R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Big ZZ Top thread  (Read 119801 times)

Radd 47

Re: The Big ZZ Top thread
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2005, 08:38:50 PM »

Sharped Dressed Man and Gimme All your Lovin clock out at 124 beats per minute. A groove people like for some reason.

Bill Mueller

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2005, 06:21:55 AM »

Sorry Terry.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

compasspnt

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2005, 09:28:15 AM »

As interesting as personal issues regarding ZZ Top, and other artists, may be to all of us, perhaps it is best to confine this Forum to the more technical and production aspects.

In that vein, I think I will for the most part refrain from comment about personal problems, as well as intra-band political  squabbles.  All bands have issues, as we all know, and all bands have their good side.  I prefer here to focus on the music.

Thanks for all of the interest and questions!

Terry  

Radd 47

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2005, 12:10:11 PM »

OK, I fixed the post. Sorry Terry!

Brian Kehew

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2005, 07:46:25 AM »

Everybody loves everybody again! Yay!

I still find it fascinating that one's character can still be so obvious (or missing) on a processed and mixed record.

Rhythmeen, is a wonderful ZZ album (one of the very best songwise), with a real drummer, not a machine. But a different drummer than on the old ZZ albums, for certain. I don't question why even, but the ears don't lie.

(There was a KISS album a few years ago - their first "reunion record" - called Psycho Circus. EVERY Kiss fan I knew spotted the one track Peter Criss actually played drums on...)
Relax and float downstream...

russrags

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2005, 09:00:20 AM »

Rhythmeen:  "Bang Bang My Shang-a-lang"
REALLY
gets me going !!!

I LOVE playing that song at weddings Laughing

Yea .. I like how they went back to beginning with a garage band sound.  As long as they'll keep makin' em ... I'll keep buyin' em.

Russ
http://home.bellsouth.net.p/PWP-russragsdale

John Ivan

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »

Just a comment;

I am a huge Billy/ZZ fan. The thing I find amazing as a writer ,engineer and multi instrumentalist is how you folks shifted gears and reinvented rock and roll not once but, twice. It gives me hope for this Rare Earth thing I'm doing. We are writing for a new record and the ZZ top story is great inspiration.

Every Time I hear billy play,on records or live I'm blown away. He just has "IT".

Thanks for the great stories!!
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Brian Kehew

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2005, 06:30:58 AM »

I see now there is a double-disc greatest hits ZZ package out. Anyone heard it yet? Original mixes and sources? Good mastering?

I still cannot believe Bob Ludwig mastered the "Chrome" box set. Literally some of the worst mastering I have ever heard, from ANY facility. And on such an important project...

rankus

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2005, 03:57:47 PM »

'
'
'
Wow!   What a thread.

I too want to thank Terry for taking the time to answer these questions.  Truly an inspiration to all.!!  (Running to the studio as we speak)  Razz
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Level

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2005, 05:26:54 PM »

Brian, not the worst...but not what I would have expected. I listened to the London originals on vinyl early this week. The good stuff of course.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

compasspnt

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2005, 06:44:20 PM »

Brian Kehew wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 06:30

I see now there is a double-disc greatest hits ZZ package out. Anyone heard it yet? Original mixes and sources? Good mastering?

I still cannot believe Bob Ludwig mastered the "Chrome" box set. Literally some of the worst mastering I have ever heard, from ANY facility. And on such an important project...

Haven't heard the double set...On Chrome, at least most of the sources were original, but I agree that it wasn't the best mastering of the sources.

Brian Kehew

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2005, 06:41:59 AM »

>>On Chrome, at least most of the sources were original, but I agree that it wasn't the best mastering of the sources.<<

Yes, and Hitler wasn't the most humanitarian of leaders!

A/B it with the old "cowboys" greatest hits CD - which was likely done from safety copies - and you'll see how bad it really is! And someone OK'd it.... geeez.

senorsmoke

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2005, 04:27:57 AM »

Totally amazing thread here...thanks Terry.
"Deguello" is a work of absolute genius. I haven't cracked it open in a while but KNOW those sounds in my head. I recall hearing it for the first time in high school and just being in awe of the TONE. Very dry and spacious. Also the rhythm is so "down" and funky...I worked for a year trying to figure out all those guitar parts and trying to find the right inversion to play on "Nationwide"...a simple triad sliding a half step! I'm just realizing also the connections to Memphis and the Hi sound and the Sam and Dave cover. I had thought until this thread that the Top had recorded at Ardent later...when Larry Nix mastered my record there he had told stories of Billy and how great he was and I didn't realize my favorite ZZ Top record was created there.
Also the stories about the punching of the guitar to change chords is just great, and the way you did the drums on "Legs"...jeeeeezzus!!
Last time I was out on tour the fellas and I bought a gas station CD of greatest hits for the van...we were listening just flabbergasted at the shithouse drum sounds someone "updated" for the kids to like. I'm sorry you worked so hard only to be screwed...
What a record though...damn.
George

Brian Kehew

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2005, 01:48:45 PM »

Good interview with Gibbons in Guitar World this month. Some details that actully AGREE with the Truth now and then. And some tall tales too...!

maxim

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2005, 09:52:23 PM »

terry wrote:

"Definitely not a vanity record. It was an attempt to reach ga-multi-platinum status.

However, this is indeed part of the story about which I should not speak."

perhaps, this belongs on a separate thread, but i'm trying to work out why exactly this process often involves replacing the original drummer

it's so common, it's become an arhetypal rock'n'roll story

is it to do with the difference between live playing and recorded drums

after all, it doesn't seem to happen (as much) with other instruments

in my experience, the great drummers i've worked with have all translated well to tape, but not always to the "hit" level

maybe the clue is contained within the word

is "hit" drumming just about hitting the kick and snare hard on the alternate beats, and everything else is detracting from that feel?

i don't want to make this personal, but instead talk about it in a general production philosophy manner

could you elaborate on this phenomenon?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.