R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Situations like this make me smile...  (Read 1577 times)

Bo

Situations like this make me smile...
« on: February 04, 2005, 05:16:36 PM »

As I like to point out as a point of reference, I'm no pro nor am I even a talented novice.  I'm just a guy who occasional helps friends out by tracking their demos.  I like recording, and that's the only reason I do it.  That being said...

I normally record to Digi002 & ProtoolsLE, so yeah its a ghetto fabulous rig...needless to say, I'm reliant on my computer and this lower-end recording interface (along with a random collection of preamps and mics).

So, I get asked to record a track for a compilation on dollhouse (www.dollhouseinc.com).  3 mics: acoustic guitar & vocals - all live.

Well, as I turn to start up the session - the Digi002 quits.  This is just making my morning, and I figure out its the "wonderful" firewire connection.  This thing isn't going to respond.

This is why I love impulse - we grab an old cassette 4-track, blow off the dust, plug in outputs from the preamps, and just go.

I later panned the tracks to where I wanted them, dumped a stereo 2-track to my computer, mixed it till I could squeeze anymore from my skills and the limits of the situation.  Printed it to disc.  Nervous as heck that everybody would hate it.

They are very pleased.  It will get mastered and the compilation comes out on the 22nd.

It's all about fun.  If Ben Gibbard can make All-Time Quarterback this way...then I might just be using lo-fi gear to make interesting recordings in the future.

"knifing prostitots - one at a time"

j.hall

Re: Situations like this make me smile...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 05:38:32 PM »

way to think on your feet.

i'm often amazed at how some people deal with problems

it seems that problem solving skills are diminishing in studios.

as bands and artists feak out of technical difficulties it IS our job to stay calm and quickly present another option.

i'd love to hear the 4 track cassette gritiness.....

let me know if you have an mp3

mogwailoveyou

Re: Situations like this make me smile...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 05:41:03 PM »

haha sounds like fun. although i wouldn't use all-time quarterback as a reference for good 4-track recording... centro-matic does it with style (then again they have matt pence on their side...) or even better, daniel johnston... now that's anti-engineering analog genius.
mogwai love you and need you
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.