R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WELCOME From Terry, Here's what we're about here...  (Read 33832 times)

compasspnt

WELCOME From Terry, Here's what we're about here...
« on: February 01, 2005, 03:46:46 PM »

Hello all,

Since I've been asked to host this guest forum, and most of you probably don't know who I am, I guess I'll have to give a short synopsis, just to generate some topics here.  Don't usually like bios, discographys, public displays, and such, but well, here we are, so...

Started in professional music recording in the early 60's in El Paso, Texas, playing in my band, and with my friend Bobby Fuller, who later had The Bobby Fuller Four out of LA.  Bobby & I both had what would now be called "home" studios, but then it was all we could get.

Moved to Memphis in '63 and began working at Stax Records and Ardent Studios as musician, engineer, producer, writer, etc.  Tracked and/or mixed (often as engineer for producer/co-mixers such as Steve Cropper or Willie Mitchell) many of the things out of that area such as Isaac Hayes, Staple Singers, All Green, The Box Tops, Albert King, Otis Redding, Percy Sledge, many blues artists, and so on.  Learned much of engineering techniques from the great John Fry, engineer extraordinaire, and owner of Ardent.

Began producing within a couple of years (whether co-producing at Stax with the likes of Al Bell, etc., or independently for much of the rock music of the region).  Started a label with my friend and partner John Fry (Ardent Records) and we came up with groups such as Big Star, Cargoe, and others.

Engineered part of Led Zeppelin 3, mixed it, and mastered it, for my good friend Jimmy Page.

Engineered ZZ Top for many years, all the albums from Tres Hombres through Eliminator.

Expanded producing base with artists such as Joe Cocker, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Joe Walsh, Jason & The Scorchers, George Thorogood & The Destroyers (did all of theirs through '94) and many others.  Discographys are out there somewhere if you really care enough to look for them.

Moved to London in mid-80's, and based myself out of Abbey Road Studios.

Back to Memphis where I bought a studio building, and ran a 2 studio operation for several years.

Moved to Nassau, Bahamas in '92 to partner with Chris Blackwell in revitalizing Compass Point Studios, one of the great recording facilities of modern music.  It had fallen down a bit, and CB wanted to "bring it back."  My wife Sherrie and I did that, and that's where I am today (comping those vocals.)

Some more recent work has included the Lenny Kravitz "5" album (the one with "Fly Away") and Shakira's "Laundry Service," each of which took well over a year to record.  Just recently have been working with the great talent Jesse Harris, on his solo works,

Today am in the studio with "Red Phoenix" from Australia; tracked it in Sydney, and now doing overdubs and mixing here at Compass Point.  About a three-four month project.

Here at CP, we have 2 large studios, and cater to many styles of music from all across the world; a somewhat eclectic and exciting mix of styles and great people.  I do most of my work here, and also mix for other projects, and master as well on occasion.

I have a company called Lucas Engineering which make tube (valve) Limiters, Equalisers, and mic pre's, as well as the non-tube "Deceiver" guitar recording/distribution box.  We sell it to a few people, but try not to let it get out too much; I need to use it myself!

That's about it for now.

I'll start answering the already posted questions late tonight when today's session work is finished!

All the best,

Terry Manning

Jason Phair

Re: WELCOME From Terry, Here's what we're about here...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 11:19:04 PM »

Awesome.

Reading your posts here and there, I've been wanting to see more from you!
Jason Phair
Advanced Production Group
Dunkirk, NY
http://www.advancedproductiongroup.com

Formerly:
Sound Services
SUNY Fredonia

Get that fucking thing off my vocal will ya?

Thanks.

archtop

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 11:29:08 AM »

Wow two days in and this is already my fav R/E/P spot.

Your tell it like it is, non brovado style is 23 skidoo Smile  
Richard Williams

hargerst

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 09:51:11 AM »

archtop wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 10:29

Wow two days in and this is already my fav R/E/P spot.

God, help me, but it's mine, too. And after reading everything here, only then do I go see what's in my forum. Terry's responsible for a lot of my all time favorite records.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

drumsound

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 10:53:23 PM »

Welcome Terry.  We're glad you're here.

Bill Mueller

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 12:35:26 AM »

Terry,

Welcome!

You left out Shania.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 12:36:46 AM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 00:35

Terry,

You left out Shania.

Best Regards,

Bill

Which Shania?

russrags

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 10:29:52 AM »

Welcome Terry,

Me tooooo as this is my 1st post to this forum.
I've always been a HUGE fan of your work, starting with Led Zep3, but mostly ZZ.  

We have a mutual friend in Texas as I'm from Tyler. In 1982 I started spending a lot of time at Robin Hood Bryans Studio. Robin showed me a lot back then and am still very thankful today for his help with my dream of being a recording engineer.  

Those 1st few ZZ Top albums I bought were on 8-track tape and vinyl.  Once they were available on CD I was able to close my eyes and listen, transport myself right into the room those records were recorded in... great fun.  Then in the 80's they got REALLY fun !!!

Now celebrating 20 years as a professional in the business, 10 yrs in LA / 10 yrs in Nashville.  I'm very thankful for all the fine music you have made Terry, which has certainly affected the way I listen.

More later .. I've got to comp a few vocals too.

Russ
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-russragsdale

Tonelux

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 12:22:19 AM »

Hey Terry, Paul Wolff here.  When are you going to do another LK record?  He needs you...

I hope all is well, almost got down there last summer, but I quit API and had to get my shit together with Tonelux.  Soon...
www.tonelux.com
As I look behind me, I see my past getting further away...

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 12:52:27 AM »

Tonelux wrote on Sat, 12 February 2005 00:22

Hey Terry, Paul Wolff here.  When are you going to do another LK record?  He needs you...

Hello Paul!  Great to see you here, as it is always great to see or hear from you!

I don't know when, if ever, that I will do another Lenny album.  We have talked about it a couple of times since my leaving after "5," but nothing concrete.  My busy schedule wouldn't allow it at the time, because I had started the Shakira album, and that went on for 14 months...that left little time for anything else.  Hopefully someday, though.  I think LK is a very talented guy, and we worked well together.

For those few of you in this forum who might not be aware of it, please check out Paul's great new Tonelux gear!

http://www.tonelux.com/

Paul was THE man at API for many years, and was responsible for the continuance of that great line with very high quality, and also for the introduction of several great and useful new API products utilizing the classic components.  Now he has left API, and has founded Tonelux.  There he is designing innovative components for custom console creations of any size.  That's my shameless plug for Paul, since he didn't do it himself!

Terry

Tonelux

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 10:37:54 AM »

Quote:

http://www.tonelux.com/

Paul was THE man at API for many years, and was responsible for the continuance of that great line with very high quality, and also for the introduction of several great and useful new API products utilizing the classic components.  Now he has left API, and has founded Tonelux.  There he is designing innovative components for custom console creations of any size.  That's my shameless plug for Paul, since he didn't do it himself!

Terry

I love my shameless friends...
www.tonelux.com
As I look behind me, I see my past getting further away...

Dodge Rambler

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 04:08:00 AM »

Listen to me, what kind of microphone did youse use on The Ramblers albun.
was it a sure or a sure fire?
D

Collins

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 10:03:55 AM »

Hi Terry,

Just wanted to take a minute to say thank you for
a most pleasurable Internet experience. In your
time here at this forum, i've found out much about
some of the most talented people. Many that have been
and are still very influential to me.

I really appreciate your open, honest discourse on all
the topics that have been presented.  It is very
refreshing to see that you are 'real' guy and not
one who uses a crazy fluff and chaff alias to hide your
identity.  And why would you?....
I mean, with your tremendous body of work, it's great that
you are willing to share these stories and be accountable
for them as well!

For a regular guy like me, it is a rare chance to
'Touch the Emperor's Robe' as it were.

Thank You Again!

Respectfully,

Paul

compasspnt

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 06:43:52 PM »

Dodge Rambler wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 04:08

Listen to me, what kind of microphone did youse use on The Ramblers albun.
was it a sure or a sure fire?
D

Well, I almost hate to answer this one.  The only mic I'd use now would be a "shure-ly not!"

I hesitate to admit it, but I did once have the somewhat dubious privilege of working with the famous New Zealand band, The Ramblers.  They are legendary inside of Kiwi Country, somewhat akin to a Clash-meets-Sex Pistols-meets-The Kingsmen type band, known for being so crass and intrusive, that it's almost good.  They tore it up back in the 70's and early 80's, but I thought (and had hoped) that they had finally "hung it up."  Now the big NZ newspaper, The Herald, from Auckland, have done a retrospective saga, and that's "stirred up the hornet's nest," so to speak.  Now they want to record again!  I fear we haven't heard the last of The Ramblers.  Anyone interested can go to:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz

and do a search for "Ramblers" or  "Ramblers saga."

But be forewarned.

Terry

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 10:27:59 PM »

Ya the boss!
Just to say hello from the very south of Brazil
Nice week
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.