R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Control  (Read 4434 times)

frist44

Monitor Control
« on: February 14, 2005, 11:23:40 AM »

I need some help from you audio purists. I orginally had a Becnhmark DAC-1. I had a great opportunity to buy a Lavry with both a/d and d/a loaded, so I picked it up. Assuming from review everything was cool, so I sold the DAC-1.

I needed a volume control, so I bought a NHT PVC as suggested by some. I'm noticing the stereo image is all over the place. At low volumes a mono snare appears way left, and as you max out the PVC, the snare travels back to the middle where it should be.

I'm assuming it's the pot. My idea was not to spend thousands on something like the Avocet, but will I find something to work, or would I be better off just getting the DAC-1 knowing the pot works they way it should, or do think i just have a bum PVC.

Thanks,
Brandon

frist44

Re: Monitor Control
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 12:30:13 PM »

I did some more testing. I sent some tones out of the d/a to the PVC then back to the a/d. The right side is down 6dB at it's worst.

The weirdest thing is that at about 95% of the pot's travel, the right side catches back up, and then the last 5%, the right goes back down 1 or 2 db. so it goes up and then down as you turn the pot to its max position.

Brandon

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 01:58:16 PM »

Definitely sounds like defective product - I'd ask for an exchange and see whether you have continued problems.

fwiw - I should be receiving a Coleman Audio PS1P which is a passive  4 in / 3 out router with a passive 1/2 db stepped attenuator for evaluation soon - so I'll post my thoughts on it after I test it out.

The Coleman piece goes for around $700 so while it isn't as cheap as the PVC it definitely is a lot less than the Avocet.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 02:12:41 PM »

Sounds like a crappy pot..

Just buy this Shallco from Gary, it's the best there is and he's selling it for only $175...

[Edit: it can now be found here - somebody's gonna get a great deal...]

Quote:

Shallco 2500 Ohm Stereo Attenuator. I used this as a passive gain control between a Benchmark DAC-1 and a Bryston/B&W N802 setup in my facility. Worked flawlessly. Bridged-T (unbalanced), 2500 Ohms in and out. 60dB of attenuation in 30, 2 dB steps. In excellent condition. This is around 14 months old. I had shallco custom build this for me. Vishay resistors. This was $300 new and a 3 week wait. $175 plus shipping/insurance.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ed Littman

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 05:33:36 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 13:58

Definitely sounds like defective product - I'd ask for an exchange and see whether you have continued problems.

fwiw - I should be receiving a Coleman Audio PS1P which is a passive  4 in / 3 out router with a passive 1/2 db stepped attenuator for evaluation soon - so I'll post my thoughts on it after I test it out.

The Coleman piece goes for around $700 so while it isn't as cheap as the PVC it definitely is a lot less than the Avocet.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I went to his new site & could not find the prices.
That said, i have the M3Ph & for most likely a few more $$.From what i could see you get l/r mute & mono switches, along with 3 outputs one of them can be wired for some nice meters. I got some nice Dorroughs coming out of that box.
Is their any other difference?
Ed

hollywood_steve

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 04:45:42 PM »

I would definitely talk to NHT.  I have a PVC also and have had no problems similar to yours.  I no longer use it since I purchased an API 7800, but I liked it so much when it was my main fader that I'm keeping it around, just in case.  If I had experienced the problems you did, it would have been gone long ago.

***Just for fun......
I should be receiving my new P&G 3222 stereo fader soon, for use with the API 7800.  I will set up a comparison between the stereo P&G fader and my NHT PVC, and report my findings.

dcollins

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 07:30:30 PM »

hollywood_steve wrote on Thu, 17 February 2005 13:45

I should be receiving my new P&G 3222 stereo fader soon, for use with the API 7800.  I will set up a comparison between the stereo P&G fader and my NHT PVC, and report my findings.

See if you hear any "graininess" with that P&G simply inserted in the chain.  It made a great fade, but I used to have a switch to bypass it until needed.........

DC

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 09:43:08 PM »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to notice that. At the time I built the Quicksilver Messenger Service studio we didn't have enough money to get the P&G faders on our 32 in Soundcraft board so I went with Alps figuring they were disposable and we'd replace them with something better when we had more money. A friend of mine acquired the same board WITH the P&Gs and it sounded noticeably worse. His P&G faders crapped out faster too!

life is amazing

bblackwood

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 08:21:49 AM »

Brandon, what did you decide to do?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bobkatz

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 07:36:27 PM »

Brad's absolutely right. This "used" Shalco is a steal, extraordinary high quality, and ready made for any do-it-yourselfer. Add wires, a knob and a cabinet and you're ready to go.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

bobkatz

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 07:54:44 PM »

I would add one more suggestion, easily implemented, a 0 or -1 dB on a toggle. That way you get 1 dB equivalent steps with no big hassle!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 01:06:38 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 00:36

Brad's absolutely right. This "used" Shalco is a steal, extraordinary high quality, and ready made for any do-it-yourselfer. Add wires, a knob and a cabinet and you're ready to go.

BK

But remember,  it has to be a wooden knob.

Cheers,

Tomas Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

ATOR

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 03:46:16 PM »

If you're looking for a great pot take a look at this one: The DACT CT-2

http://www.dact.com/html/attenuators.html

Read some great reviews about it.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

animix

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 10:36:24 AM »

Been using a PVC for 3 years with no problem. Sounds like you got a dud. Call 'em. They had great customer support last time I talked to them (around 4 years ago) about5 a problem I was having with a power amp.

Doug Joyce
Animix Productions
Durango, CO
ADK Q9450 @  3.2GHz, GA-EP35-DS3, PNY Quadro, 4G RAM, UAD-2 Quad, Magma x 13 w/ 4 x UAD-1 cards, Magma x 13 w/ Multiface, RME MADI, and AES 32, 2 x RME ADI 8-DD, 4 x RME ADI8-DS, 1 x RME ADI-2, Mytek Stereo96 AD/DA, Benchmark DAC-1, Houston, CC121

zetterstroem

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 03:30:25 PM »

don't anybody feel the need for an impedance buffer in a volume control???

noone mentioned that so i guess not...
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

dcollins

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 05:22:42 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 12:30

don't anybody feel the need for an impedance buffer in a volume control???

noone mentioned that so i guess not...

If you use a sufficiently low Z pad, you don't need any active stages...

DC
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 19 queries.