R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SESSION TECH HORROR STORIES!  (Read 19350 times)

Bill Mueller

Re: SESSION TECH HORROR STORIES!
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2005, 09:26:16 AM »

I heard a similar story about Steeley Dan. I'm not sure if it is urban legend or true, but it went like this. The band was working on a song for weeks and was finally just about finished and ready to mix. The session lasted all night and before they left, a piece of leader was inserted in front of the song, which ended up at the end of the reel.

The studio tec came in the next morning and grabbed the reel, and as is the tradition in New York, proceeded to align the tape on what he thought was the TAIL LEADER! Oops. After laying 1k tones over the first half of the song, he hit play and SLAM! in comes the Dan tune. He just got up and went home.

This next one is one of those that you had wished never happend but proves that even us superheroes are human.

I was working for ZZ Top on my first trip with them to LA. We were staying at the Riot Hiatt on Hollywood. We had a ZZ Top billboard across the street from the hotel. Tres Hombres has hitting hard and all was good.

The gig was at the Paladium, which by the way, I was surprised to find out looked a lot like a high school gymnasium. Anyway, it was one of my first gigs where I was not on the PA crew but was working for the band as an assistant to Dave. So we set up the guitar amps and dropped an extension cord for power. After plugging all the amps into this extension cord, Dave told me to plug it in the splitter behind the stage.

Well, I jumped down from the stage and there were two splitters sitting right next to each other, and in fact I thought they were connected together, so I plugged the amp extension into one of them. The wrong one of them to be exact. Apparently there was a lighting splitter and there was a stage splitter and I chose lighting.

Everything went just ducky for about three songs until one big orgasmic confluence of lights and power chords and the whole damn stage went dark and quiet. Shit! I immediately knew what had happend and tried my best to crawl to the power boxes in total darkness and pull the extension from the splitter, that all knew by now was the lighting splitter. This was made even more difficult by the fact that all of the blood in my body had drained into my feet, making me quite light headed.

Once we got the power back on and the amps plugged into the right splitter, I laid on the floor and tried to figure out how I was going to hitchike back to the midwest with two broken legs. However, Bill never said a word to me about it, and in fact I think Dave took the heat for me. There I said it.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.