R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 797Audio capsule group buy at the Lab  (Read 2619 times)

Brad S.

797Audio capsule group buy at the Lab
« on: February 18, 2005, 03:40:28 AM »

Hello Folks and Hello Harvey,

Have lurked for some time in various forums here after discovering Harvey's Magnum Mic Opus a while ago, haven't piped up, just sponged up all the good knowledge represented.  Hoping this post is appropriate, if it ain't, well, let me know.

I'm organizing a group buy of the 797Audio 34mm K67 knock off capsule through the Hyatt brothers (PMI Audio) at the DIY forum, The Lab.  The buy/sell forum there is called the Black Market.  I'm sure some of you folks here are acquainted with some of those folks there!  

So here's the skinny, the 797 capsule in question comes in two varieties, two flavors of each, a 6 micron single diaphragm for fixed polar pattern, and a dual diaphragm for multiple polar patterns; there is also a 3 micron version in both single and dual varities.  The buy is for the 6 micron capsule, we're ordering both single and duals.  Mounts are also available as a seperate item.  Justin Hyatt quoted me a price of $100 for the dual and $75 for the single BEFORE VOLUME DISCOUNT.  No target number yet, I've queried him a couple of times but will probably need to give him a phone call to nail him down on quantities for discount pricing.

The 797 capsule is found in a few microphones of which I'm aware that are readily available in the North American market: the MXL 2003 uses the single diaphragm 3 um version;  the Studio Project mics all have the 797 K67 capsule, the B's have the 3 um and the C's have the 6 um.  Also reported to be found in the mighty Behringer B2 Pro, their multi pattern FET mic.  

They have to be used in other mics in the European market but I'm sorry to say I don't know what those mics might be.  As an off the shelf Chinese capsule these get the highest marks from the mic building gurus at The Lab; the next best value on the market would be Peluso's customized Chinese capsules, as a comparitive reference.

The uses for the capsules are limited only by your imagination; I'm personally replacing the capsules in my four MXL 990's and Royer'izing them.  (Then I'm going to build a Blumlein array stereo mic with the 990 left overs, woo hoo!)  The duals are a great budget option for Jakob E.'s DIY mic, the Gyraf G7.  The singles would be fantastic upgrade replacement for any early iterations of the Shanghai MXL mics you may have already modded with Scott Dorsey's circuit from Recording magazine.  And they are of course a very respectable capsule option for your own top secret, custom, hand built mic project.  

We're hoping to push the numbers up to 50 of each the dual and the single; we've got a hot rumor (before confirmation from Justin) that a healthy discount happens past 50.  Individual orders will be shipped by me from San Francisco, CA., international shipments are warmly welcomed.  Here's the thread; if it's condoned please feel free to cross post the link to this thread at any of the forums you frequent:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5497

rgrds,
Brad

acorec

Re: 797Audio capsule group buy at the Lab
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 05:36:07 AM »

Brad S. wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 03:40

Hello Folks and Hello Harvey,

Have lurked for some time in various forums here after discovering Harvey's Magnum Mic Opus a while ago, haven't piped up, just sponged up all the good knowledge represented.  Hoping this post is appropriate, if it ain't, well, let me know.

I'm organizing a group buy of the 797Audio 34mm K67 knock off capsule through the Hyatt brothers (PMI Audio) at the DIY forum, The Lab.  The buy/sell forum there is called the Black Market.  I'm sure some of you folks here are acquainted with some of those folks there!  

So here's the skinny, the 797 capsule in question comes in two varieties, two flavors of each, a 6 micron single diaphragm for fixed polar pattern, and a dual diaphragm for multiple polar patterns; there is also a 3 micron version in both single and dual varities.  The buy is for the 6 micron capsule, we're ordering both single and duals.  Mounts are also available as a seperate item.  Justin Hyatt quoted me a price of $100 for the dual and $75 for the single BEFORE VOLUME DISCOUNT.  No target number yet, I've queried him a couple of times but will probably need to give him a phone call to nail him down on quantities for discount pricing.

The 797 capsule is found in a few microphones of which I'm aware that are readily available in the North American market: the MXL 2003 uses the single diaphragm 3 um version;  the Studio Project mics all have the 797 K67 capsule, the B's have the 3 um and the C's have the 6 um.  Also reported to be found in the mighty Behringer B2 Pro, their multi pattern FET mic.  

They have to be used in other mics in the European market but I'm sorry to say I don't know what those mics might be.  As an off the shelf Chinese capsule these get the highest marks from the mic building gurus at The Lab; the next best value on the market would be Peluso's customized Chinese capsules, as a comparitive reference.

The uses for the capsules are limited only by your imagination; I'm personally replacing the capsules in my four MXL 990's and Royer'izing them.  (Then I'm going to build a Blumlein array stereo mic with the 990 left overs, woo hoo!)  The duals are a great budget option for Jakob E.'s DIY mic, the Gyraf G7.  The singles would be fantastic upgrade replacement for any early iterations of the Shanghai MXL mics you may have already modded with Scott Dorsey's circuit from Recording magazine.  And they are of course a very respectable capsule option for your own top secret, custom, hand built mic project.  

We're hoping to push the numbers up to 50 of each the dual and the single; we've got a hot rumor (before confirmation from Justin) that a healthy discount happens past 50.  Individual orders will be shipped by me from San Francisco, CA., international shipments are warmly welcomed.  Here's the thread; if it's condoned please feel free to cross post the link to this thread at any of the forums you frequent:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5497

rgrds,
Brad

For that kind of $$$ you can buy the whole mic cheaper.

$75 is way too high a price for a questionable capsule ( I am quite sure that the 797 factory throws away their share of bad capsules while manufacturing the mics)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.