R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lenny's Guitars  (Read 5252 times)

Kevin Perry

Lenny's Guitars
« on: February 02, 2005, 09:44:20 AM »

Pleasure and an honor Terry....

Just curious about guitar amps and mic'ing on Lenny's stuff.  How much POD (if any) was used?  And more than Lenny.....what's your poison when it comes to electric guitars in general?  (mics, preamps)

compasspnt

Re: Lenny's Guitars
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 11:40:23 AM »

Kevin Perry wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 09:44

Just curious about guitar amps and mic'ing on Lenny's stuff.  How much POD (if any) was used?  And more than Lenny.....what's your poison when it comes to electric guitars in general?  (mics, preamps)

Hi Kevin,

Guitar  is certainly a big love of mine.  I have been very fortunate to have worked with many great players, and I'm sure they, with their talent, sounds, and expertise have made my end of the job pretty easy.

There was absolutely NO Pod on the Lenny "5" album, or on anything I've done with him.

LK has a lot of very cool vintage guitars, so it would be difficult to single out a main one.  He played a lot of Strat, and Les Paul as well.  One instrument we used quite a bit (the one playing the riff in "Fly Away" for instance) is my Les Paul Gold top (1984 Gibson Custom Shop Anniversary issue).  This particular one is VERY VERY heavy; the wood is obviously very dense, and it has a tremendous thick sustain-y sound.  We often ran this, and other guitars, through my 60's Fender Deluxe Blackface amp.  I usually (depending on loudness/amount of air moving) mic'd with a  Neumann U48 in cardiod, about 6-8" from the 12" speaker, slightly angled, but pointing towards the edge of the cone.

Of course, there were many differing setups.  One thing I like to do is vary the mic choice or placement with almost every song.  This goes for vocals, drums, piano, whatever, not just guitars.  I find that it makes for a much more interesting and representative album than just using a static setup for every track.  This way I can tailor the sonics to what's required for each song.

On LK's album, I changed the drum location (within the room), as well as the mics, on every song, and sometimes even WITHIN a particular song for various sections (but not while he was playing).

For guitar, I guess anything can go at any time, but in general I like for loud guitars to use the ubiquitous 57 or 421 or 160, usually pretty close-mic'd.  If the song calls for it, I will sometimes add a tube room mic such as a U47 at whatever distance appropriate.  Recently I've started using the R

jfrigo

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 11:51:56 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 08:40

on tape, I'll often decide the mix (checking phase relationships!!!) between the two right then...no need to put off every decision until later.  The Beatles didn't have that luxury, and they did alright.

The ability to commit is an important lesson for many young engineers today. If you leave all decisions for later, not only will it be a long and arduous mix process where the concentration is on the mechanics of assembly rather than the creative mixing process to best highlight the musical vision, but also the overdubs probably won't serve the track as well as they aren't being perfomed to a cohesive song with a clear musical direction.

Kevin Perry

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 02:10:33 PM »

Thanks Terry......you dispelled a great myth thats been out there that Line6 was somehow involved in that record.

Here I am raising my glass to the web....making it possible to ask questions to people I admire that I may have never had opportunity to.

compasspnt

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 03:19:38 PM »

Kevin Perry wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 14:10

...you dispelled a great myth thats been out there that Line6 was somehow involved in that record.

One thing that may have contributed to that was that LK does, and did then, own one of the Line 6 guitar amplifiers...(not the Pod, although he certainly may own one, plus I have used them elsewhere, and own one myself).  We tried that L6 amp out once, but didn't necessarily like it for the purpose at hand, so we didn't use it at that time.  But most of the guitars were done through what I previously mentioned.

T
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.