R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Neumann mic would you buy...  (Read 7887 times)

AyotteDrums

What Neumann mic would you buy...
« on: February 09, 2005, 12:53:29 PM »

...If you wanted a good used all around mic for anything from vocals to room, etc.
blip blip.

el duderino

Re: What Neumann mic would you buy...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 01:10:16 PM »

without getting into vintage mics, a U87. i've used them as overheads, room mics, on gtr amps, bass amps, piano, percussion and occasionally on vocals (read that as rarely).

AyotteDrums

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 01:16:24 PM »

How do you feel about Soundelux mics?  Also, what would you suggest for vox?  I've always just used my 414BULS because that's consequently the nicest mic I have at the moment
blip blip.

saxist

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 01:26:10 PM »

You may want to look into renting a number of mics for a day and trying them out.  Or find a retailer that will let you try before you buy.  That way you can see which mic works best for you, on the stuff you generally record (and through the equipment you've got).

In terms of your initial question, I'd also say U87.  Soundelux mics are nice, too -- the E47 is great, as is their ELA-M 251 clone.  I also like the Lawson 47 clones (L47MP is probably the best buy of that set, for my money).

EH
Eric Honour
Composer/Audio Engineer/Professor

Fibes

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 02:36:56 PM »

The modern neumann's leave much to be desired IMO.

I second the Soundelux line. We've got a U-95 at the shop that is pretty great for the money. It is now updated and called a U99, except for SPL handling i still like the U95 better for vox.

The E47 is a good bet too or the U195s, or the 251 clone. I don't own em but would if i didn't have to eat.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 02:44:09 PM »

would some one please tell me what the difference is between a soundeluxe U-95, U-99 and U-195 is?

i'd vote for finding a U-95, they are brilliant sounding mics.

BLUE kiwi is awesome.

U87 is decent, not my fav.
if you can find one affordably i'd say a neumann U-67 would be stellar.

sony C-37a
akg C-12a (not a C-12 or C-12VR)
Blue baby bottle

Fibes

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 04:37:12 PM »

The U-95 was updated (I'm not the expert on this) to include a slightly different capsule and a more robust front end. Much like a Distressor i beleive that weak front end contributes to the character of the U-95. the U-99 was much more hyped a bit cleaner to my ears.

The tube u195(s?) went on to be the E47.

U-95/U-99 = U67 clones in marketing land.

The U195s was the U47 equivalent in Marketing land.

Soundelux has realized that using relatively the same numbers helps dumbass consumers make a leap of logic.

It's a great company, i wish i could afford more.  
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

antti

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 06:03:14 PM »

87fet works for lots of things (not my favourite for any though).
TLM170 is also very good for many applications and less coloured.
47fets and KM84 are great for instruments (and some vox).
u47/48 valves are hard to beat, u67 great for lots of things but my
favourite is M49 (for vox and acoustic instruments). CMV-563 is
cool too but not that versatile. With 'new' valves I've had good experince
with M147 on acoustic and M149 on drum ambience and occasional vox.
Friend of mine loves it on banjo.

The one Neumann to have? Depends on your budget really.
I don't own one but would like to own a pair of TLM170s one day..
If I would win in lottery I'd get a pair of M49s. There are a bunch of
other manufacturers too. Why don't you hire a bunch of mics and try them
all? Hope this helps, Antti

twigg

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 12:37:49 AM »

I'm lucky enough to work at a studio with a pair of u47s, a matched pair of u67s and an m49. All modified by Klaus. That being said we also have a u87 (klaus as well), a feti 47 and the soundelux u-195 that has been mentioned somewhere in this thread.

I'm assuming you are on some sort of budget so we'll skip the first 3. However, one of our 67s was out of commission for some time and we were able to put the 87 up (on overheads) in its place without much noticeable difference. This has a lot to do with the Klaus modifications I'm sure. I've worked with 'unmodified' u87s before and almost never been truly happy with the results.

I have tried the u-195 over and over again on a variety of things and have never really enjoyed its sound compared to some of the other stuff we have. Point being that I've been working at this particular studio for about three years now and haven't recorded a single thing with this microphone.

I have had a lot of luck with the Feti 47 as well. Both the 47 & 87 seem to work really well on everything from kick to overheads (on the drums), guitars, bass guitar, vocals, room mics, just about anything you can think of.

Klaus' modifications are well worth the money.

As somebody else suggested you should try a couple mics out before you buy one. Have fun!

Level

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 05:45:47 AM »

None.

I don't subscribe to the brand. I have owned them, don't need any more. Too colored overall. Don't need, unless you give me one. I sold them all to buy better for less. Sorry.

B&K junkie here.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Fletcher

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 10:31:43 AM »

There is more to Neumann than Neumann/Sennheiser... there is also Microtech Gefell/Neumann... with that said the MTG/Neumann UMT-70 is absolutely one of my very favorite Neumann's...
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Fig

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 11:28:49 AM »

NoisyCricket wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 11:53

...If you wanted a good used all around mic for anything from vocals to room, etc.

I've been really pleased with the M149 as room mic, vocal mic, acoustic instruments - haven't tried guitar amps, yet (except as a room mic on big, loud cabs).  Many patterns and simply "real" sounding to my ears.

I'm concerned that you limit your search to Neumann, though, NoisyCricket.  Perhaps you are needing "a client pleaser" or "gear list requirement"?  There are plenty of good recording mics out there, as many have pointed out.

Most recently I procured an old MicroTech Gefell UM70 (I think - its been discontiuned and replaced with the UMT70, there's also one with an "S"?).

Anyway, very impressed so far - genuine M7.  Three patterns - easier to employ that our CMV-563.  I like the M9 (omni cap) on the 563, though - haven't compared them yet.

Looking forward to some downtime to "shoot-out" the 563 (M7, M8 and M9 caps) versus the UM70 in all three patterns.

For my current project, the UM70 is the front-and-center mic on a Decca Tree-type apparatus.  Currently tracking rock drum kit to scratch guitar and bass parts.  Reproduces the room sound very faithfully.

Haven't tried it on vocals yet.

Happy hunting,

Thom "Fig" Fiegle
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

AyotteDrums

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 08:37:45 AM »

the original post was referenced to neumann's, but further down I posted about soundelux mics..  I just am stepping up to a nicer mic and am curious as to what you all think.  I appreciate all the comments!

Chris
blip blip.

j.hall

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 12:07:23 PM »

soundeluxe U-95 gets my hands down vote.

now you just have to find one.

Blue kiwi is another amazing choice and easier to find.

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 04:29:59 PM »

here in Brazil I had situations where "top" producers did not want to record with At4050s, C414s. They just could reach their sounnnnnnd if it were an U87 or a 149.
Unbelievable
Mad
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

brandondrury

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 08:32:31 PM »

Quote:

I've always just used my 414BULS because that's consequently the nicest mic I have at the moment

In my limited experience, I've never seen a mic that was "nice" for every voice.

Brandon

Beezoboy

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 12:21:04 AM »

I had an U-87i and a Gefell UMT800. I liked the Gefell better on almost everything. The U-87 could be really cool on guitar amp though.

It really just depends on the source. Sometimes a $79 Studio Projects B-1 beat out both of my beloved $2000 mics. Often times a Beyer m-88 beat out the U-87. So with that in mind just get whatever LOOKS COOLEST! Cool

Beez

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 08:29:58 AM »

Beezoboy wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 23:21

Often times a Beyer m-88 beat out the U-87.

i've never tried that comparison....BUT

the M-88 is everything an SM-57 wants to be.

those M-88's RULE!!!!

floodstage

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 04:37:25 PM »

I love my M-88, especially on kik drum. (inside the drum)

bushwick

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 10:07:17 PM »

Quote:

In my limited experience, I've never seen a mic that was "nice" for every voice.

Brandon

A U47 with an M7 can be used on anything and anyone and it sounds amazing...as close to perfection as anything I've ever heard. I have lots of fantastic mics and after basics are done, I can wheel it around the room and get what I want alot of the time.
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

Jan Folkson

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 11:16:49 AM »

brandondrury wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 20:32

Brandon

That's why they make more than one   Very Happy
- Jan Folkson
http://www.janfolkson.com

Noiseless pickups?  What's the point?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 05:39:12 PM »

I agree that the U47 is one of the best desert island mics.  You can record anything with it and it sounds great, considering you know what you're doing.  Vocals, drums, kick, amplifiers (yes, the Beatles used U47s), piano, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass, saxophone, trumpet, you name it.  

Dave Pearlman makes an EF14 tube U47 type mic for about $1,000 that is amazing if you can't afford the real thing.  It of course isn't as good as a real one, but it's a gazillion times better than a Marshall and is really a stellar mic.    And it's built like a goddamn tank.  Anybody who is thinking about the Lawson or Soundelux, check this out first.

Fletcher mentioned the UM70, which of course uses the M7 capsule, as do early U47s.  They are pretty great.  I would use that anyday over a U87.

studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 19 queries.