R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: henchman vs vincent (was 'Cello Studios closes down')  (Read 6323 times)

Fibes

Re: henchman vs vincent (was 'Cello Studios closes down')
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 12:45:09 PM »

Quote:

Being a professional means making a living from your profession full-time. Which is what I do.
I make a full-timne living from being an Audio-Engineer. And from various facets of Audio-Engineering and music production.

Obviously the cats at Cello and The Hit Factory are no longer professional.

Some of the best records made as of late have been done by what you would classify as "hobbyists." i still find those albums to be important.

OTOH, i'm not defending Curve, I'm simply stating that in this climate "you gotta make what you can get."

I consider myself a factotum, something that comes in quite handy in the studio environ.

Looking back on last years stats (at tax time) i made 14 albums last year; not including EPs, demos and other crap. If 60% of my income comes from another area am i a hobbyist? All That Jazz said (in december) one of my productions was one of the top ten productions of last year. WTF?

Living in a small market has forced me to think outside of the box, it also keeps me fresh and safe from burnout.

That said, competing with amateur blowhards on a daily basis is frustrating because the people are getting dumbed down due to the overuse of words such as: Pro, professional, first rate, high quality or whatever. Words mean nothing anymore, i live and die by my work and I expect others to do the same.

Keeping, diversified, a competant staff, decent gear and a strong work ethic has worked for me. Having to turn tricks on the street to pay the huge nut of a giant room/console/mic locker would still put me into the "hobbyist" category 'cause that shit is pretty hard to fly; look at Cello and T.H.F.

BTW i'm not attcking or defending either of you, merely stating a point of view.

Hobbyist out...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

henchman

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »

Fibes wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 12:45

BTW i'm not attcking or defending either of you, merely stating a point of view.

Hobbyist out...

I don't find post any kind of attack. It's constant remarks like this from Eric that piss me off, and force me to come on these boards and defend what I do for a living.
Eric just doesn't relaise what a sitting duck he is, and how easy it can be to take personal shots at him.

Quote:

Personally, I judge people more by the quality of their work, than by how many TV rerun overdubbing hours they've clocked.

Sahib

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 03:46:29 PM »

henchman wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 20:41

I'm just sick and tired of hearing Part-Time/Hobbyists making comments on an industry they've never actually worked in.
They have no valid point of view whatsoever.

In my opinion that depends on the subject matter of the comment. If the person has no experience on a, say technical issue that he is commenting on then after the second line you the experienced will deciphere him that he is a bull shitting idiot. But there are so many other issues in this industry that one can make a comment without working in it. So I wouldn't go as far as saying that they have no valid point of views.

henchman

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 04:18:51 PM »

Sahib wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 15:46

In my opinion that depends on the subject matter of the comment. If the person has no experience on a, say technical issue that he is commenting on then after the second line you the experienced will deciphere him that he is a bull shitting idiot. But there are so many other issues in this industry that one can make a comment without working in it. So I wouldn't go as far as saying that they have no valid point of views.

So, do you think ,going to a Movie, buying some books, then buying a digital camera to make a lowbudget movie make syou an expert on how bigbudget movies are made.
And how large Post-Production facilities should be run?

It's the same thing.

Having a Digi 001 in your bedroom does not make you an expert on how a major fcility works, or how major sessions are run.
No matter how many books you read.

Spending a couple of thousand hours in such sessions gives you a bit better idea on what goes on behind the closed doors of the control room.

Otitis Media

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 04:51:20 PM »

Exactly, Hench.  Having also done audio post and music (on a much smaller scale, thank you!) I can unequivocally say that running a business is totally different from knowing how to run a console.  In fact, having also run my own business, I discovered rather quickly that the person running the business should be a BUSINESS PERSON, not an engineer/producer/etc.  

There are a lot of people talking out their ass on this thread, attacking the few who are actually sizing things up realistically, rather than romantically.  

A damn shame about both the facilities this week - hopefully they are re-invigorated soon.  
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

Sahib

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 05:38:17 PM »

henchman wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 21:18

Sahib wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 15:46

So, do you think ,going to a Movie, buying some books, then buying a digital camera to make a lowbudget movie make syou an expert on how bigbudget movies are made.
And how large Post-Production facilities should be run?

It's the same thing.

Having a Digi 001 in your bedroom does not make you an expert on how a major fcility works, or how major sessions are run.
No matter how many books you read.

Spending a couple of thousand hours in such sessions gives you a bit better idea on what goes on behind the closed doors of the control room.

Let me make a bit sense out of this. I did not make a comment on any of the things that you mention. In contrary I said that you would easily pick out the idiot with a Digi 001 in his bedroom. However,this industry (I'll take it as music)is not all about sitting behind the mixing desk and tweeking with the knobs. I'll say again that there are so many other areas that one can make a comment without having worked in this industry. For example, publicity. You do not have to have worked in music industry to make a comment on how to create publicity for your artist. You may have worked in an opera company as a publicist but this does not mean that your views on creating publicity in music industry is invalid. So if you are narrowing down your opinion on the recording aspects of the business then make it clear but do not generalise.

Curve Dominant

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 06:08:18 PM »

Hey, Henchie,

It's nice to see you've been enjoying my website!

I had a feeling you of all people would especially appreciate that technical page.

henchman

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 06:56:41 PM »

Eric Vincent wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 18:08

Hey, Henchie,

I had a feeling you of all people would especially appreciate that technical page.

I would call it a page of disinformation.

malice

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 08:17:43 PM »

[quote title=Fibes wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 18:45]
Quote:

Some of the best records made as of late have been done by what you would classify as "hobbyists." i still find those albums to be important.

Henchman said "part time hobbyist" ...

not "hobbyist" ...

there is a nuance I guess Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

malice

Fibes

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2005, 10:33:07 AM »

Is there such a thing as full time hobbyist? If so, that's where it's at. No have to workee... knuck, knuck.

Owning a room is a PITA.

A total fucking PITA.

I have some anon doucebag who is a psychotic liar dogging me on a local music website right now. The reason? Because I figured out his new alias by his writing style, it's pretty plain to see... He's certifiable, talking shit about my work, simply because he is a sociopathetic liar and i caught him. I can't say or do what i would like to everyone knows his issues but since I run a business I have to tread lightly. The disadvantages of being a known non-anon entity sucks.

So anyone want to play pile on the liar? If so, PM me.

The industry is in transition, as it always has been. You either move with it or get run over. The bigger you are, the harder it is to zig zag...    
Fibes
The Studio

Level

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2005, 01:46:25 PM »

Anyone talking trash about your work is simply Jealous of it Fibes.

People talk "trash" and make up storys about me all the time. If anything it "helps" business. Smart people can see right through the bullshit. Example being, I mention an event I was honored to be in..it gets twisted into something much larger than it really was. Then THAT get elaborated on. before you know it, the detractors will have you doing amazing feats, far outside of anything imaginable.

Take a look at Chris Moon. The facts of his accomplishments are here:

http://www.pro5.com/moon/bio1.htm

Look at the last paragraph. I know this to all be true.

I saw threads which exaggerated these accomplishments where he actually ATE the head hunters...

Just ignore it fibes. Best advice one can give. I have gigs of bullshit printed about me, total exaggerations of detractors and high school dropouts. If only they knew who was laughing at them...
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Han S.

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2005, 05:20:02 AM »

Eric Vincent wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 23:08

Hey, Henchie,

Eric, I am one of the individuals here who finds it quite annoying that you like to belittle people like Henchman, who's name is Mark btw.

Being a recording dwarf yourself, you should have more respect.

@Henchman: je moet die gast laten lullen, hij is er al jaren op uit om rotzooi te trappen, leest te veel boeken die hij niet begrijpt en is een kok ergens in een hotelkeuken, die graag met de grote jongens wil meepraten, maar het is geen onaardige jongen.

Fibes

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2005, 10:03:35 AM »

Thanks to everyone who lended their support. We sussed out the liar in no time, it was comical, very sad but...

It's tough times to be running a room right now but there are a few  ideas that have been touched upon which will remain needs no matter where technology takes us: Real engineers with talent and well done acoustic spaces. I run a project studio and the thing i long for more than anything is a better sounding room. I'd trade some gear to have that... As per the talent in the shop, who knows?

The room is essential IMO. I feel that a lack of access to good rooms (and engineers) is what's killing sonics more than anything.
The bar has been lowered to "acceptable" and we are all suffering through it. Time to adapt. It's good to know that Steve does records from 1-5000 dollars, it's my bread (no butter). it is a reality and sometimes can be a great surprise but the oneness is totally on the band in these scenarios. I for one like that.

Thanks again y'all.
Fibes
The Studio

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.