R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED ZEPPELIN'S OTHER NAME  (Read 8657 times)

compasspnt

LED ZEPPELIN'S OTHER NAME
« on: February 18, 2005, 08:17:27 PM »

Led Zeppelin played one short tour in certain European countries under the name Bobby and The Helmits.  They were prevented from using their real group name by legal action from the Von Zeppelin family.

J.J. Blair

Re: LED ZEPPELIN'S OTHER NAME
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 08:53:49 PM »

Here is what I have concluded is the definitive 'actual' story about the name, based on reading many things over many years and knowing many people:  The name came about when Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, JPJ and Keith Moon recorded "Beck's Bolero".  Apparently, everybody was so turned on by the session that they were seriously considering forming a band with this line up.  Keith was obviously a member of the Who at the time, and he commented that him leaving the Who, which he was very tempted to do, 'would go over like a lead zeppelin', so they might as well name the band that.  It was never a comment about how the band now known as LZ would fare, as many accounts depict.  The name Lead Zeppelin sat around for a while and then was eventually chosen as the name for the band after they did some Scandinavian gigs under the moniker in question.  The "a" was dropped so that the punters wouldn't pronounce it 'leed'.

Other than that, this question is too easy.  How about, can anybody tell me who the songwriting duo of Nanker and Phelge are?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Chris Moore

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 04:07:25 PM »

>Other than that, this question is too easy. How about, can anybody tell me who the songwriting duo of Nanker and Phelge are?

it's actually a psuedonym used for songs that the Stones would write together in the studio, usually songs based out of jam sessions that they would use on b-sides and as "filler" album tracks. some of these might have been brian jones' or bill wyman's songs or ideas. i wonder who actually ended up getting the royalties from these songs though...probably it was split between jagger, richards, and andrew loog oldham.
Chris Moore

J.J. Blair

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 07:24:20 PM »

Bingo!  Yeah.  My understanding was that it was always just Mick and Keith.  In Wyman's newest book, he shows copies of his paltry publishing statements, and talks about how little he and Charlie made compared to Mick, Keith and even Brian.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

neve1073

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 01:11:28 AM »

I liked Dan and the supros.
Did you make that up for the test? Supros are cool!
=============================
Let's be discrete.

David Kulka

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 11:47:22 PM »

Well, I still have my original Masked Marauders LP.  You know, the Beatles / Stones / Dylan jam session that was released by Warner Brothers, and quickly recalled!
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

Level

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 12:40:15 AM »

I heard ...if we really 'clamm out' or (fuck up out there) we may go down as a "Lead Zepplin" (as in) Bullet metal lead.

That is how I was told. And the name stuck.

Been so many years. Realize, my first meeting with Willie Nelson was in 77...so there with how LZ got its name...
This is great reading and knowledge...where else you get this?

Thank G-D for Terrys site here.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 12:44:27 AM »

neve1073 wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 01:11

I liked Dan and the supros.
Did you make that up for the test? Supros are cool!

Just made it up...Dan for Danelectro, which JP played through a Supro amp.

Rob Darling

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 01:28:41 PM »

Who was actually playing on the Honeydrippers record?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 01:32:18 AM »

robdarling@mail.com wrote on Sat, 26 February 2005 10:28

Who was actually playing on the Honeydrippers record?

guitars: Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, and Nile Rodgers
keyboards: Paul Shaffer
bass: Wayne Pedziwiatr
drums: Dave Weckl
studio info

drumsound

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 12:33:00 AM »

J.J. wrote on Sun, 27 February 2005 00:32

[email

robdarling@mail.com[/email] wrote on Sat, 26 February 2005 10:28]Who was actually playing on the Honeydrippers record?

guitars: Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, and Nile Rodgers
keyboards: Paul Shaffer
bass: Wayne Pedziwiatr
drums: Dave Weckl

Weckl..really?  I didn't think there was a record with him that I'd own...

J.J. Blair

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 01:14:26 PM »

Tony, I'm as shocked as you are!
studio info

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.