R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mixer....  (Read 3850 times)

AyotteDrums

New Mixer....
« on: February 06, 2005, 11:29:07 PM »

I've been getting more and more into recording/mixing with my band's material.   Please check out a few of these songs and comment.  I am new at it and would LOVE any criticism possible. Very Happy

Thanks!

http://www.compelcreative.com/pp/Explosive.mp3
http://www.compelcreative.com/pp/Feelin.mp3
http://www.compelcreative.com/pp/Swing.mp3
http://www.compelcreative.com/pp/Zao.mp3

The band's name is the Party People
blip blip.

drumsound

Re: New Mixer....
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 02:09:15 AM »

I dig the tunes and the vibe of the band.  It's a very Supergrass feel.  I think the first two could use a "radio edit," I think they're a bit longer than they need to be.  I'd like to hear a little more 'tonal' variation on the vocals.  

Are you the guitar player mixed to the left?  That seems to be the dominant instrument and sometimes people who mix their own material can be guilty of making themselves louder.  I've done this in the past.  
I'm gonna download these songs and listen some more.  I like the music.

Thanks for sharing.

AyotteDrums

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 08:31:15 AM »

Nope, actually i'm the drummer in the band.  I'm sure anyone on here can relate to the 'everyone in the band wants to be the engineer'.

So, this said, our singer and guitarist want to have their time mixing....  frustrating to no end... I know how a mix should sound... yet I am unable to deliver a normal mix because he wants his *************ing guitar higher than all get out.

I wish i could say.. 'hey guys look at this..  someone who records and mixes and has no attachment to the band says dean is too loud...  and i digress..  oh well.

I might copy and email your reply(ies) to them for support of my standpoint, if you dont mind.  I want the album sounding great not sounding like a spotlight on anyone in the band.

Thanks for your input so far, I appreciate it.

----------------------------------------------------
Chris

- I feel happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... i feeeel happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...  *gonk*
blip blip.

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 10:52:18 AM »

if you are relatively new at recording and mixing......nicely done.

first off......every thing below is a mere suggestion and is based solely on my opinion as i hear things through my home stereo....not my mix room monitors

secondly, i really like your band....great energy, smart writing....well done!!

Explosive:

snare and toms need more high end.  overheads need to come up a bit, cymbals sound a bit disconnected from the kit, just in their quieter level.  maybe add a touch of 60Hz to the kick drum....maybe....

add a bit of 60Hz to the bass guitar to round it out a bit more.

guitars seem balanced to me, but i'd bring the drums up a tiny bit....maybe the EQ changes i suggested will do that for you.

often times when you boost high frequencies the apparent loudness increases as well.

i like the vocal effects and all that.....

Feelin:

i'd actually turn the guitars up a bit in this tune, and i'd give the vocal a bump too.

i might try a soft distortion on the vocal in the verse but then open it up in the chorus.....might not work.....who knows until you hear it.....i'd avoid a hard distortion though....just something noticeable but soft.

i might even try some soft clipping on the drums....just dirty em up a tiny bit to in the choruses.

the bridge part is cool...i like the blend and balance.  the drums fading back is a great touch.

the only arrangement thing i might add is that coming out of that quiet part into the verse seems a bit anti-climatic......

Swing:

see drum comments on Explosive.

the guitar on the left is louder then the one on the right.....i'd turn up the one on the right a tiny bit.  hey, it's guitar rock....slam those guitars up as hot as you can in the mix, without losing all the other instruments.

Zao:

oh how queens of the stonage of you!!!

kick drum seems pretty weak on this tune....not sure if something changed or if i'm just tricking myself.

low end of the whole track seems light.

guitars seem more balanced.

all in all, these are decent mixes....not horrible by any means

you should be proud of what you have.

as far as letting other guys in on the mix......two things

1.  keep in mind that it's their record too.  and they should be allowed the chance to be happy with the mix.  gotta find limits to all this and people need to be willing to compromise.....but they should also be allowed to have a voice.

2.  if they want their parts louder ask yourself, "if i listen to their part, can i hear it, or is it too quiet to make out?"  if it's too quiet then ask yourself, "is it really too quiet, or is something else too loud?"

AyotteDrums

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 11:43:11 AM »

Sweet thanks a lot, I really appreciate the comments.  I will let you know once things are remixed.  Oh also... How about the overall brightness?  Dean claims the mixes are too treble-y, and I was pretty sure I had enough to have fairly crisp mixes, yet still not too brash.

Chris
blip blip.

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 11:58:49 AM »

i'd say they sound fine

you might want to add a touch of 250 to the guitars....they seemed a little thin to me

but not harsh

xonlocust

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 07:11:43 PM »

good job!

i really like the band too - where in florida are you? on explosive & swing the bass gtr seems a little loud to me - but just a c. hair - super minute detail.   also, the bass drum seems a little loud relationaly to the rest of the kit - but i'm always putting up way too much room mic sound, so take that with a grain of salt!

see, and i love the room mic sound on the bkd vocal sound on zao.  i disagree with j. on the distorted vocals thing - i already think the distorted vocal thing is overplayed. (and my band did it on our last record too!)

re: gtr player wanting stuff so loud - in order to help make your case, try playing your mixes super ass quiet and then have everyone answer the question of can they hear everything.  

i just had a friends band come back from mastering and they were really unhappy with it, and then they played it to me and the gtrs were waayyyyy too loud. (mixed with the gtr player). now they've gotta go back and remix.  anyway, when i had them listen to it really quiet, even the gtr players all agreed they were too loud in the mix.

anyway, this is all random musing... nothing catastrophic in my mind in any way shape or form.  almost sort of a jim diamond or jack endino sound.... feel proud of your work.

nk

AyotteDrums

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 11:02:25 PM »

I appreciate the comments!  Those guys are killer producer/engineers!  

We're from central FL  around Orlando actually

That's a good idea about checking it really quiet... i do that for my own benefit, never thought about using it as a 'look... here's proof' method.

At times it seems they take it all personally like I don't realize it's guitar rock.  I know this.  I just want the whole mix to be cohesive.  If we had gone to a studio, they wouldnt feel this sense of 'oh i can just go over to the house and change whatever i feel'.  

Ahhhh....  I just want to go to a studio like my other bands had...  and feel no pressure on me...  at least for my band...  I love mixing and engineering..  ive always been artsy and gadget-y as well..  it's the perfect profession for that!

Thanks again for your comment, it was much appreciated.  I don't do anything in a mediocre fashion, so I always check myself or have other people do so...  chiggity check myself before i wreck myself,... ..  um..  ok im out...

blip blip.

AyotteDrums

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 11:11:03 AM »

so, dean had revealed that he was listening to the songs on an ipod through those horrid headphones...  of COURSE it will be trebly
blip blip.

weihfool

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 01:01:02 PM »

Hey Cricket, great stuff!!!

I'm going to take a guess that Dean is the guitar player who's much louder than everyone else?  On Zao it seems that the lead guitar player who's kind of just riffing throughout the tune is much louder than everyone else.

I think your drums and the bass should be a bit louder, but overall it sounds excellent.  Really great, job, especially if you haven't been recording/mixing much or for very long!

AyotteDrums

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 01:15:45 PM »

Yes he is..

Thanks for the compliments!   I have been getting more serious about recording, but overall, probably recorded/mixed about a year and a half maybe...  somewhere around that

I am hoping to do some local recording to afford some preamps etc., as i have none other than my presonus bluetube...

Thanks again!
blip blip.

xonlocust

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 02:34:41 PM »

it's hard being the recorder/bandmember.  both j. and i have given up engineering on the stuff we play on for the most part. (maybe im putting words in your mouth j. - correct me if i'm wrong) for my bands stuff we always go to a real studio, but i still do practice tapes and stuff and record other bands.  for me it was really frustrating worrying about engineering things when i needed to be worrying about musician things.

reason i ask about florida is the gtr player in my band is from miami, and i know a couple people from there.  my girlfriends parents live in sarasota though... eek. not a fun place to vacation.  (well, not my bag...)

AyotteDrums

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 02:58:39 PM »

The only reason i've been to sarasota was to play shows, other than that...

I live in Lakeland..  (it's an hour from tampa and an hour from orlando)

:burp  Razz
blip blip.

Conner

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 03:16:24 PM »

Just a few words about the Party People...fun bunch of guys, just saw them play a show not too long ago here in WPB. Fun set with some really promising material. If I'm not mistaken they are relatively new together, right? (Minus two members who are from a couple previous projects.)
  Can't wait to hear the record. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you NC, we could have had some great conversation. Tell Jacob hello, he just got a copy of the album I did last year, this weekend from Rob (roadie for the Kick and LOR) if you'd like to hear. Good work on the project so far, keep it up!

Keep your eyes on these guys, as well as Discover America who played that show as well. If I'm not mistaken, the lead singer of that band is Chris Staples formerly of 238. They had one of the best sounding indie records IMHO a couple years ago. (James Wisner-eng,prod,mix-Dashboard Confessional, Further Seems Forever, Recess Theory, etc.)Regulate the Chemicals. Some of you might remember, and want to check them out as well.
-Conner

AyotteDrums

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 03:19:27 PM »

Yes that album was incredible!  Chris is definitely talented and is a really nice guy... also funny when drunk too..  heh.. aren't we all? Very Happy

blip blip.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.