R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Outboard Mic Pre Thread...Renamed  (Read 38531 times)

Lee Flier

Re: The Outboard Mic Pre Thread...Renamed
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2005, 02:10:49 PM »

Yeah I agree with Terry.  I think 16 track 2" is the best format that's ever existed. Smile  I did and do perceive quite a difference with 24, a smaller and less powerful sound stage.  I would rather sync up a couple of 16 track decks if more than 16 tracks are needed, than use a 2" 24 track... although I almost never need more than 24 tracks for anything I do, and often 16 is enough.

wwittman

« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2005, 02:41:17 PM »

Well then I have to ask, Terry,

were they LIKE machines?

I mean I remember some places that had fairly good 16 Tracks and then in came an MCI 24 next to it.. so no shock the 24 sounded crappy.

But a 16 track headstock on an A800 sounds only a tiny bit better to me than 24 on the same GOOD machine.

Also, did you ever hear Roy Thomas Baker's Stephens 40 track?
Sounded as good as many 24 tracks.
And better than any MCI.

There's a lot more to a good sounding machine than the sheer number of tracks.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

compasspnt

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2005, 02:46:32 PM »

Very good point, which I indeed missed.  The 16's in question were 3M...the 24's were MCI.

I agree the difference in 16 and 24 heads on the same Studer machine is less.

By the way, [he said on the outboard mic pre thread] can  anyone comment on the JRF 8 track 2" (with one timecode track) format?  Sure looks good to me.  Available for Studer or Otari.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2005, 03:04:55 AM »

As I said before, my 3M56 just fucking KILLS.  However, I am sad to say that somebody offered me an ARP 2600 w/ keyboard and sequencer, and some cash for it, and I know thw ARP will get far more use than the 3M.  But not having a 3M means I will never have to speak to Corky Tanassee, so it might be worth it.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

wwittman

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2005, 09:01:39 AM »

Well there you go...

I'd bet that comparing the 3M to the MCI even if both were 16 track, would give you the same loss of bass drum punch.

I played around a tiny bit with the 2" 8 track thing.
It wsounds pretty good, naturally, but not night and day and the inconvenience factour is rather large.
For me, it fits into the WWJJD category of looking REALY cool to the client/artiste but for not much gain in quality.

I seem to remember that Michael Beinhorn was also using it at 7.5 ips because he thought the EQ curve sounded better.

I care about good audio as much as almost anyone.
But, at a certain point I start thinking about the song and the performances and other things that I tend to believe, or would like to believe, matter... instead of tweaking every last little drop of audio esoterica.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer

Lee Flier

« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2005, 09:09:30 AM »

I dunno... I agree about the MCI decks but I have heard Otari 16/24 heads on the same machine, more than once, and there's a noticable difference.  But yeah, I've heard the A800 with swappable 16/24 heads and I agree there isn't so much difference.

wwittman

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2005, 02:19:37 PM »

John Stephens always said the trick is REALLY good heads.. he said he spent like three as much per track on his heads as most... that's why he could get 40 tracks on 2" to sound good.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer

J.J. Blair

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2005, 05:13:59 PM »

Back to one of the issues raised (WWJJD).  Has anybody seen the cover of the new EQ magazine?  I just saw it and almost fell on the floor laughing.  It might just deserve its own thread.  If I can't find a pic on the web, I'll scan it and post it.  

I just can't understand why a "producer/engineer" would spend that much time in the mirror to make sure he gives that same 'Zoolander' pose for every picture I ever see of him.  I have a saying that might go back on my signature now: "Friends don't let friends act like rockstars."  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Otitis Media

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2005, 07:10:20 AM »

Hey, you'd look like that too, if the other beater was up YOUR rectum.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

punkest

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2005, 07:38:40 AM »

wwittman wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 21:50

Ruin? maybe not.
But it may not be as consistent as using the desk.

I've just seen too many recordings where you go to mix it and every sound is fine on its own, but there's NO sense of it all hanging together.

I'm not so black and white that I've ever said no one should ever use a scattering of preamps.. I've had to do it sometimes by circumstances...
What I have said and do say is that it doesn't serve most poeple well to THINK that way.

If I gave you a roomful of nothing but an API desk and 30 U-87's and you cannot make a REALLY good sounding record, then you need to learn, a LOT.
And it has nothing to do with equipment.

I agree it has not much to do with equipment,  adding that I prefer a bad recording of good music that an excellent recording of soulless or bad music, BUT good sound is indeed part of our duty, we all know that, and IT CAN BE DONE on different preamps as you already admitted, it relies on HOW YOU DO IT, even though I understand and agree with your point that it doesn't serve most people well to THINK that way.

AND

Please give me an API desk and 30 U87?s!!! I promise it'll come out sounding very good!!! Smile
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.