R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What Neumann mic would you buy...  (Read 7890 times)

brandondrury

Re: What Neumann mic would you buy...
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 08:32:31 PM »

Quote:

I've always just used my 414BULS because that's consequently the nicest mic I have at the moment

In my limited experience, I've never seen a mic that was "nice" for every voice.

Brandon

Beezoboy

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 12:21:04 AM »

I had an U-87i and a Gefell UMT800. I liked the Gefell better on almost everything. The U-87 could be really cool on guitar amp though.

It really just depends on the source. Sometimes a $79 Studio Projects B-1 beat out both of my beloved $2000 mics. Often times a Beyer m-88 beat out the U-87. So with that in mind just get whatever LOOKS COOLEST! Cool

Beez

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 08:29:58 AM »

Beezoboy wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 23:21

Often times a Beyer m-88 beat out the U-87.

i've never tried that comparison....BUT

the M-88 is everything an SM-57 wants to be.

those M-88's RULE!!!!

floodstage

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 04:37:25 PM »

I love my M-88, especially on kik drum. (inside the drum)

bushwick

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 10:07:17 PM »

Quote:

In my limited experience, I've never seen a mic that was "nice" for every voice.

Brandon

A U47 with an M7 can be used on anything and anyone and it sounds amazing...as close to perfection as anything I've ever heard. I have lots of fantastic mics and after basics are done, I can wheel it around the room and get what I want alot of the time.
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

Jan Folkson

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 11:16:49 AM »

brandondrury wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 20:32

Brandon

That's why they make more than one   Very Happy
- Jan Folkson
http://www.janfolkson.com

Noiseless pickups?  What's the point?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 05:39:12 PM »

I agree that the U47 is one of the best desert island mics.  You can record anything with it and it sounds great, considering you know what you're doing.  Vocals, drums, kick, amplifiers (yes, the Beatles used U47s), piano, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass, saxophone, trumpet, you name it.  

Dave Pearlman makes an EF14 tube U47 type mic for about $1,000 that is amazing if you can't afford the real thing.  It of course isn't as good as a real one, but it's a gazillion times better than a Marshall and is really a stellar mic.    And it's built like a goddamn tank.  Anybody who is thinking about the Lawson or Soundelux, check this out first.

Fletcher mentioned the UM70, which of course uses the M7 capsule, as do early U47s.  They are pretty great.  I would use that anyday over a U87.

studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.