R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Budget LDC Overhead Mics  (Read 9496 times)

rockrev

Best Budget LDC Overhead Mics
« on: February 07, 2005, 10:11:57 AM »

Howdy . . . first post.

Right now I don't have much money to spend, and for the longest time I've used SDC's as overheads (AT Pro 37r's & now AKG c430's), but I'd like to try a Glyn John's type setup and I need two LDC's (I use my only LDC - a Gefell UMT70S - for drum room miking in omni mode).  Any suggestions for around $100 each mic?

Thanks,

rockrev
LUXSONUS.com

MYSPACE.COM/MetonicCycle

acorec

Re: Best Budget LDC Overhead Mics
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 10:23:27 AM »

I think you would not go terribly wrong with some Oktava MK012s. These are very good OH mics that tend to tame those overly-brite cymbals. These are the only ones I have and have used.

Now, if you can double your budget, you can hop over to your local GC and get a pair of the GT 44s. These are MDC tube mics that work wonders on drums (single or OH).

At $199/ea they can be used for elec guitars, ac guitars etc. Very good budget mics that take to EQing and positioning very well.

James Duncan

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 01:26:09 PM »

I personally like the AKG 414ULS's as OHs if I have to use a LDC.

I normally prefer SDCs like the KM184's however...
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

hargerst

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 09:01:05 PM »

Since none of these answers really answered your question directly, let me try:

For budget, large diaphragm condenser mics for overheads, at under $100 each, you should try the Studio Projects B1 microphones.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

James Duncan

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 09:52:33 PM »

Quote:

Since none of these answers really answered your question directly, let me try:

Whoops! I missed the $100 budget part of the question! I guess the 414's are definitely out then! Sorry about that!

I really have no clue about the LDCs at that price point, but I'd guess Harvey has a good recommendation with the Studio Projects units...
James Duncan

Napoleon Bonaparte

brandondrury

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 11:38:40 PM »

While sometimes too bright, you can usually snag a couple AT 4033s pretty cheap.

Brandon

hargerst

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 11:53:44 PM »

brandondrury wrote on Mon, 07 February 2005 22:38

While sometimes too bright, you can usually snag a couple AT 4033s pretty cheap.

Brandon

Good idea, but that doesn't answer the question either, since the 4033 is only a 5/8" diaphragm condenser mic. It DOES look like a LDC though.

rockrev

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 12:40:16 AM »

Thanks Harvey.  I hate to shoot so low in price, but I really only need them for a particular project.  If they work out I'll keep them - if not, I'll hit ebay.

rockrev
LUXSONUS.com

MYSPACE.COM/MetonicCycle

Brendan Thompson

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 02:26:28 AM »

rockrev wrote on Tue, 08 February 2005 16:40

I really only need them for a particular project

What if you rent some "money" mics, then?
http://home.no.net/nightguy/images/teambunny2.gif

I'm currently out of my mind, please leave a message after the scream...

James Duncan

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 08:30:37 AM »

Brendan Thompson wrote on Tue, 08 February 2005 02:26

rockrev wrote on Tue, 08 February 2005 16:40

I really only need them for a particular project

What if you rent some "money" mics, then?

I agree 100% here...you will save money, and get top quality!
James Duncan

Napoleon Bonaparte

rockrev

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 08:47:53 AM »

Renting is an excellent idea; however, in "Disgusta," GA there's not a lot of options for renting pro audio.  You could easily find a church PA (the good 'ol Bible Belt) or some stage equipment, but true pro audio for recording?  I'm pretty sure it's "no."  Oh, and the local music stores here are far from competitive, focusing more on cheap drums & guitars.  It's sad.  The good news is it gives guys like me an opening.  I honestly don't mind investing in microphones because they retain their value - unlike plug-ins which easily become "old versions" in months.

Thanks again,

rockrev
LUXSONUS.com

MYSPACE.COM/MetonicCycle

daQuad

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 07:58:17 PM »

How 'bout buying a used pair of something choice, then selling them afterwards.  You wont lose much if any,and you learn something.

CF

"Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa

hargerst

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 11:49:06 PM »

Except the first sentence in his post started out with:

"Right now I don't have much money to spend".

rockrev

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 10:01:42 PM »

I just ordered two Apex 435's for $69 each.  I've read that these things are extremely close to Neumann TLM-103's - every review has been a shocking positve.  They may be cheap, but I'm not looking for the U47 sound - I just want a set of LDC mics for utility/experimental purposes.  I think these will do just fine.

Thanks all,

rockrev
LUXSONUS.com

MYSPACE.COM/MetonicCycle

hargerst

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 11:28:50 PM »

I've never heard the Apex 435's.  Lemme know how you like them after you've lived with em a few weeks.

rockrev

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 12:19:47 AM »

Harvey,

I'll let you know as soon as I get them in.  I have found no credible evidence for this, but the rumor on the net is (don't laugh - or do) several Chinese engineers worked for Neumann in Germany during the Cold War (don't know which factory, Neumann or Gefell).  Anyway, they took their training and the Neumann schematics back to China and started making their own microphones.  Years later we have Apex Electronics.  Again, I cannot verify this information, but maybe you can.  Maybe you don't care - and that's fine by me.  I personally don't care so long as the mics sound decent.

rockrev
LUXSONUS.com

MYSPACE.COM/MetonicCycle

Incognito

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 02:48:03 AM »

I doubt the lineage is correct. Someone I trust speaks very highly of the Apex microphones - particularly the 415 and 460 microphones.  Price is not a factor, apparently they just sound good.  

meverylame

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 05:46:15 AM »

rockrev wrote on Tue, 08 February 2005 08:47

Renting is an excellent idea; however, in "Disgusta," GA there's not a lot of options for renting pro audio.  You could easily find a church PA (the good 'ol Bible Belt) or some stage equipment, but true pro audio for recording?  I'm pretty sure it's "no."  Oh, and the local music stores here are far from competitive, focusing more on cheap drums & guitars.  It's sad.  The good news is it gives guys like me an opening.  I honestly don't mind investing in microphones because they retain their value - unlike plug-ins which easily become "old versions" in months.

Thanks again,

rockrev

Hey man,
    Check out Eclipse Audio in Atlanta, which isn't a killer drive. Hour or two right?
Rented from them several times, and have always been pleased.

Jason
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

James Duncan

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 06:49:40 AM »

I have an old Apex that I modded with a whole new circuit board and components ala Scott Dorsey, and it sound pretty good!!! I am not sure the model number, but it was less than US$100 several years ago.
James Duncan

Napoleon Bonaparte

rockrev

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 09:35:34 AM »

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.apexelectronics.com/

There's one tube mic - the 460 I believe - that looks pretty tasty.  I think it sells for $229 brand new.

rockrev
LUXSONUS.com

MYSPACE.COM/MetonicCycle

rockrev

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 10:21:53 AM »

@Incognito

If you wouldn't mind, ask your friend how the Apex 460 stands up to the MXL v69ME.  You see, the v69 is $299 and is cardioid only, while the 460 is only $229 and is multi-patterned (9 settings from cardioid, to omni, and notches between).  It sounds like a real steal, but does it *sound* like the real deal?  A friend of mine just got a Rode K2 in yesterday.  We tried it out and man was it warm.  I loved the figure 8 for duet vox - several steps away, yet sounding so close & warm.  I would love to try an omni tube mic like this in a drum room (just can't dish out the $800 for the K2 right now)!

Thanks,

rockrev
LUXSONUS.com

MYSPACE.COM/MetonicCycle

japhy4529

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2005, 10:48:26 AM »

Hi - This is a very interesting & timely topic.  

Has anyone heard of (or used) the Apex 210 Ribbon Mic?  It's going for $229.00 on musiciansbuy.com.  It would appeat that they carry the entire Apex mic line.  Anyway, I've been thinking about picking up a Ribbon mic, but so far the price has been the main barrier.  I suppose you can't go wrong for the price, but I also don't want to throw money out the proverbial window.

BTW, the Studio Projects line does sound great.  I have a C1 that I use as a room mic (as well as vox and acoustic guitar).  This is a killer mic for not alot of dough (about $200).  Also, while I haven't heard the B1, I have seen positive reviews on this and other forums.

Good luck!

- tom
"That any of us have jobs is thanks to the bands we get to record and the audiences they have attracted. They are the engine that drags this whole choo-choo of assholes with cellphones behind it, and we should all respect that."
- Steve Albini

Chad Sims

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2005, 06:31:41 PM »

Harvey how do the SP B1's sound without close mics.

Throatsinger

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2005, 02:30:11 AM »

I've had great results with the NTKs as overheads. Definitely worth a try!

jgreenlee

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2005, 09:47:42 PM »

I'm using AT 4040's for OH's.  I won't say they kick ass but they're definitely nice.  I like them better than my KM-184's for OH's.  Compared to the above mentioned 4033's (which I own) I'd say the 4040's are clearer and more articulate in the top end.  One guy on eBay is selling 2 for $200 a pop right now.

Peace,

James

rockrev

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2005, 08:19:46 PM »

Well, I've given the Apex 435's a good trial.  Unfortunately, they don't shine as overheads.  In fact, the Apex 435 doesn't really sound like a LDC - more like a somewhat wider SDC.  On Vox it was certainly thin when compared to a Gefell UMT70S - definitely Chinese and NOT German.  The only applications I found it useful on was acoustic guitar (if you want the shimmer sound) and as a basic room/ambience mic.  I also tried it as a mid mic in a M/S config - not too shabby there either (though it was again, for ambient purposes).

My advice?  Well, for $69 a pop it's not too bad for utility/ambient purposes - but - I'm probably going to sell them and pitch in a little more for the MXL V67 I'm hearing so much about.

rockrev
LUXSONUS.com

MYSPACE.COM/MetonicCycle

junkshop

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 07:37:19 AM »

This is very timely because I've been working on a record lately using the Glyn Johns drum set-up and I've got a bunch of the mics discussed in the thread.
I have a few of the Apex mics - the 420 (LDC with switchable polar patterns) and the 460 (tube with switchable polar pattens)- and they have all of the same problems associated with other Chinese mics. The high end is very britle and harsh even on the tube mic. I've tried them as drum overheads but they don't shine. The tend to make the cymbals sound awful. I also think they're pretty bad for vocals - too sibilant. The 460 is a bit better than the 420 but not by a huge amount (and not for the extra $100 on the price tag). I don't know what I was expecting - tube warmth or something - but it's nothing to write home about. The 420 sounds very similar to the MXL 2001 (which I also have) but for some reason i like the MXL more. I do find uses for the Apex stuff - I like them on acoustic guitar, some electric guitars, and every now and then as a room mic. Lately I've been thinking of unloading the 420 and buying a MXL v67.
For the Glyn Johns set-up I've been using a pair of Oktava 219s. I know these get a bad rap for poor build quality and quality control but I do like them quite a bit. They're a much darker sounding mic and work nicely as overheads. I also like them set up as an XY stereo room mics on quieter songs. You can probably get a pair for just over $100. Just make sure you listen to them at the store and get shock mounts for them.
Dave

rockrev

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2005, 08:05:19 AM »

I too am interested in the MXL V67.  Anyone ever tried these as overheads?

rockrev
LUXSONUS.com

MYSPACE.COM/MetonicCycle

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2005, 11:24:09 AM »

While it isn't an LDC, a used EV RE-15 makes a great sounding overhead mike, better than any inexpensive condenser I've ever tried.

Lee Flier

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2005, 05:54:34 PM »

I would recommend renting too... there may not be anyplace good to rent in Augusta but Atlanta's not too far away and there are some good places here. Smile

Punchmo

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2005, 10:02:41 PM »

Cheap decent sounding LCD's...try a pair of CAD 200's. You should be able to find these for about $100 - $200 each. I used these for a while. I liked them better then SM 81's for O/H's. They were replaced with 414's. I like O/H LCD's for the body.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.