the typical analog piece - and often the typical usable range is quite small in comparison to the available range.  

Quote:

Having said all that, sometimes the non-sound issue burden is just too much: it was for me with the z-Qualizer which I gave several days before I threw in the towel, despite the very good sound. I suppose it's all about what you're prepared to put up with as you grow and achieve in what you do.

It also comes down to expectation as well - ie. does turning that knob give you what you expect?  I know I can dial in a usable high freq boost on the Massive Passive with one turn of the freq switch, and one turn of the gain knob.  To dial in the same eq shape on the Red (for example) takes multiple bands, and a few minutes of fine tuning.

An interesting exercise - load a song and dial in a decent sound on your favourite analog eq, then match that curve with a decent plugin.  But really match it - use pink noise and a long term average FFT analyzer, and overlay the analog eq curve and the plugin curve.   Adjust the plugin to match the analog curve.  You may be shocked at how much work and how many bands it takes to match it exactly. Once you have it matched, apply that plugin curve to the same song.  You may be shocked again at how close the plugin sounds to the analog eq.  In fact, with the Red and Massive Passive matched (for example), I find the Red often sounds better than the MP with identical curves.  However, what takes 30 sec to dial up on the MP takes minutes or more to dial up on the Red - long enough that the listen/react perspective is gone.  So the MP wins because it gives me what I expect quickly.

Best,

- J.  

Phil Demetro

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 11:26:50 AM »

JLaPointe wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 14:44

Quantum, vs the Z-Qualizer, vs the above mentions plugs.  Any experiences to share?

We've had them all here but the only one that survived the "great digital EQ purge of 2004" was the Zsys-ZQ2. The bottom end is very good. The interface is fine and easy to use. My only gripe is that it feels cheap. Other than that the Zsys is the a great deal and I still use it.

I have the Algorithmix stuff.... never use the orange. Red ocasionally and the Blue fairly often. The interface is great but is just so ugly. Buy the Blue. Way more versatile and great sounding than basically any eq I have used. Graphics aside it's got WAY more potential than my sontec. I wish they would put the Blue into a box with knobs!

(OT: anyone try the EMI curve bender?)

bblackwood

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 12:30:08 PM »

Phil Demetro wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 10:26

Graphics aside it's got WAY more potential than my sontec.

You selling it then?

hehehe
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

lowland

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 01:17:33 PM »

To clarify: I don't have any great problem with the Blue's interface, it's just that it is, and probably always will be, something you have to control with a mouse. While a hardware EQ is usually going to win in terms of interface and accessibility, the sound of the Blue is exceptional enough to these jaded ears, and at a comparatively modest price compared to hardware, that I'd probably put up with a much more clunky interface in order to use it. I'm happy!

Phil (and indeed anyone who cares to comment): which Blue models do you find yourself favouring?
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 01:52:49 PM »

...the only one that survived the "great digital EQ purge of 2004" was the Zsys-ZQ2. The bottom end is very good. The interface is fine and easy to use. My only gripe is that it feels cheap. Other than that the Zsys is the a great deal and I still use it.

Three Points:

1. From what I've read the Z-Qualizer is the same algorithm/sound as the ZQ2, but in a less ergonomic half rack size.

2. Because of Z's high quality sound, I can't see spending several thousands more on a Weiss... although with Weiss you get that equipment list Bling Factor to attract more gear conscious & scrutinizing clients.

3. Since I'm a Mac head, the Algorithmix Blue isn't an option, unless I wanna bring a PC into the studio to run strictly as an EQ. (but then I'd be stepping onto a slippery slope, tempted to add Sequoia to same machine... next thing you know I'd be schizophrenic, a weird hybrid of both the Mac & Windoze guys : - )

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 02:00:59 PM »

You'd be a Wack.

Tubefreak

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 04:19:50 PM »

Have thought about using analog M/S decode and encoding? This would give you the freedom to use any EQ and compressor you want.

Maarten

Phil Demetro

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 04:56:15 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 12:30

Graphics aside it's got WAY more potential than my sontec.

You selling it then?

hehehe

No one will give me what i want for it (it's a arbitrary figure...)

It looks too cool to sell.

Phil Demetro

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 05:00:59 PM »

lowland wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 13:17

Phil (and indeed anyone who cares to comment): which Blue models do you find yourself favouring?

They are not really all that different sounding. I guess it depends how clean I want it (usually very very). So i use the constant Q-New quite a bit. The Constant Q-Ideal, proportional, classic....etc.

Honestly, not all that different from each other. The EQ makes me go "ahhhh" -  not the models.

I will use the Red on med resolution typically. But I don't use the Red that much.

present

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 05:46:41 PM »

Tubefreak wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 21:19

Have thought about using analog M/S decode and encoding? This would give you the freedom to use any EQ and compressor you want.

Maarten

What do you mean Maarten? (In the context of this thread)

ak

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »

Anyone compared the RED , Orange and Blue ???

I own the Orange and Red and tested the Blue for a week.
But i must say the eq curves of the blue are more analog
but the sound is not like the "gadgets" where the curves/characteristics adapted from.

could´t feel that it makes sense to me because i already own
the Blue,Orange and using both as "only"digital eq in my chain.
But maybe if i find time i will ask for another trial of the Blue
again.

greetings

andreas

present

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 06:27:22 PM »

So far I'm very impressed with the Blue I'm demoing.

It has a very interesting LF response, quite powerful.
When boosting, it takes me some time to hear what it's doing exactly. A strange mixture of transparency and er, power.

But it does bring out things nicely.
Wish I could compare it to a Weiss. Or the Z-Qualizer.
Were we talking about the Z-Qualizer?

regards
rogier

Greg Reierson

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 07:34:03 PM »

present wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 16:46

Tubefreak wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 21:19

Maarten

What do you mean Maarten? (In the context of this thread)

I have some slightly dodgy EQs (old Telefunken W395 for example) that don't track all that well but have a sound I like. Using them in M/S mode minimizes the miss-tracking and adds a bit of flexibility. I use a z-Q2 (which rocks on many levels) to encode M/S and a simple passive transformer matrix (Lundahl) to get back to L/R. It actually works pretty well.

GR
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 20 queries.