R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jamaican singer gets 15 days jail term for swearing onstage  (Read 2924 times)

RMoore

Jamaican singer gets 15 days jail term for swearing onstage
« on: February 03, 2005, 07:17:59 AM »

Reggae Star Sizzla Jailed in Jamaica for Profanity
 Wed Feb 2, 2005 06:37 PM ET                  

KINGSTON, Jamaica (Reuters) - Jamaican reggae star Sizzla,  already controversial because of his lyrics attacking gays, was  sent to prison for two weeks on Wednesday after being convicted  of using profane language.

Sizzla, whose real name is Miguel Collins, was told to  serve 15 days in prison by a magistrate who said that he was  determined to stop artists and entertainers from using  profanity.

Sizzla was charged with using expletives on stage under the  Town and Community Act, a British colonial-era public order law  that prohibits indecent dress or expression.

Sizzla was arrested at the end of a reggae show in the  eastern parish of St. Thomas on Jan. 2. Police said that he  consistently used foul language during a performance on stage,  despite being warned against it.

Sizzla has had several brushes with the law over his use of  profanity and, like other Jamaican reggae artists Beenie Man,  Buju Banton and Shabba Ranks, has become a controversial figure  because of anti-gay lyrics.

In November, Sizzla had to cancel a concert in Britain  after protests by gay rights groups who said his lyrics  appeared to incite the killing of homosexuals.

Many Jamaican entertainers have been hauled before the  courts for use of profanity in recent years. But they usually  get away with a verbal warning, a suspended sentence or a  sentence to do community service.                                  

People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

RMoore

Re: Jamaican singer gets 15 days jail term for swearing onstage
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 07:19:22 AM »

Maybe he will use the time to reflect on some of his other lyrical content..

BTW - the 'real' reason probably has to do with recent friction between his 'posse' and local thugs in which people were killed.

We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

Samc

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 08:42:09 AM »

Ryan Moore wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 12:19

BTW - the 'real' reason probably has to do with recent friction between his 'posse' and local thugs in which people were killed.

I think it might be better if you write about things you actually KNOW about instead of making potentially libelous statements!

I think you should also know that this law is being used to stop entertainers from using lewd and vulgar language at shows billed as "all ages" or "family" shows.  It does not apply to adults only shows.
Sam Clayton

el duderino

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 01:39:50 PM »

i didn't know bush appointed judges in jamaica Shocked

oh wait, that couldn't be, bush doesn't like gays either, he thinks they are destroying the morality of this country.

or did colon powell's kid take a trip to jamaica since he resigned from the fcc?

oh no, now i got it, the jamaican politicians got together, smoked a fatty, and talked about family values.

why are 99% of the people who govern or are otherwise in control of other people in this world retarded? Sad

Sahib

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 03:34:17 PM »

I do not know Sizzla at all but I really have a problem with people whether artists or dustmen whose poetry is based on foul language. As for his precudices on homosexuals, he should know better, all he has to do is to look at the colour of his skin and think.

Cemal

t(h)ik

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 12:30:51 PM »

Quote:

why are 99% of the people who govern or are otherwise in control of other people in this world retarded?

A rhetorical question?

Lemme nough

TIK
I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

RMoore

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 10:45:53 PM »

Samc wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 14:42

Ryan Moore wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 12:19

I think it might be better if you write about things you actually KNOW about instead of making potentially libelous statements!

I think you should also know that this law is being used to stop entertainers from using lewd and vulgar language at shows billed as "all ages" or "family" shows.  It does not apply to adults only shows.

Maybe you thought I made this up?

The friction has been widely reported in the Jamaican press with the most recent incident as follows..:

Sizzlas August town community hit by open War...

RMoore

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 09:53:56 AM »

Hi folks - just to point out with the above thread cuz maybe thats not clear:
I don't mean to imply the artiste Sizzla himself is involved with gang activity of any kind or create a negative image of Jamaican artists, only I'd seen this news item of a music artist getting actual jailtime, not just a fine or whatever, for swearing onstage so thought that was kind of newsworthy.

I was also aware of reported ongoing frictions over the last while between certain people from outside  the community and people from his 'Judgement Yard' compound..
FWIW - as I understand the deaths that occurred  were all on the side of people from Sizzla's own community / area. So once again, nothing implied or otherwise as to Sizzla being involved in gang activity, shootings etc...
Hope thats clear now!
Thnx,

And by the way - the problems with violence in Jamaica reported in the media , or here, are primarily limited to a few troubled inner city areas in the nation's capital where tourists or outsiders would <never> venture or end up anyway...
So don't be afraid to go to JA on holiday..
I know I will be soon..

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.